The Pagemaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pagemaster Reviews

May 4, 2018
A colossal failure in what it wants to do, 'The Pagemaster' is nothing more than a bland, vapid advertisement disguised as a film that tries (spectacularly fails) to teach kids the fun and importance of reading.
There's nothing wrong with teaching kids the values of reading, but by skimming through each scene, by not giving two cares in the world about the books it is portraying, and to have the nerve to disguise all this mess underneath a costly fantasy animation. One must wonder what the 21 million dollar budget would've gone into instead of this dreck?
While much of the (ahem) expensive/big-name performances are bland to the bone, even annoying to some degree because of the direction and script, but Christopher Lloyd, in particular, comes across as straight-up creepy and frightening to younger audiences with his over-the-top performance.
To conclude, there exists video games, music, and other forms of art mediums that were out back in 1994 that properly taught the importance of literature to children and that list has only continued to grow over the years since. If you hate kids, then let them watch this film.
April 24, 2018
One of the best movies of my childhood
½ January 18, 2018
This has a great story and an excellent cast.
January 8, 2018
This movie is unbelievably underrated. It's about the power of imagination and adventure. The power of stories and overcoming your fears. I know that watching this movie as a child affected me positively. It's entertaining and surprising but also full of hidden messages and wisdom. Good for curious, inquisitive children. Integrates classic stories like Dr. Jekyll. It could be a little scary for small children. It's older, so Don't except new-age animation.
October 8, 2017
This movie was terrible, and I enjoyed it when I was a kid
September 3, 2017
Even now at age 15 I love this movie ,I had watched it a long time ago and forgot the name of it and just today watched it again and I still love it
July 29, 2017
Doesn't hold up as well as you'd expect, especially for a Johnston film. Not that it's bad at all, it's just very pedestrian. Feels a bit more like an after school special. It's still kinda fun though.
½ July 14, 2017
Every time I hear about this movie, I get nostalgic because it reminds me of the younger days! I was in utter shock when I saw bad reviews of the movie because every kid has to love this! Between the imagination and the creativity that is portrayed, the movie is great. Maybe I was too young to point out "bad acting" but until this day I don't see anything wrong with the acting. All around a great movie with a plot that is not basic.
February 11, 2017
2/11/2017: This movie needs a remake as live action instead of cartoon. The plot was interesting; just didn't execute well.
December 20, 2016
The Pagemaster's satisfying viusals and the performances both live-action and animated of its cast make it a reasonably satisfying diversion for younger viewers even if it feels like a bit of a letdown compared to some far more memorable animated movies.
August 16, 2016
Liked it as a kid when me, my brother, and father went to go see it in the old theater. We were originally going to see the Swan Princess in that theater, but the projector malfunctioned, which forced us to watch this film! Seeing a review on this one a few years back, it makes me annoyed to see this former child celebrity shoving his face into the screen, and going, "I'm better than you"! What a loser! Even the soundtrack was trying too hard to be timeless! To this, I say, no thanks!
½ March 30, 2016
I liked this movie a lot as a kid. Re-watching this as an adult, I realize the movie's flaws and reluctantly short length are costly errors.
½ January 15, 2016
I'm probably only giving it the extra half star for nostalgia, but this movie is supper fun and filled with imagination.
½ January 8, 2016
It may not be a well done film, but it's a huge guilty pleasure for me. The animation and the overall imagery is fantastic. There're are a lot of great shots and a lot of great stuff to look at from the backgrounds to the foregrounds. It's a gorgeous film.

The acting is better than you'd expect. It feels like the actors were given this boring, cheesy, and pathetic script, but decided to put their all into their roles in order to make this movie as good as they can. They don't feel like they're phoning it in, it feels like they really are trying. Christopher Lloyd's performance as the librarian and The Pagemaster are good examples. Despite it being very over the top, you can tell he's trying his hardest to put something into these characters.

I also appreciate the character of Richard. I understand what the writers was trying to do and in the end they didn't do too bad, but it definitely could have been way better. The casting of Macaulay Culkin isn't too bad either. He definitely looks the part and his acting is ok (though pretty deadpan in the live action sequences). However, you can tell that he was mainly there to give the film some star power, and honestly I think they would have been better off with a newcomer.

Overall, the main problem of this film is it's script. It's preachy, corny, and pretentious. The lines and the dialogue are ok, but the way they handle this kind of story was pretty weak. However, it feels like the everyone else who worked on this project knew they had to try really hard to make it good and I appreciate there effort.
October 21, 2015
one of his best movies next to Richie Rich and home alone as followed by home alone 2 lost in new York
August 13, 2015
Well told. Nothing more to it.
½ June 21, 2015
An intensely underrated film, The Pagemaster takes you on a wild ride through the pages of various book genres from a child facing his fears. There are mixed messages and plot holes, but the sentiment, animation and intrigue make this film worth a trip to the library.
May 11, 2015
This movie was filled with horror, action and fantasy.
½ April 26, 2015
This is a great family film that combines live action and animated.
Some good acting by Macaulay Culkin, Patrick Stewart, Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Welker, Christopher Lloyd and Leonard Nimoy.
Lots of fun for all ages and the use of books and the library was pretty cool.
Also really liked the animation style.