The Pagemaster Reviews

• May 31, 2019

It wasn’t the best it was ok

It wasn’t the best it was ok

• May 29, 2019

This movie is one of my favorite childhood movies and still holds up to this day in terms of great story telling with great acting.

• Feb 03, 2019

A sweet literary adventure for kids! The Pagemaster (1994) remains one of my favorite childhood movies. Joe Johnston's direction is slick and moody, which leads into the dark fantasy adventure all in hand drawn animation. Johnston has an eye for filming rainy days and dim libraries. Johnston's direction within the eerier library persists as some of his best work. To some, I'm sure the animation looks older and cheap, but I continue to find the animated portion of The Pagemaster thrilling and smooth. The bright colors pop and the characters are charming. Children will love the jokes and journey and will easily be able to follow along. Pixote Hunt's direction in the animated segments is steadfast and quickly moving from area to area. The actual drawings from animator Pixote Hunt is simplistic in design, yet still stylish. I was particularly impressive with The Pagemaster's character design centered around literary concepts. I think the electric fairies sequence is as beautiful as any animated moment in film. While The Pagemaster slows down in the middle, I think it is short enough to hold your attention. The darling performances still entertain me in a fanciful and fun way. Maccaulay Culkin is adorable and perceptive as ever as Richard Tyler. Meanwhile, Christopher Lloyd is magically endearing as The Pagemaster. I think the aspect of The Pagemaster that people remember most is the talking books and their great voice acting. The Pagemaster features personified literary characters and genres brought to life by talking volumes. These tomes speak through the vocal talents of the Patrick Stewart, Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Welker, Leonard Nimoy, and Jim Cummings. Stewart is hilarious as the ceaselessly complaining Adventure full of boasts and braggadocio. Goldberg is the fairy like Fantasy with whimsical sarcasm and kindness. I really like Welker's take on Horror constantly being afraid at the horrors surrounding him. Nimoy is a frightening and creepy Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Lastly, Cummings is perfectly cast as Long John Silver. Lastly, I absolutely love James Horner's score. The Pagemaster's sounds are straight out of a fantasy world with sweeping and tender moments alike. The main melody is truly mesmerizing. Horner was a brilliant composer. In short, The Pagemaster is a sweet kid's adventure movie. There are many delightful performances and some cool sequences. It captures the magical joy of reading. I think The Pagemaster is worth showing your kids just for the fact that it promotes reading like diving into new fantasy worlds. It also teaches the value of bravery and courage in the face of adversity and confronting your fears.

• Dec 21, 2018

This movie plays to the heart of children and fuels the imaginations. Any person who would rate this poorly has forgotten childhood. It is not merely how well played out the plot is, or how good the illustrations are. It is about how you feel when watching it. It brings the joy of children alive. And that is what matters. A great movie with a great cast, and a great message.

• Dec 19, 2018

A guilty pleasure, very entertaining in my opinion

A guilty pleasure, very entertaining in my opinion

• Nov 26, 2018

Such hate towards this 90s children's movie. Perhaps it's pure nostalgia on my part but I loved it as a child and I love it still. As a lover of books from childhood to present the notion of entering the stories themselves delighted me. As the story suggests a beautiful book is often a welcomed escape from a less than pleasant real world life , even as a child. Yes it's silly and the plot is not overly complicated but it is a children's movie from the 90s bare in mind. The little horror book will always be my favorite, just as the genre is for me today. Top list actors of the time voice this film , and I adored the reference to classic novels of each genre their adventures take them through. Give this movie a chance for sure.

• Nov 12, 2018

With its curious mix of Time Bandits-like enchantment and plain sense of fun, The Pagemaster represents the least-annoying and most enjoyable contribution Culkin has made to the industry since Home Alone. This won't be the monster hit that movie was, but children venturing into The Pagemaster should be no less beguiled. Grownups who often feel insulted by the too-juvenile tone of most so-called "family features" will likely find this movie long enough to catch their attention, but short enough not to lose it -- in essence, a surprisingly affable (and occasionally even sophisticated) movie-going experience. Most importantly though- This film is even more relevant today 25 years on.

• Sep 03, 2018

Love this movie! I have on Blu Ray. I had to buy because it's part of my childhood.

• Jul 19, 2018

The Pagemaster is a film that I remember every-so-often. The movie was almost more of a feeling than something I can tangibly describe. The characters are silly and childish, but that was kind of the point. I was probably four years old when I was obsessed with this film, and still I remember it very clearly. For those of you who disregard this film as bad, you probably didn't see it as a young child. For me, even the thought of this movie wists me back in gleeful nostalgia. Culkin and Lloyd were simply magical, and the Nimoy as Hyde was the stuff of nightmares. I appreciate this movie for the sweet memories it gave and for the intoxicating interest in stories that it bred in me and others.

• Jun 24, 2018

Classic. Maybe not the most SOLID of stories but incredible animation that takes you on an adventure from start to finish with lots of imagination.