My Cousin Vinny Reviews

• Jun 19, 2019

A hilarious comedy of errors with courtroom drama! Jonathan Lynn's comedic courtroom drama My Cousin Vinny (1992) is a delightful comedy film. It takes great care with its clever script in order to maintain an accurate portrayal of a courtroom's procedure, while spoofing the entire ordeal. It is filled with fun outfits, music, and performances. Lynn's My Cousin Vinny is a rightful courtroom classic and a must see for fans of comedies and courtroom dramas. It brought me constant laughter and plenty to think about in regards to courtroom etiquette. First of all, Joe Pesci is awesome. His idiotic, but well meaning lawyer from New York is just so much fun to watch. Pesci plays a new lawyer learning as he goes, a devoted fiancee that ignores his endearing, helpful lady, all while trying to help out his cousin and aspire to be a real lawyer. Pesci is really great at screaming loudly and delivering monologues and he does both in My Cousin Vinny. I love that Pesci can capture a genuine man dreaming of the law that can help someone, while not knowing anything about conducting himself in a courtroom. He gives a great anecdote about the judge that inspired him to be a lawyer as well as delivering classic comedy moments in Alabama and sweet interactions with Marisa Tomei. Speaking of Tomei, My Cousin Vinny got her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress! This was well deserved as her New Jersey accent, glaring attitude, earnest helpfulness, and mechanical knowledge are all impressive. Tomei is electrifying every time she is on screen. She acts toe to toe with Joe Pesci in his prime. Marisa Tomei gave the performance of a lifetime in My Cousin Vinny. The rest of the supporting cast are no slouches as My Cousin Vinny features a wide array of character actors. Ralph Macchio is endearing and likable as a wrongly accused man alongside Mitchell Whitfield. Fred Gwynne's strictly by the book of procedure judge is a hilarious tough foil for Pesci's easy going lawyer. Lane Smith's prosecutor is rigid, yet friendly enough that you only hate him for being crooked. Bruce McGill's sheriff is amiable and fun. Lastly, Austin Pendleton gives a gut busting performance at the nervous and inept state appointed public defender. You will not forget any of these wonderful characters thanks to the admirable acting from these character actors. I loved My Cousin Vinny. Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei just capture your attention and hold it to the end. It's hard to believe this movie was almost 2 full hours as it only feels like 1, if that. I think most audiences will be entertained by My Cousin Vinny.

• May 30, 2019

Joe Pesci is hilarious in what is perhaps the most realistic courtroom film. Did Marisa Tomei deserve to win an Oscar for her role? Well, can you still remember a performance by any other actress that year? Tomei's performance was unforgettable.

• Nov 25, 2018

I love this movie. Entertaining as hell from start to finish.

I love this movie. Entertaining as hell from start to finish.

• Nov 04, 2018

your gullibility towards this sweet tale won't end up.. My Cousin Vinny Lynn's mockery over the judicial system and the lower mentality of the society works like a charm that sweeps away its runtime in front of your eyes and your gullibility towards this sweet tale won't end up. It is not flat out hilarious. Maybe, because it doesn't try too hard. It is happy in its convenience. And it's that flow that makers doesn't wish to stop and neither do we. Satisfied within its range, this soothing feature endorses your textbook comic sequence with a bit of drama imputed in it that helps it make it more grounded and practical. And giving the script a hand, is the performance that makes it more pragmatic and believable. This hilarious casting is apt for this sort of storyline. Pesci on the driver's seat has been allotted basically his home ground. This is his forte. Whether then be it to argue without any knowledge or do physical comedy, his range never fails to surprise you. His comic timing is off the roof. But this isn't a one man army war. The story demands a better guide to this protagonist and Tomei is just the actor to portray this character. Her accent, her whining over little things and a vital "witness" to this case, she is a competition to Pesci. Their bittersweet relationship is the trump card of the feature. The narration though, is mediocre throughout the course. It's that flat line that is off putting. Even the courtroom drama offers you the expected chills and nothing extraordinary. Lynn manages to keep a big smile on your face thoroughly with Launer's simple and sensible script and his decent execution. There are no surprising elements, nothing to be mesmerized about. My Cousin Vinny is just like your cousin, you wouldn't leave your ears off when it has to say something, but you wouldn't miss it too, after the curtain drops.

• Sep 07, 2018

Super funny movie! ??

Super funny movie! ??

• Aug 27, 2018

"Ridiculous! All this over a can of tuna!" This movie is HILARIOUS! I haven't laughed this hard in a while. In the surface, My Cousin Vinny seems to be a small easy-going comedy movie with a fish-out-of-water/mistaken identity story, and that's exactly how should you see it to enjoy it, but that doesn't mean it's just that kind of a movie. This movie doesn't just have some smart jokes, and funny characters, but it's a clever, and kinda profound movie at its core. The way the sub-plots are connected to the character arc of Vinny, and how they reflect his development, and express his feelings, reminded me of the Coen Bros. quite a bit, but, of course, in a much lighter way. The funny misfortunes of Vinny are purely Coen-esque! And of course that means that the movie has a moral, and it's really an impressive, and sorta useful, one. It's a message about changing for better; a message about the indifference and how it's unprofitable, and even harmful. As I mentioned that it's better to watch the movie as a comedy and nothing else, I did that and I think My Cousin Vinny almost excels on so many levels as a comedy. From the clever jokes, to the comical slap-stick direction style, to the both oddball and reasonable characters, I found myself enjoying every moment in the movie, and laugh constantly throughout its runtime. Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei's chemistry is just unparalleled! Needless to say that they delivered some of their best performances in their rich career bringing their already well-composed and well-designed characters to life. Especially Mona Lisa Vito, played by Marisa Tomei that I found she really has some depth that can rarely be found in comedy movies. She's a round character; stubborn, kinda sassy, yet smart and sensitive... and she's cute, too! Mitchell Whitfield and Ralph Macchio, who played the two young New Yorkers, are also very good; they have a good chemistry as well, and their reactions to the misunderstanding at the beginning are hysterically funny. The third act that take place in the courtroom is more serious, but that definitely doesn't mean it doesn't contain jokes or lack of humor. In addition to that, it has prepared for it very well. What surprised me is that I found the third act could be the most intriguing part of the movie. Due to the smartness of the script, the dialogue is pretty sharp, the denouement is surprisingly convincing, and the jokes this time is more clever because they rely on the writing and the acting, not the direction. I mean in a large part, obviously. The dramatic moments at the let-downs, however, seem very forced, and didn't work for me at all. They really could have been balanced with the comical tone of the movie way better than that. The plot could seem a bit familiar, but the content, and many details feel so fresh you almost can't notice this familiarity except when the credits roll. I want to praise Jonathan Lynn's classic visual style of comedy, but it's better to be seen to be appreciated. Please do yourself a favor, and watch this hidden, underappreciated gem. (9/10)

• Aug 22, 2018

My Cousin Vinny is an amalgamation of two things that I love. It has a hilarious fish-out-of-water story where these New Yorkers attempt to understand the inner workings of a small southern town. At the same time it has courtroom drama, with a ton of clever questioning and smart work by the lawyers. This movie never ceases to make me laugh and feel unending joy every time I watch it. Every cast member is superb and I love how they play all the comedy straight while I’m laughing like an idiot. I still remember how people were up in arms about Marisa Tomei winning a Supporting Actress Oscar that year, but she is so divine in this film that I cannot imagine anyone deserving it more. This is one of those movies that I can’t turn off if I happen to find it on TV, and I will watch until the end even if I just saw part of it the day before. There’s something so satisfying about the film, that it still works for me no matter how many times I see it. I recently watched it from start to finish for the first time in a long time, and I was struck by how well it still holds up to this day. I did my best to watch with a critical eye and search for nitpicks and flaws that others might have, and all I could find were a couple of scenes that felt edited slightly out of order, that might have flowed better if shuffled around. However it is very minor, and does nothing to hurt the story, so I didn’t care. My Cousin Vinny still holds as one of my all-time favorite films, and a movie I’ll be delighted to watch any time I have the opportunity.

• Jul 10, 2018

My Cousin Vinny plays to the strengths of its stars, and accomplishes much from its simple concept. The main legal case storyline is satisfying to watch play out, and the rest of the cast glow with charm, but it is Tomei's and Pesci's show. Ultimately this movie is an easygoing good time that is worth the watch.

• Jun 30, 2018

There are a few problems but it has a good heart when all is said and done. Basically. Anyway, it's a feel-good story. Marisa Tomei is adorable. 6.2 out of 10

• Jun 27, 2018

What can I say about Mona Lisa Vito? She is my spirit animal in this movie. Obviously Joe Pesci's performance is on point, but when is it not! But Marissa Tomei, "OH MA GAWD!" One of my favorite things to do, besides eat, is watch movies and impersonate my favorite scenes. My friends always ask me to do Marissa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny, and I immediately revert back to, "Your gonna shoot a deeah..." scene and I nail it every time (drunk or sober). Love her outfits and the white stripe going through her hair!