Mississippi Burning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mississippi Burning Reviews

October 9, 2016
When i was young i was pretty shocked seeing this. But i have to admit that living in Germany at the time this was made it was nearly impossible to have an idea what really happened in the wake of the fight for equality...just imagine not having a global source like the internet nowadays. Today i have to say that this movie is not really showing the facts like we know them today. Its pretty obvious that the black community wouldn't have reached anything if they would have let fight their fight by white people...all they achieved they did by putting their own skin at risk. Beside of that was the role of the FBI not so glorious like they wanna make us believe here. Based on facts we know today it seems more like the feds had been a part of the problem more than being a solution.
Rating this setting aside the historical implicatuons it isn't a bad mivie...but the topic us too important to muschi around here...
September 18, 2016
The civil rights era is one that still stands the test of time and the 1960's was when it was at the height of its notierty. Martin Luther King gave his I have a dream speech, Malcolm X was assissanted along with MLK, The march on Selma happened, the Freedom Riders and the murders of Civil rights workers. Mississippi Burning winds the clocks back to 64 when those murders happened. The movie looks at the efforts of two FBI agents to find some measure of justice for the blacks in the south, but just like any task of this kind it is not easy.
Alan Ward and Rupert Anderson are sent down from DC to Mississippi to investigate the disappearance of three civil right workers. Ward is a deadest no nonsense agent while Anderson is a bit of shady realist type agent who knows the south well. Ward and Anderson quickly find out how much the a small town in the state is on edge and how the KKK has installed fear in everyone, especially the blacks. This makes the investigation the agents came down for that much harder.
its very real film about a time where everything was tense. Alan parker really captures mississipi well at this time. it was a real nightmare for blacks. I mean parker does a really great job of instilling a tenseness in the atmosphere of Mississippi. the racism in the state is so evident thanks to this. interesting how they applied the news broadcast elements into it as well with the interviews. adds a sense of realism to this ficitional story based on real events
gene Hackman never seems to disappoint. Anderson knows the ways of this small town and yet makes it really unclear if he is trying to derail wards investigation or is trying to give him the right guidance in solving this murder. he played him as not only someone who jumps both sides of the fence but is fearless against the white supremiscts of the south. willem defoe plays an slightly idealistic and no nonsense man who doesn't know what he's messing with here in Mississippi. frances mcdormand was excellent here! I was worried she was gonna play a generic like character but this one was intriguing as she was one of the few townsfolk to actually sympathize with black folks and was fascinated by this rare attempt at order by the fbi agents
I really liked the script for this film It was so nicely written. I liked the music too I was trying to find that main theme online but no luck. Anyway folks go check out Mississippi Burning
September 16, 2016
Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe give the most believable performances ever in a movie. However I don't find it a positive thing that a movie this racially charged was made. But nonetheless it is a part of Hollywood history now.
July 18, 2016
One of the most intensely gripping movies I have ever seen.
½ May 18, 2016
Hated this movie. It was a melodrama. Cardboard characters. Good against total evil. Sure there are such racists who are totally evil. But this seemed way over the top. That was my reaction while watching it. But looking at the trailer again now, if that is how the movie was, then I should watch it again and reconsider.
½ April 22, 2016
A very thought provoking movie. It has its glitches but overall very impressive. Gene Heckman absolutely killed it.
½ March 22, 2016
??? ??????? ????????? ?? ??????? ???????? ? ????? ????? ?? ?????? ??? ?? ?????? ??? ?? ????? ????? ??? ??? ?? ?????? ?????? ??? ?????, ''??????'' ??? ?????? ?? ?????. (?????? ???? ??? ??????????)
March 15, 2016
So, I'm like a lot of suspense thrillers. This movie based on the real life murder of three civil rights activists was incredibly telling. Gene Hackman is, and always has been, one of the greatest actors ever.
February 23, 2016
Wonderful film! Very sad, and it sickens me that some people who knows they were guilty of the horrific crimes they committed, get to go Scott free!
February 18, 2016
Its fictionalized and sordid, but Dafoe and Hackman's performance drives this film.
February 15, 2016
Racism and religion; an eternal bond.
February 15, 2016
Saw this on 14/2/16
Gene Hackman is almost spot on and the film gets it's racial themes right, but it's far from Alan Parker's best film. It underutilizes William Dafoe and it lacks believability because by the end it becomes something similar to a standard Hollywood action movie and it's hard to believe that just a dozen white men are the only ones behind the Ku Klux Klan.
½ February 14, 2016
This is such a good film that I hadn't seen in years. Hackman is great and Dafoe is good as well, and an excellent supporting cast with Frances McDormand, R.Lee Ermey, and Michael Rooker. This film is a must watch in my opinion!
½ February 10, 2016
I must, first, compliment the pure craftsmanship put into telling this story. It's a great filmmaking 1-0-1, so to speak. Packed from top to bottom with gorgeous and gritty cinematography, a great cast of leading men/women and talented character actors, a dramatic and involving story with subtext and importance, and a script that cuts you to your core. Bottom line it's great storytelling with something meaningful to say.
February 7, 2016
Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe proved to be the dynamic duo in this fantastic movie about racism...
½ February 2, 2016
A film about a village in Mississippi in the mid 1960's that shows how the KKK (Ku Klux Klan) operated through corrupt officials, and the barbaric way they treated African Americans. As the US had made revolutionary changes regarding slavery and treatment of African American southern states, like Mississippi, were far behind. Not necessarily in the laws, but in the way African Americans were treated. This is an absolutely outstanding movie that's a must see. Not only showing the brutal way of treatment, but how (some) southern citizens got taught hatred against African Americans. Truly an amazing film.
February 2, 2016
Amazingly unbelievable times that are so incomprehensible today. Hackman and Dafoe have great chemistry as does McDormand with Hackman. The movie is 'can't take your eyes of' fervor and the action and graphic images leave feverish and numb at the same time. Well acted all around although you couldn't leave feeling guilty about all the bigotry that in so many ways we try to not remind ourselves of.
January 27, 2016
Set in 1964, Mississippi Burning is the story of the disappearance of some civil rights activists and the KKK's involvement. Gene Hackman puts in a splendid performance as a no-nonsense FBI agent investigating the case. He shares this case with a by-the-book agent played by Willem Dafoe. The tension in the community is reflected in the tension between the two agents as they strive to solve the mystery.
½ January 10, 2016
Drama basado en hechos reales que expone la lamentable realidad de los crimenes por intolerancia en los aņos 60. A destacar Willem Defoe y Gene Hackman en sus roles de agentes federales
November 22, 2015
Exceptionally made film by Alan Parker which, accurately or not, depicts the great horrors and atrocities of white supremacists under the deliberately blind eyes of the locality in which they fester in all of their malignant hatred. Gene Hackman, as always, is flawless, inhabiting his role as FBI agent Anderson with the amazing nuance, thunder and humour for which he is known. A wonderful supporting cast populates this beautifully shot film.