Oddball and the Penguins (Oddball) Reviews

• Jul 08, 2018

This was a really good movie. What a great story.

This was a really good movie. What a great story.

• Feb 25, 2018

Ok, I don't have any kids, grew up in Hollywood, and am therefore jaded AF, unfortunately. I thought this movie was perfect in every way - it's a wonderful rendering of a true story- between the darling little girl, amazing doggo, and the over the top adorableness of the little fairy penguins, it will make you smile and feel stuff whether you want to or not!

• Oct 18, 2017

Based off of a true story about how a breed of dogs was put on island to protect fairy penguins

• Apr 22, 2017

what a wonderful movie based on a true story. awesome movie for the whole family and has the two things closes to my heart DOGS and PEGUINS. so much fun. laughter.a few tears and triumph finish. all filmed in Australia. a must see

• Mar 25, 2017

Well, it was a fun movie to watch, but should a "family" film feature a 9 year old setting up a 1 night stand for her mom? How is that not sleazy? On the other hand, it's a bit ironic in this day and age when "abortion is no big deal" to hear that these penguins were saved by the existence of ONE EGG. Obviously the aforementioned 9 year old who points this out, understands how creatures develop. Whether penguin or person, a developing being is simply at an early stage of life, not just tissue. So, as a pro-life film, this was very cool..

• Mar 14, 2017

Sweet, silly, charming. A true story about an unlikely canine-assisted project to protect endangered birds, goofily fictionalized to engage kids.

• Jan 20, 2017

As raposas estão perseguindo os pinguins e só o cachorro Oddball é capaz de protegê-los, porém terá que enfrentar aqueles que querem acabar com o abrigo de pinguins para torná-lo um observatório de baleias....

• Nov 20, 2016

kind of Disney-esque but definitely a fun telling of a great true story from Australia!

• Jul 15, 2016

nice enjoyable story for the whole family to watch and based on a true story

nice enjoyable story for the whole family to watch and based on a true story

• Jul 04, 2016

About a dog and his master who gave a new hope the little creatures. An Australian adventure-drama inspired by the true story about the wildlife conservation, but it does not follow actual details. Like in the real life, it was between father and daughter, unlike grandfather and granddaughter in this. So there many other changes were made in order to get the film right shape, but the theme remained true to the original. This was the second film after the last week 'Brothers of the Wind' about the wildlife I had watched and I'm very happy with both. A film for everyone with the balanced contents between the film characters and the message it wanted to tell. I mean it was not about the dog or a girl or the penguins, but they all equally shared the parts. I think the animals were used well. The film focused on a southern Australian small coastal town, where on a tiny island the little penguins are living for the centuries. But now the numbers are going down due to the fox attacks. So the people are worried that the place might lose its special status. Then they decide to protect it, but all the effort was in vain until a chicken farmer and his mischievous dog named Oddball become the game changer, while everyone was in the panic mode. It is a modern fairytale, that's what they say in the opening. Because fairy tales do not have any violences and so in this the fox attacks were merely a concept to develop the plot. In reality those were obviously heartbreaking if you are an animal lover. The good thing is, the film does not have them like a Disney Nature film. So those who seek facts, logics and strong appeal in a film, I would advise them to stay away from it or you can just put away your adultness to have a good time with it. "If you want the biscuit you gotta risk it." This film was not based on a rare concept, but definitely very rare on what it deals with. Like as my knowledge I don't remember seeing a film or a documentary film about these little penguins. So it is totally worth, but disappointment was it was a human perspective story. About the human's intervene while nature fighting among themselves to extinction. Fox hunts penguins and that's a natural order, but when the balance was disturbed, the human's involvement to restore it is not questionable as we're the dominated species on the earth. Most of the cast was Aussies and a couple of them were internationally recognised. Predictable story, especially the ending is not a complicated part. Somewhat fun, but most of the time the drama takes over like the struggling relationship between father and daughter. Sometime innovative ideas come when one in a such scenario. The film explored on that basis to tell a decent tale. The kid was good, along with the dog, and the farmer who was also known as Swampy, the only one who tried very hard in the comical role to keep rhythm up. In a few scenes the camera work was great, the aerial view of the seaside was lovely. It was nominated for the best cinematography in the last Australian Academy Awards, but did not win. This is not a massive hit film or well recognised in the rest of the world. Even if you watch it today, you will go to forget it tomorrow. Then you might be wondering why it should be watched. Well, it is one of the finest family films of the recent time and a message deliverer. In one film many plots were covered, like a man-dog, father-daughter-granddaughter relationship, midlife crisis, wildlife conservation; this film was full of sub-plots and yet it makes an overall decent film. I won't recommend it, but definitely not a waste of time. 7/10