Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) Reviews

December 5, 2016
By 2016 standards it's a stretch to call "Nosferatu" scary - eerie is probably more suitable. Of course, it's a little unfair to judge a film that way. So on the one hand I really appreciate the - occasionally genuinely creepy - atmosphere Murnau creates through his successful use of shadows. On the other hand "Nosferatu" is pretty slow and bereft of a big climax of any sort. Murnau succeeds in creating some iconic gothic imagery but his fragmentary direction fails to set the story on fire.
November 6, 2016
German take of Dracula story. Remains effective even after 94 years.
November 2, 2016
Saw this in a church with live organ music. Great experience!
October 31, 2016
brilliant early cinema
October 30, 2016
Truly remarkable for it's time and a real landmark in film history. It suffers from the same melodrama style that dates Metropolis in some way, but once you get over this and watch it for what it is, a film that has stood the test of time over the last 86 years(!) you can see why this is in many ways the most iconic vampire film. The use of shadows and dark are both particularly effective, and I'm glad I finally got to see it.
October 27, 2016
i'm pretty sure the simply fact that a 16 year old boy in 2016 genuinely enjoys this film, i DEFINITELY a good sign
½ October 12, 2016
This lived up to my expectations and its grand critical reviews. While from a modern standpoint some of the acting and scenes are humorously melodramatic, this is nonetheless a strangely beautiful and haunting work of art. Aided by a great musical score and striking visuals, the atmosphere feels truly mythic.
September 14, 2016
If you don't like German silent cinema don't watch it but its is one of the best vampire films around. Filmed nearly 95 years ago, it is still more frightening than most "scary" movies today.
August 28, 2016
One of the best films of all time, it was a master piece shot in the style of German Expressionism. It utilised several techniques such as stop motion and foreshadowing. The story itself was a loose adaptation of Dracula though the creepy effect is still haunting even till today.
July 3, 2016
It is incontestably a historical piece of cinema, the birth of the vampire in popular culture as well as a great example of the German Expressionist moviment. A classic of the classics. 5/5 stars
½ June 20, 2016
This is a silent early horror movie that relies entirely on sets, lighting and acting to be scary.
June 3, 2016
This timeless horror classic is scary, but enjoyable to watch and is better than lots of horror films today. I could watch this a thousand times and it would still be creepy. This masterpiece has great music, great actors, and it lives up to its eeriness to this day.
½ May 27, 2016
Visually this is still amazing and some of the effects considering this film is nearly 100 years old are still credible and impressive now. The plot is basically 'Dracula' so you can't go wrong. You can probably watch this film on Youtube now, so if you'e a fan of horror or classic cinema then it's really worth seeking out.
Antonius Block
½ May 14, 2016
Who can forget Max Schreck as the ultra-creepy 'Count Orlok', a classic performance in horror movie history? Director F.W. Murnau gives us a scary, macabre vampire, far from the smooth and suave Draculas in other versions, and uses shadows and shots of Orlok's face to scare the audience throughout the movie. Orlok has elongated arms and claw-like hands, dark eyebrows and glowering eyes with a sinister stare, and is truly spine-tingling.

You see in this film so many of the trademark horror elements, such as the villagers in an inn warning young Hutter about the danger as he mentions his plans to go to Orlok's castle, which may remind you of movies like 1981's 'An American Werewolf in London'. And yet, this one deserves credit for being first, in 1922, and for giving us some fantastic scenes, such as the one of Hutter finding and opening his coffin, where we see just a fraction of Orlok's evil face initially, eyes open and long fangs visible. Alexander Granach is also great as 'Knock', his minion/ estate agent with giant, bushy eyebrows, who, when jailed, catches and eats flies for their blood.

I don't think it's cool that Murnau changed the names around because he couldn't get movie rights to Bram Stoker's story, but I'm glad the film survived (Stoker's heirs wanted all prints destroyed). The movie drags on at times and the simplicity of the ending was not satisfying to me, so it fell a little short, but if you're into classic horror films, this is probably must-see and you may love it, instead of just liking it as I did.
February 7, 2016
Went to see it with my boyfriend and they had a live band playing for the sound. It was amazing!
January 25, 2016
This is arguably the greatest horror film of all time. Ironically, it is also one of the earliest. The film is on most of the top 100 horror movie lists of all time, or any movies for that matter. F.W. Murnau was one of the greatest directors of all time and this is a testament to his genius. The cinematography and acting create a sense of horror well before the era of special effects. Some early special effects were established in this film, and many directors have since studied and borrowed from Murnau's tour de force.

Count Orlock is so horrifying and believable that Klaus Kinski reprised this role in Shadow Of The Vampire, which is about the making of Nosferatu.

As a young student of the early and especially silent horror genre, I watched this and recognized its power in my have watched this in my late teens and many times since over the years. I recall seeing this on TCM a few years back and was spellbound yet again. That was one of the greatest cinematic experiences I ever had, and I felt that rarified feeling that you reach only a few times in your life during a film viewing. If you are a fan of early horror films and haven't seen this, it is a must-view.
December 31, 2015
The original vampire movie. In fact, vampire movies don't come more original than this, as it was probably the first. Great adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Revolutionary for its time, the plot and direction still stand up today. The atmosphere, in particular the sense of dread, that Murnau creates is palpable, and he uses every trick of light and shade at his disposal in doing so.

Being a silent movie, the performances are very theatrical. Max Schrek is brilliant as Nosferatu, contributing significantly to the eerie atmosphere.

Not perfect - the pacing is a bit uneven, and the plot sometimes feels contrived.

Still, an absolute classic.
½ October 31, 2015
There's a funny thing about these so-called "classic films". It's the kind of film that everyone wants to have seen but nobody wants to see for themselves. In the case of Nosferatu, it's really not as great as the critics would like the casual viewer to believe, and that's primarily due to the silent film itself being an outdated medium, but if you're looking for some artistic fare, you will certainly find it here in this unique adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Set earlier in the past than its literary counterpart, the story takes quite a few different turns, including the idea that the villagers believe the vampire to be some sort of plague, which I found to be a very interesting angle for the character. The film itself conveys a chillingly spooky atmosphere, although I always thought the silence was somewhat jarring. As a horror movie, it's not quite as good as it might have been decades ago, but it's still something of an artistic spectacle, best enjoyed for what it is rather than what it was, and I found it to be a flawed but whimsical cinematic experience.