The Pagemaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pagemaster Reviews

August 16, 2016
Liked it as a kid when me, my brother, and father went to go see it in the old theater. We were originally going to see the Swan Princess in that theater, but the projector malfunctioned, which forced us to watch this film! Seeing a review on this one a few years back, it makes me annoyed to see this former child celebrity shoving his face into the screen, and going, "I'm better than you"! What a loser! Even the soundtrack was trying too hard to be timeless! To this, I say, no thanks!
½ March 30, 2016
I liked this movie a lot as a kid. Re-watching this as an adult, I realize the movie's flaws and reluctantly short length are costly errors.
½ January 15, 2016
I'm probably only giving it the extra half star for nostalgia, but this movie is supper fun and filled with imagination.
½ January 8, 2016
It may not be a well done film, but it's a huge guilty pleasure for me. The animation and the overall imagery is fantastic. There're are a lot of great shots and a lot of great stuff to look at from the backgrounds to the foregrounds. It's a gorgeous film.

The acting is better than you'd expect. It feels like the actors were given this boring, cheesy, and pathetic script, but decided to put their all into their roles in order to make this movie as good as they can. They don't feel like they're phoning it in, it feels like they really are trying. Christopher Lloyd's performance as the librarian and The Pagemaster are good examples. Despite it being very over the top, you can tell he's trying his hardest to put something into these characters.

I also appreciate the character of Richard. I understand what the writers was trying to do and in the end they didn't do too bad, but it definitely could have been way better. The casting of Macaulay Culkin isn't too bad either. He definitely looks the part and his acting is ok (though pretty deadpan in the live action sequences). However, you can tell that he was mainly there to give the film some star power, and honestly I think they would have been better off with a newcomer.

Overall, the main problem of this film is it's script. It's preachy, corny, and pretentious. The lines and the dialogue are ok, but the way they handle this kind of story was pretty weak. However, it feels like the everyone else who worked on this project knew they had to try really hard to make it good and I appreciate there effort.
October 21, 2015
one of his best movies next to Richie Rich and home alone as followed by home alone 2 lost in new York
August 13, 2015
Well told. Nothing more to it.
½ June 21, 2015
An intensely underrated film, The Pagemaster takes you on a wild ride through the pages of various book genres from a child facing his fears. There are mixed messages and plot holes, but the sentiment, animation and intrigue make this film worth a trip to the library.
May 11, 2015
This movie was filled with horror, action and fantasy.
½ April 26, 2015
This is a great family film that combines live action and animated.
Some good acting by Macaulay Culkin, Patrick Stewart, Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Welker, Christopher Lloyd and Leonard Nimoy.
Lots of fun for all ages and the use of books and the library was pretty cool.
Also really liked the animation style.
April 19, 2015
A nice yarn...sweet with friendly entertainment.
March 30, 2015
I used to love this film when I was kid, but now I find that it's bland, dull, and boring (The acting also isn't all that great, and our main character is a huge pussy). It doesn't help that the whole film is an obvious ad for libraries and books (Not to mention the library here is quite possibly the dirtiest library I've ever seen). For those too young to know the various classics this film visits, this would make for a nice introduction to the magical world of books, but for anyone who is over the age of 11 I'd say this is definitely a skip it.
January 15, 2015
Delightful throughout.
½ September 10, 2014
I enjoyed watching this one with my kids, nice story about a boy who discovers the library and all the adventures it has to offer.
August 17, 2014
(First and only full viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ August 15, 2014
Loved this movie when I was little. Just watched it recently and realized it wasn't as good as I remembered but I can see how it captured my imagination when I was little
July 18, 2014
I was satiated as a kid but not as a teen
June 9, 2014
Extremely under-rated film.
April 18, 2014
Love this film from my childhood! Every time I see it it makes me want to read the classics. I believe every kid should watch this film ah least once.
April 13, 2014
A whimsical journey through several books in the genres of adventure, fantasy, and horror. Visually delightful and altogether fun. Haven't enjoyed myself quite so much since I was Rich's age.
½ February 19, 2014
Watched this when younger. But can't find it on dvd.