Now You See Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Now You See Me Reviews

September 9, 2017
It was great! Until the end...watch up until the last act ;-)
½ September 8, 2017
This movie sucks and you suck for liking it.
August 25, 2017
Simplesmente sensacional. Os truques são incrivelmente bem pensados. Now You See Me usou o ilusionismo de uma forma inovadora e fantástica ao colocar os mágicos ilusionistas como ladrões de grande escala. Os truques que usam pra se safar e o modo como usam é perfeito. E aquele mind blow do final... foi de cair o queixo. Eu não esperava aquilo. Paguei um pau do caralho para aquela cena.
½ August 19, 2017
Fuckin amazing way better then it is rated
August 18, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, now that we ve seen Now You See Me, now is the time to review it.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) It was a fun movie filled with surprises. I enjoyed myself.

SCOTT: Now You See Me begins with four street magicians eking out a meager existence. They are Daniel (Jesse Eisenberg), Henley (Isla Fisher), Jack (Dave Franco), and Merritt (Woody Harrelson). One day they are all summoned to an abandoned apartment by an unknown mastermind criminal hellbent on using their magic to pull off major heists. Calling themselves the Four Horsemen, they first appear to rob a French bank of millions of dollars during the middle of their Las Vegas act. When FBI agent Dylan Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) and Interpol agent Alma Dray (Melanie Laurent) cannot prove their guilt, the Four Horsemen are free to perform their next act in New Orleans, where they plunder the bank account of their main financial sponsor, Arthur Tessler (Michael Caine).

GREG: Scott, at first it appears that the heroes of this story are the four characters comprising the 4 Horsemen. But as the story evolves, it is clear that we are following Dylan and sidekick Alma in a classic buddy-cop movie with a twist. Veteran magician turned magic-debunker Thaddeus Bradley (Morgan Freeman) is following the Horsemen and warns Dylan that they will always be one step ahead of him. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. What could have been a series of vaudevillian stage tricks turned awesome through the magic of CGI instead turned into a clever set of questions: How did they do it? What will they do next? Will they get caught? Who is the Fifth Horseman? I was kept guessing and it kept me involved from beginning to end.

SCOTT: I was less impressed by the movie than you were, Greg. The entire film is one giant magic trick whose secret is revealed at the very end in a very gimmicky way. Yes, the performances of all the actors involved were fine, but there is no discernible hero in this story. At first, we are led to believe that the four horsemen are the heroes, but they are soon revealed to be mere pawns of the true agents of power in the movie. In fact, virtually every character in this film turns out to be a magician s prop or accessory. A likely candidate for the story s hero does emerge but then disappears like a cheap trick. We re left with a movie with a lot of sleights of hand but with a hand that is more than slightly empty.

GREG: Gee, Scott, I d hate to see a magic show with you. I think the fact that all the tricks led to a surprising climax is what makes this a movie to see. There were a lot of well-known actors in this film. They all played their characters well. It s tricky to have so much star power in one film and not have one character take the lead. Director Louis Leterrier did a great job of balancing the lead characters so that everyone had equal time. As for the hero structure, Now You See Me plays a straight cop/chase/thriller until the very end. It is a great bit of misdirection that the suspicions jump from player to player before a final twist. And it is the breaking of the rules that makes this film entertaining. I have to admit that I was suspicious of who the mystery character could have been, but I didn t put it all together before it was dished out for me in the final scenes. And that is what makes a great mystery great.

SCOTT: I think you ve put your finger on a lot of the good qualities that this movie has, namely the performances of several iconic actors (e.g., Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine) and a series of magic tricks and crime scenes that leave us wondering, How d they do that? I concede these points and I recommend Now You See Me to people who are infatuated with magic shows. But when I see a movie, I want to witness a story that has depth beyond a mere gimmicky ending, which I believe this movie disappointingly delivers to us. The movie fails as a mystery because there were absolutely no clues for us to figure out The Big Reveal at the end. The film is basically a two-hour long magic trick, and while it s not a bad magic trick, I found myself wanting more.

GREG: Fair enough, Scott. I went into the movie expecting a two-hour long magic show and I wasn t disappointed. I ll grant you that you won t see a particular character have overcome a major internal flaw (or do you?). But when I go to see a magic show, part of the fun is trying to pit my intelligence against that of the magician. I try to see if I can figure it out and overcome the deception. I got that feeling while watching Now You See Me. Penn & Teller used to do a show where they would take a well-known magician s trick and expose it for all to see. The viewers were given all the gory details of how the trick was prepared for and then executed. Then, they would perform that trick live in front of a studio audience. What was amazing was that even after knowing how the trick was done, the audience was still in awe because the performance of the trick was so expertly performed that you were still amazed. That is what Now You See Me brought to the screen for me. So, for an entertaining show that didn t disappoint both in story, execution and magic, I give Now You See Me 4 out of 5 Reels. And for an atypical but still enjoyable hero story following FBI Agent Dylan Rhodes through the maze, I give it 3 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT: Greg, I completely agree that there s something powerful about watching a live magic show. Notice I said live . Watching magic tricks performed in the movies, where CGI effects rule, is not nearly as interesting. I recommend Now You See Me for diehard fans of magic and for fans of Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Woody Harrelson, and the other fine actors here. The movie itself is a thin slice of white bread. I give it 2 Reels out of 5. As for the hero of the story.... there wasn t one. Yes, there were characters in this movie but no reel heroes who underwent a journey or who changed in any significant way. I can almost buy the argument that there was one character who approximated a hero, but by the film s conclusion this character, as we knew him or her, magically disappears. For that reason, I m giving this movie only 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:
½ August 16, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie it's pretty freaking cool and innovative.
August 6, 2017
Enjoyed this film.
Liked the look of it from the trailer, and so had some expectations...but I have to say I wasn't disappointed.
The plot was sufficiently twisty to keep me interested, mirroring its subject matter....inviting the audience to figure it out.
To be honest there were not enough red herrings, and the "figuring out" wasn't too taxing. However, there were still twists that surprised me which definitely elevated my enjoyment.
The cast are all excellent in their roles, not a weak one among them. Harrelson is a particular favourite as the mentalist...and is easily the most likable character. Ruffalo is easily convincing as the confused cop...always one step behind. Eisenberg has stepped away from the typecast nerd roles to play his cocky illusionist, and does it with style...but there are still remnants of his geeky past in the jittery mannerisms and staccato speech. The new direction seems to work for him though. It will be interesting to see what else the actor has to offer.
The film looks fantastic, with the effects neat and crafted and not too overstated (as you might expect in a magical extravaganza)
I've always enjoyed magic in all its forms (even dabbled myself in my younger years) and so the recent appearance of more and more magic show and street magicians is no bad thing. I expect we will have similar films to come...but this remains a fresh look at the different elements of magic and slight of hand.
An enjoyable take on the crime caper, covered with a bit of magic and glitz. You will certainly be entertained. Don't bother trying to figure things out, just let them happen.
The tagline of the film says it all I feel...
"The closer you think you are, the less you will actually see"
½ August 4, 2017
"Like white on rice? Sorry, that's unfair. Let me warn you. I want you to follow, because no matter what you think you might know, we will always be one step, three steps- seven steps ahead of you, and just when you think you're catching up, that's when we'll be right behind you. And at no time will you be anywhere other than exactly where I want you to be. So come close, get all over me because the closer you think you are, the less you'll actually see."
July 25, 2017
Like watching a bag of hot garbage.
July 21, 2017
You know that moment in every heist movie where they suddenly reveal that they tricked you? "It was that person all along!" or "Wait...that's what happened?" Well, this is just scene after scene of those moments. For an hour or so that can be pretty fun, but the tricks played on the audience during this film got more and more implausible (and eye roll inducing, honestly). There is nothing wrong with messing with the crowd a bit, but you should probably respect an audience more than this. Also, seeing this cast waste their talents on cute drivel was a major bummer.
July 19, 2017
"Now You See Me" is fast paced, subversive fun, but it's substance vanishes into thin air as soon as the credits roll.
July 16, 2017
Kept me wondering the whole time. Watched with Ashlee. 7/16/17
½ July 14, 2017
very boring and senseless
July 8, 2017
Minor flaws ignored, Now You See Me is a fantastic thriller-action hybrid, boasting a talented cast and endless plot twists.
½ July 5, 2017
The trailer blew me away, while the movie was less than stellar. Though the cast is great, the characters don't have much depth behind them. The magic is cool and the plot is fresh, but it suffers down the stretch from an unwelcome twist. Painfully mediocre.
June 29, 2017
Not bad at all... It's not easy to follow, but spectacular and attractive, and the revelations at the end make everything have a logical sense.
June 11, 2017
Fantastic film!

Originally written on June 29, 2013--
Ever wondered how a magician does some of his/her best tricks? Do you like a good heist picture where the bad guys make off the cash just to give it away to those less fortunate? This movie answers those questions, but in a way you won't see coming. Great way to spend a couple of hours at the movies. Highly recommend!
June 9, 2017
I love both 1 and this one. I hope y'all make a 3. My mom and I love it. You should watch this.
May 31, 2017
Flashy, sleek, and sexy, Now You See Me hides a thin plot behind cool magical efforts and largely succeeds at an entertaining ride.
½ May 15, 2017
You really need to concentrate when watching this picture! Sometimes it is a bit unlogical and fast moving, but then again it is gripping and exiting!