Now You See Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Now You See Me Reviews

½ June 27, 2016
This silly, a bit dumb magician flick is not thwarted with it's campyness, in fact, it benefits from it, what it does fall short to is a lack of a focused narrative, and an ending plot twist which does not come of as shocking, but rather stupid.
May 1, 2016
Enjoyed the movie with a drop of a hat,
It's cool just seeing a bunch of magic tricks go together in one full movie.

Grade: A-
½ June 18, 2016
Now You See Me is a great action heist movie, with a great performances of the cast, amazing magic trick, and also twisty plot, but it lacks its storyline, and the ending that leaves the questions to the Audiences.
½ November 20, 2012
UGH, the issues with this film are too many to even go into detail and the "big reveal" at the end pretty much naysays the entire plot PLUS you have to sit through Eisenberg and friends with the forced acting skills of a 12 yr old.
June 22, 2016
Everyone loves magic tricks. The wonder has been ingrained in us since our childhood. And movies about magic are usually just as enjoyable. This one is no exception.

Four individual magicians--each with a different specialty--get summoned by some mysterious master magician to join together and perform "tricks" to steal from the rich and give to the poor. Meanwhile, a frustrated FBI agent, played by Mark Ruffalo, can't seem to figure out how it's all happening. He teams up with a female Interpol agent (Melanie Laurent) to put a stop to the madness.

The dynamics among the magicians are fun and kept very light. The tricks they perform are, at times, very fascinating to the point that we wish we could go to Vegas to watch their show. We become invested in the lives of these people because the writers let us. But then something happens--our focus is forcibly changed.

For the last 60-90 minutes we are pretty much solely focused on Ruffalo's character. We don't want to be, but we are. And as we travel deeper into the story, the befuddlement steadily increases. Luckily, the film makes itself fairly easy to focus on to somewhat help negate the convolution.

It helps to rewatch this movie. But then again, seeing behind the curtain--which is the ending--may cause you to feel like you've been manipulated. Realizing the filmmakers trick you into seeing what they want you to. And depending on how much you like magic tricks, you may or may not be happy about it.

But see, putting together a movie is different than live magic tricks. Filmmakers can make up their own rules, using cuts and edits to change your perspective--not slight-of-hand--making much of it feel contrived. Personally, I wouldn't say that it bothers me. It just feels too easy here.

We do get a good bang four our buck with plenty of subplots. There is one about Morgan Freeman who plays a magic debunker smugly trying to crack these elaborate tricks. He has a rivalry with Michael Caine, who acts as a financier for the magicians' performances. Caine exits about an hour in, but Freeman has much left to accomplish. And amidst all the action, there is an obvious romance building between Ruffalo and Laurent.

But all of the story-building amongst the characters only helps to thin them all out in the process. There is little depth. And the depth that's established feels forced.

Mind you, none of this changes the fact that this film is wildly entertaining. How can you call it anything but? It's gripping from beginning to end, and the way it's set up, you will probably end up wanting more. Give it huge points for that. Beyond that, though, I can see why people feel slighted.

Twizard Rating: 84
June 21, 2016
I loved this movie and had to rewatch it after I saw the sequel and I still love this movie. Its so well crafted. I really dont understand critics in Rotten Tomatoes...
June 21, 2016
Great magic movie loved the car chase and everything
August 11, 2013
Louis Leterrier es un director altamente irregular. Sus trabajos oscilan entre entretenimiento de calidad ("Danny The Dog", "The Incredible Hulk") a basura insoportable ("The Transporter", "Clash Of The Titans"). Afortunadamente, "Now You See Me" trata de apuntar a la primera categoría: es una cinta divertida de principio a fin y con un elenco de primera clase (Mark Ruffalo, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Morgan Freeman) acerca de unos magos que pretenden hacer justicia social, vengándose de los ricos y explotadores. Para estos tiempos de crisis, la película, además de entretenida, es pertinente.
June 20, 2016
I thought it was an excellent, light hearted action-adventure/thriller. I would describe it as a modern Ocean's Eleven. Not even a little sure why the critics think it sucks.
June 18, 2016
It really loses its magic when we know movies are so very fake. If it was a live performance sure but its just too easy. Kind of boring, Catch Me If You Can meets Oceans 11 meets The Illusionist. Cardboard cutout characters. Kind of neat but I'm not sure what the tone was supposed to be. Ending was too long.
½ February 25, 2016
The visuals are astounding and the four horsemen are played fantastically well (for the slightly unsatisfactory amount of screen time they get), but all the characters need more depth than the constantly playful treatment they get, and the plot is too scattershot to support its big twist.
June 18, 2016
Spoilers: The logical part of me didn't even want to see this because the whole appeal of magic comes from the live performance and the fact that they don't have CGI and editing to help them. But as it turns out the movie is more about watching the police try to find out how they did the trick rather than the trick itself being what we're supposed to be impressed by. I will say they used CGI three times in which it was incredibly jarring and I felt completely unnecessary. The twist was fine. It seems like it makes sense but it suffers for two reasons. The first is that Hollywood assumes that we instantly care about Morgan Freeman, so they don't bother putting any work into developing his character -- the same mistake made by the movie, Oblivion. And the second is that they use the Scooby Doo formula. Unlike in real life where you have 7 billion suspects, this movie only has 2 characters whom the perpetrator could be, and one of them is Mark Ruffalo who is always a good guy and who you saw as a detective in Shutter Island, so you just assume it couldn't be him. And then when it is him, that completely shifts who the protagonist is to Morgan Freeman, this character who no one really cares about. And it also means, much of the time when Mark Ruffalo's character is acting like a good cop, just trying to figure out the case and no one's watching, that he's only doing that for us, the audience, which feels a little stupid. But it's a fun movie I guess. Good car chase. I'll watch Woody Harrelson in anything. Don't go out of your way to watch it but it's not as bad as it looks.
½ August 29, 2014
Disappointed that they did use the full potential of this interesting premise.
June 17, 2016
I though it was Very clever movie the way all the pieces go together and to see that big reveal in the end! I loved it and is now my favorite movie
June 17, 2016
well acted laughable nonsense that's absolutely implausible
June 17, 2016
It was a good movie. :) I liked it.
June 10, 2016
Really good, but it was easy to figure out the end of the story. That was probably the point but the clues stood out to easily. MAKE IT HARDER!!
½ June 15, 2016
A star stuffed movie, with non stop climax, this movie gives out lots of entertainment value, but lacks depth.
½ June 14, 2016
This film was great. A cat and mouse game with the Feds and Oceans 11 with chase scenes and all. If you like magic and heist films, chances are you'll really like this film. I really thought it was going to end for a minute without really tying up many loose ends but the ending cleaned everything up perfectly. Very enjoyable.
½ June 12, 2016
Nonsense. Wastes such an incredible cast.