My Octopus Teacher Reviews

• 1d ago

Incredibly moving I cried so much. I don't think there has been a more thorough research or interaction with these creatures that are probably more intelligent than a cat or dog. A year in the life for this man proved to be a transformative journey. I'm so glad I found this positive and light filled gem on Netflix amongst all the dark rubbish there. I don't think I'll ever eat calamari again!

• 3d ago

This is a must see movie, and in particular, our children must see it. It is for the future generations that we must preserve the natural world that nurtures us and wage the war to ensure our children and grandchildren can experience, if they wish, what Craig Ferguson shares with us in this film. There is a reality we must face though. What we see in this film will not last if we do not change the way human society is organized. In the capitalist system of production, everything is a commodity, everything must be exploited for personal gain, the system is driven by its internal laws to exploit nature to the point of destruction, to end life as we know it. For me, this movie gives me the strength and will to do whatever I can do, no matter how small restrained only by resources, to change the way humans exist on this planet. From exploiting nature to living in harmony with it. As Ferguson says in the movie, he is part, and we are part of this nature not outside of it. As for the beautiful creature he befriends in the movie, it is beyond fascinating. Who would have thought an invertebrate with 8 arms could react to a human in this way. And Lastly, Mr. Ferguson is clearly a strong man a physically imposing man. But it's clear in the film that he is a gentle and compassionate human being. That he could learn what he does from an octopus is proof enough of his genuine love of humanity.

• 6d ago

Lame background story on the narrator. Fast forward through that nonsense. But the underwater photography is great.

• Nov 23, 2020

Finally a movie that calms and takes you away from everything in life that is personal conflict. Not a single second will you think of any worry in your life as you are immersed in this undersea world. We know nothing and need to start admitting our limitations to having only our own point of view. Perfect movie!

• Nov 22, 2020

My Octopus Teacher is a 2020 Netflix Original film directed by Pippa Ehrlich and James Reed 🐙 It's very good! 😀 I'd recommend it 👍🏼

• Nov 22, 2020

A beautiful, tender documentary about the year a man spent following, understanding and building a relationship with an octopus off the Atlantic coast of South Africa. I have a natural aversion to sentimental, 'inspiring' documentaries - but this film deftly avoids the traps of this nature and settles for simply telling a story and allowing emotion to evolve. It's not a scientific study - though the man concerned does study and learn as the year progresses - it's instead a portrait of immersion in the world of another, and how that affects and changes us. The alien, exotic nature of the kelp forest is beautifully evoked by the excellent cinematography - though there's a tad too much slow-motion for me, which ends up slightly dulling its intended impact - and I must make special mention of the lovely, evocative score from (full disclosure) composers known personally to me. A lovely film.

• Nov 22, 2020

Beautifully filmed. Probably could have done with less anthropomorphizing of the octopus and less trying to find human analogies to the octopus’ life.

• Nov 21, 2020

I'm never eating octopus ever again.

I'm never eating octopus ever again.

• Nov 21, 2020

A true exploration of what it means to be conscious on Earth apart of nature.

A true exploration of what it means to be conscious on Earth apart of nature.

• Nov 20, 2020

Fantastic! Really enjoyed it.

Fantastic! Really enjoyed it.