Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) Reviews

July 3, 2016
It is incontestably a historical piece of cinema, the birth of the vampire in popular culture as well as a great example of the German Expressionist moviment. A classic of the classics. 5/5 stars
½ June 20, 2016
This is a silent early horror movie that relies entirely on sets, lighting and acting to be scary.
June 3, 2016
This timeless horror classic is scary, but enjoyable to watch and is better than lots of horror films today. I could watch this a thousand times and it would still be creepy. This masterpiece has great music, great actors, and it lives up to its eeriness to this day.
½ May 27, 2016
Visually this is still amazing and some of the effects considering this film is nearly 100 years old are still credible and impressive now. The plot is basically 'Dracula' so you can't go wrong. You can probably watch this film on Youtube now, so if you'e a fan of horror or classic cinema then it's really worth seeking out.
Antonius Block
½ May 14, 2016
Who can forget Max Schreck as the ultra-creepy 'Count Orlok', a classic performance in horror movie history? Director F.W. Murnau gives us a scary, macabre vampire, far from the smooth and suave Draculas in other versions, and uses shadows and shots of Orlok's face to scare the audience throughout the movie. Orlok has elongated arms and claw-like hands, dark eyebrows and glowering eyes with a sinister stare, and is truly spine-tingling.

You see in this film so many of the trademark horror elements, such as the villagers in an inn warning young Hutter about the danger as he mentions his plans to go to Orlok's castle, which may remind you of movies like 1981's 'An American Werewolf in London'. And yet, this one deserves credit for being first, in 1922, and for giving us some fantastic scenes, such as the one of Hutter finding and opening his coffin, where we see just a fraction of Orlok's evil face initially, eyes open and long fangs visible. Alexander Granach is also great as 'Knock', his minion/ estate agent with giant, bushy eyebrows, who, when jailed, catches and eats flies for their blood.

I don't think it's cool that Murnau changed the names around because he couldn't get movie rights to Bram Stoker's story, but I'm glad the film survived (Stoker's heirs wanted all prints destroyed). The movie drags on at times and the simplicity of the ending was not satisfying to me, so it fell a little short, but if you're into classic horror films, this is probably must-see and you may love it, instead of just liking it as I did.
February 7, 2016
Went to see it with my boyfriend and they had a live band playing for the sound. It was amazing!
January 25, 2016
This is arguably the greatest horror film of all time. Ironically, it is also one of the earliest. The film is on most of the top 100 horror movie lists of all time, or any movies for that matter. F.W. Murnau was one of the greatest directors of all time and this is a testament to his genius. The cinematography and acting create a sense of horror well before the era of special effects. Some early special effects were established in this film, and many directors have since studied and borrowed from Murnau's tour de force.

Count Orlock is so horrifying and believable that Klaus Kinski reprised this role in Shadow Of The Vampire, which is about the making of Nosferatu.

As a young student of the early and especially silent horror genre, I watched this and recognized its power in my have watched this in my late teens and many times since over the years. I recall seeing this on TCM a few years back and was spellbound yet again. That was one of the greatest cinematic experiences I ever had, and I felt that rarified feeling that you reach only a few times in your life during a film viewing. If you are a fan of early horror films and haven't seen this, it is a must-view.
December 31, 2015
The original vampire movie. In fact, vampire movies don't come more original than this, as it was probably the first. Great adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Revolutionary for its time, the plot and direction still stand up today. The atmosphere, in particular the sense of dread, that Murnau creates is palpable, and he uses every trick of light and shade at his disposal in doing so.

Being a silent movie, the performances are very theatrical. Max Schrek is brilliant as Nosferatu, contributing significantly to the eerie atmosphere.

Not perfect - the pacing is a bit uneven, and the plot sometimes feels contrived.

Still, an absolute classic.
½ October 31, 2015
There's a funny thing about these so-called "classic films". It's the kind of film that everyone wants to have seen but nobody wants to see for themselves. In the case of Nosferatu, it's really not as great as the critics would like the casual viewer to believe, and that's primarily due to the silent film itself being an outdated medium, but if you're looking for some artistic fare, you will certainly find it here in this unique adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Set earlier in the past than its literary counterpart, the story takes quite a few different turns, including the idea that the villagers believe the vampire to be some sort of plague, which I found to be a very interesting angle for the character. The film itself conveys a chillingly spooky atmosphere, although I always thought the silence was somewhat jarring. As a horror movie, it's not quite as good as it might have been decades ago, but it's still something of an artistic spectacle, best enjoyed for what it is rather than what it was, and I found it to be a flawed but whimsical cinematic experience.
½ October 29, 2015
Holds up surprisingly well for such an old film
October 28, 2015
Fun, inventive, But I really only got spooked once.
October 24, 2015
Score is fully adjusting for the whole "it's very old and invented many of the horror things we take for granted" thing. Even without that, I'd be giving it four stars. The Count is so amazingly creepy, even today. Only complaint is that sometimes the pacing is sometimes slow, like the intertitles are all on about twice as long as they need to be (which may just be a problem with this particular print). Perhaps the 2006 restoration is better.
October 24, 2015
Liked it much more than phantom of the opera. In the 1922's I can see this scaring people out of their minds, but not in the same way as the phantom's exploitation of the gross. While the phantom only sets out to shock, Nosferatu sets atmosphere, and while the movie is no longer scary, modern audiences can still feel the dread, the gothic chill, the forces of supernatural. The framework for the plot is a bit rough, being one of the very first, so not having years of horror cinema to draw from. Innovative, chilling, beautiful, and engrossing. Too bad the characters were one dimensional.
October 19, 2015
although I highly respect it as it's probably the first ever horror movie and it was extremely groundbreaking I personally found it quite boring and not enjoyable
½ October 17, 2015
While I find it difficult to critique this film, it does kind-of begin, then end. That said the visuals are impressive and Nosferatu is undeniably iconic and for many, it is perhaps 'the' a seminal horror film.
September 13, 2015
Nosferatu is a classic Horror-film, with iconic scenes and one of the best Horror-movie antagonists. Nosferatu is a great film with a good tragic ending, and deserves five stars.
September 10, 2015
Classic horror, the first vampire film.
August 23, 2015
There's a significant difference between retelling a classic and reinventing a legend. What started as a copyright loophole became not one of the scariest films in history, but one of the most haunting. It's a film that is never easily forgotten, as is a few of the later Dracula adaptations. Murneau's expertly paced direction in conjunction with Max Schreck's utter embodiment of the human psyche's deepest fears in a character instills Nosferatu into the history pages as the ground zero of horror film.
August 5, 2015
Deserves acclaim for its place in film history, but it didn't personally work for me. Fantastic, iconic imagery, but not the best storytelling. The vampire's time on the ship takes up a half hour of the limited running time of the movie, and kills any momentum of the earlier scenes. It also doesn't help, due to limits in film technology at the time, for being such a dark film, it's actually kind of bathed in light. The "night time" scenes are too ridiculous to be believable. An important work of silent cinema to be sure, but not one that greatly worked for me.