Obit Reviews

• Oct 13, 2020

This is an excellent doc. It focuses on the art and craft of obit writing, which should grab the interest of anyone who admires those as they are written in The NY Times and periodicals such as The Economist. It periodically presents some of these obits, and while taking in the details of the lives of those who died, it provokes a lot of self-reflection, as good obits tends to do.

• Feb 06, 2018

My kind of documentary -- thoughtful about a lot of different things, mostly from oblique angles. Interesting people, and a subject that I really hadn't given enough thought to before seeing this. Really enjoyable to watch.

• Nov 10, 2017

Fascinating and thought provoking.

Fascinating and thought provoking.

• Nov 09, 2017

"Everyone is going to die." said a obit writer for the NYTimes. This entertaining documentary reports about the obit writers and the research that goes into the writing. Some obits are there just waiting for the "end" and last details. The selection of who becomes an important obit in the NYT is fascinating. The documentary follows the shaping of the obit of the man who primed JFK for the first tv debate in 1960. It was felt that his maneuvering helped JFK look so good on tv and, as JFK felt, won him the 1960 election. Fascinating movie.

• Sep 28, 2017

Surprisingly funny and touching film - the wriers are increcibly smart and clearly dedicated to the job. We should all be so lucky as to have our obits written up by this crew!

• Sep 24, 2017

Fascinating documentary about a peculiar niche in journalism: obituary writers.

Fascinating documentary about a peculiar niche in journalism: obituary writers.

• Jul 10, 2017

A true gem! A film about life and the art of storytelling!

A true gem! A film about life and the art of storytelling!

• Jul 04, 2017

SERIOUSLY in need of editing! Interesting material, but disorganized and sloppy all the way through.

• May 29, 2017

No small task taken by these journalists: to write a person's history upon their death. At the New York Times newspaper, several writers do just this task! While this appears to be a morbid documentary film, director Vanessa Gould takes us on an entertaining journey from death notice to published obituary. We see how the lives of these newspaper writers unfold to write a worthwhile story about a person whose impact on history warranted pause and reflection. I highly recommend this smart and intriguing glimpse of how obituaries are written and lives remembered.

• May 28, 2017

Fascinating and engaging. A great little film chock full of energy and passion for the craft.