Omg Oh My God! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Omg Oh My God! Reviews

March 28, 2016
OMG excels in storytelling, as it takes a very serious topic, makes that funny, while still keeping the roots of it serious and keeping the viewers interested as well as entertained by the movie.
½ January 11, 2015
I've been an atheist for, at least, more than half of my life. It's something that, once I hit the age of reason, which would be around your teen years, I decided that religion and the existence of god were incompatible with the world I see around me. While you can never say never in this life, I'm certain that I will never become a born again Christian. There are just too many things in this universe that can kill us, stellar black holes, gamma ray bursts, and solar expansion for one, that it's increasingly difficult to believe that this is all part of an intelligent design. With that out of the way, I was intrigued by this film's premise enough to give it a shot, knowing the fact that, at the end, it was more likely than not going to end up with Kanji finally believing in god. As far as I could tell from this movie, India is a very religious country. Probably due to the vast poverty a lot of people find themselves in that they see their religions as their only form of hope and/or happiness. So it was interesting to see how this film would broach that subject and whether it would really hit hard against religion. While this isn't India's equivalent to a Bill Maher/Richard Dawkins/Christopher Hitchens rant on religion, it still was a pretty ballsy move for, what seems to be, such a conservative country. Essentially, while the film does focus on Kanji's atheism and his insistence that god(s) doesn't exist, the film focuses more on the business side of religion. The side that people like the priests presented in the movie choose to exploit. They exploit people's spiritual needs for their own gain, not actually following the tenets of the gods they all worship. I think the film shines more of a spotlight on the charlatans attached to religion, a man-made thing, than on god(s) not being real. And I suppose that that's the easy way out. You attack religion but not the idea of god and, to me, that's kind of an easy way out to be perfectly honest. Like you're afraid of the backlash if you launch a full-out attack on god. And, to be honest, this was probably written by someone who was disillusioned by people who've used god for their own financial needs and not to help the people that need it most. They build extravagant temples, wear lavish clothes, and they abuse of people's needs. So it was really more an attack on these charlatans as much as it was on the idea of god. With that said, the writing of Kanji is pretty decent because while, being an atheist, and being presented as a hustler at the beginning, he hardly comes across as an unlikable person even in his search for compensation from god for the loss of his shop. He makes a lot of good, rational arguments that even religious people would agree with and he's a charismatic presence. So it was good to see that he wasn't presented as an out-and-out asshole. The film's last act is absolutely preposterous and really does take a bit away from what the film had been trying to achieve. Kanji has a stroke in the middle of the courtroom, which leaves his left side paralyzed, the priests, with help from Kanji's friend and employee, make it so that Kanji is said to actually be god, in order to financially capitalize on his popularity and his standing up for the people who really needed it. It was absolutely ridiculous turn of events. Then again, with the motorcycle scene here, you'll know the one, it shouldn't have surprised me. And, of course, there's the obligatory song and dance scene that is one of the reasons I've consciously avoided many Bollywood films throughout the years. It doesn't even make sense within the context of the film, they say it's part of a festival, but it's bullshit. It serves absolutely no real purpose and the thing is that it takes about 5 minutes of screen time. I realize that may not be much, but it is way too long. Trust me on this one. Particularly when the film could, and should, have been much shorter. It's not as insufferably long as some of these films tend to be. But for this, I think 2 hours is much too long for this type of story. Honestly, I'm not the type of person that's gonna hate a film with religious inclinations, unless it's one of those terrible, preachy Kirk Cameron films, if it's good. The problem with these Kirk Cameron films is the fact that anyone who opposes them is instantly wrong or the enemy. Like God's Not Dead, the main villain is an atheist professor who probably sees the error of his ways at the end and breaks down crying at his "mistakes". At the very least, this film doesn't try to force a religious message down your throat and it presents an atheistic character, for the most part, as reasonable and likable. The ridiculous climax, however, where they literally deify Kanji, really took it down a notch for me. This is average at best. Not good, not bad. The film offers some solid writing and acting and some decent comedic moments. Decent Netflix watch if you've got nothing else to do.
December 31, 2014
Solid content backed with a solid performance by Paresh Rawal and a witty script. Too bad the melodrama at the end spoils the otherwise solid and necessary film for Indian religious zealots.
½ December 26, 2014
?? ?? ??...????? ???????! ??? ????? ??? ??? ????? ??? ??? ??????? ?????? ?? ????????? ?? ??? ???? ??! :P
September 14, 2014
A brilliant film that tests our faith and lays it bare for introspection. And like one of the character says, it is more about the fear of God rather than the belief in God. A highly recommendable film!
September 7, 2014
In the beginning (especially after its opening disclaimer that it was about a nonbeliever becoming a believer, so religions should totally not be offended) I was bracing myself to see an uppity atheist get his comeuppance and to be nauseated. Then Krishna shows up on a motorcycle, and it turns out this is really just a disguise for subversive satire of the priests and temples and religion as a business, and atheism comes off comparatively fine. That said, if god wants to reveal himself to me as a handsome Bollywood actor on a motorcycle, then, yeah, we can talk.
½ August 24, 2014
November 21, 2012
With enough witty dialogues & a better scripting, "OMG: Oh My God!" could have been a highly entertaining ride. The movie starts interestingly, but fails to maintain the tempo. The entertainment level keeps depleting as the movie unfolds. The ending is disastrous. Akshay Kumar's character is created lousily, and his weak performance only makes it worse. Paresh Rawal is okay, but Mithun and Mahesh Manjrekar act as showpieces. Keep your expectations lower than reasonable, and you may be satisfied with a few laughs the movie manages to deliver. My expectations were a bit higher than 2.5/5 herein.

*Add-it (on August 25, 2014) --> Better try "The Man Who Sued God" IF you're not so fond of Bollywood movies. Otherwise, OMG is not that bad a remake. Of course, as said earlier, it could have been a bit more entertaining.
½ July 20, 2014
it really what's on the poster said "A Divine Comedy"..a funny way to critic the society who make religion a way to make money for personal gain not for the good of all people.
½ October 14, 2013
This is a film wherein the 'concept' is more powerful than the movie and the characters. The adaptation from a Gujrati play is pretty good and Paresh Rawal seems very 'real'. Primarily because he is a good actor, secondarily because he has played this character umpteenth times in the aforesaid play, and thus he seems to understand the character to the core. Akshay Kumar as God is different and as usual has a commanding presence. Hats off to him to manage to not appear like a fool, which is highly probable with such roles. I am sure that Mithun in his wildest of dreams never imagined that he would ever play a 'gay type' God man. Also, the whole character was neither funny nor believable.

Now the concept - the film is majorly based upon the atrocities bestowed upon the mankind by the mankind (read God Men) in the name of God and relegion. Towards the end, it has been rightly pointed in the movie about the sad fact that, in general people do, what they do, out of FEAR and not LOVE for God.
½ August 23, 2013
Very funny film on the difference between religion and faith. As only the Indians can do.
July 29, 2013
A movie that speaks my heart. Deeds and devotion matter. Nothing else.
June 8, 2013
Definitely a bold subject that does not compromise the subject matter even by the end. The God depiction is sensationally modern and fitting. Yet, the movie falls short on both humour and drama. The opposing forces are portrayed too meek and idiotic to give rise to a better courtroom debates. The God is too passive.
June 6, 2013
Exceptional movie. The storyline was just amazing. On top of that the acting by Paresh Rawal made it even better. All in all, a really good movie to watch, especially with your family.
May 22, 2013
Bollywood directors are getting stupid and shameless day by day. Not only this movie is a complete rip-off of the acclaimed 'Man who sued God' but they thought they can get away with their dumb remake. Yuck!
½ April 13, 2013
so much promise in the begining, so much ridiculousness in the end...could ve been better, Much Better
April 10, 2013
Kanji Mehta (Paresh Rawal) is denied insurance claim for his loss which is due to act-of-god. A hilarious religious riot ensues when Kanji files a case against God himself and he won't rest until he's given the justice. Even if it meant to bring the God himself down.
½ April 1, 2013
The underlying message is very true of the state of India !
March 23, 2013
Novel concept but could have been executed better.
March 20, 2013
Great representation of the religion problem in India and how it is all just a business. People can learn a lot from the points made by this script. Paresh Rawal acted great and the casting of the priests, especially the old guy, was perfect in order to frame them in a negative manner. Great story.