Mississippi Burning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mississippi Burning Reviews

½ October 8, 2017
One of Hackmans best
August 28, 2017
This is a tense, searing depiction of a South that is oppressed by a segregation backed up by terror which permeates daily life. The small town Mississippi setting of rust and racism is brought to life here in a story about an FBI investigation of the murder of 3 civil rights workers by a conspiracy so vast it seems to implicate the whole state. This has always been the most memorable depiction of the Deep South I have ever seen.
July 16, 2017
A solid story line follows how racism in the 60s was at it messy folding inward days. One criticism often mentioned is that the film has no centre black hero. It's all the white men against and for a silent group. Howver, this serves to accentuate the heavy point at how nearly impossible it was for the southern black groups to ever have a voice, and how it took good white men to act. However this is also the film's major weakness as it descends into a simple victory story. But great direction keeps the tension building and superb camera work and editing ram home the dusty poverty of these downtrodden towns. There are no signs of the good ol glory days in this bleak landscape and the arrival of well dressed FBI agents is severely in contrast. For its time it's a brave film. Today it's a dark mirror of a broken battle.
½ March 14, 2017
Though I do have a problem with the film that is centered on the civil rights era having no central character performed by a black actor this is still an incredible film with what is there generally being faultless. The two lead performances by Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe are superb with Frances McDormand offering up an excellent supporting performance, the rest of the cast is solid, the script and plot deal with the nonsensical hatred and violence towards innocent black people really well, the score is solid and it looks great.
January 17, 2017
In a post-truth Trump world, everybody should watch this documentary.
½ January 15, 2017
a classic thru and thru
for MLK day time to ponder
dont you call me man jew boy
December 11, 2016
Good film led by standout performances from Hackman and McDormand.
½ October 30, 2016
Powerful, powerful movie. I'm sure everyone involved in it is justfiedly proud of it.
October 9, 2016
When i was young i was pretty shocked seeing this. But i have to admit that living in Germany at the time this was made it was nearly impossible to have an idea what really happened in the wake of the fight for equality...just imagine not having a global source like the internet nowadays. Today i have to say that this movie is not really showing the facts like we know them today. Its pretty obvious that the black community wouldn't have reached anything if they would have let fight their fight by white people...all they achieved they did by putting their own skin at risk. Beside of that was the role of the FBI not so glorious like they wanna make us believe here. Based on facts we know today it seems more like the feds had been a part of the problem more than being a solution.
Rating this setting aside the historical implicatuons it isn't a bad mivie...but the topic us too important to muschi around here...
September 18, 2016
The civil rights era is one that still stands the test of time and the 1960's was when it was at the height of its notierty. Martin Luther King gave his I have a dream speech, Malcolm X was assissanted along with MLK, The march on Selma happened, the Freedom Riders and the murders of Civil rights workers. Mississippi Burning winds the clocks back to 64 when those murders happened. The movie looks at the efforts of two FBI agents to find some measure of justice for the blacks in the south, but just like any task of this kind it is not easy.
Alan Ward and Rupert Anderson are sent down from DC to Mississippi to investigate the disappearance of three civil right workers. Ward is a deadest no nonsense agent while Anderson is a bit of shady realist type agent who knows the south well. Ward and Anderson quickly find out how much the a small town in the state is on edge and how the KKK has installed fear in everyone, especially the blacks. This makes the investigation the agents came down for that much harder.
its very real film about a time where everything was tense. Alan parker really captures mississipi well at this time. it was a real nightmare for blacks. I mean parker does a really great job of instilling a tenseness in the atmosphere of Mississippi. the racism in the state is so evident thanks to this. interesting how they applied the news broadcast elements into it as well with the interviews. adds a sense of realism to this ficitional story based on real events
gene Hackman never seems to disappoint. Anderson knows the ways of this small town and yet makes it really unclear if he is trying to derail wards investigation or is trying to give him the right guidance in solving this murder. he played him as not only someone who jumps both sides of the fence but is fearless against the white supremiscts of the south. willem defoe plays an slightly idealistic and no nonsense man who doesn't know what he's messing with here in Mississippi. frances mcdormand was excellent here! I was worried she was gonna play a generic like character but this one was intriguing as she was one of the few townsfolk to actually sympathize with black folks and was fascinated by this rare attempt at order by the fbi agents
I really liked the script for this film It was so nicely written. I liked the music too I was trying to find that main theme online but no luck. Anyway folks go check out Mississippi Burning
September 16, 2016
Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe give the most believable performances ever in a movie. However I don't find it a positive thing that a movie this racially charged was made. But nonetheless it is a part of Hollywood history now.
July 18, 2016
One of the most intensely gripping movies I have ever seen.
½ May 18, 2016
Hated this movie. It was a melodrama. Cardboard characters. Good against total evil. Sure there are such racists who are totally evil. But this seemed way over the top. That was my reaction while watching it. But looking at the trailer again now, if that is how the movie was, then I should watch it again and reconsider.
½ April 22, 2016
A very thought provoking movie. It has its glitches but overall very impressive. Gene Heckman absolutely killed it.
½ March 22, 2016
??? ??????? ????????? ?? ??????? ???????? ? ????? ????? ?? ?????? ??? ?? ?????? ??? ?? ????? ????? ??? ??? ?? ?????? ?????? ??? ?????, ''??????'' ??? ?????? ?? ?????. (?????? ???? ??? ??????????)
March 15, 2016
So, I'm like a lot of suspense thrillers. This movie based on the real life murder of three civil rights activists was incredibly telling. Gene Hackman is, and always has been, one of the greatest actors ever.
February 23, 2016
Wonderful film! Very sad, and it sickens me that some people who knows they were guilty of the horrific crimes they committed, get to go Scott free!
February 18, 2016
Its fictionalized and sordid, but Dafoe and Hackman's performance drives this film.
February 15, 2016
Racism and religion; an eternal bond.
February 15, 2016
78%
Saw this on 14/2/16
Gene Hackman is almost spot on and the film gets it's racial themes right, but it's far from Alan Parker's best film. It underutilizes William Dafoe and it lacks believability because by the end it becomes something similar to a standard Hollywood action movie and it's hard to believe that just a dozen white men are the only ones behind the Ku Klux Klan.