Paranoid Park Reviews

• Dec 18, 2019

Most unendjoyable movie i ever watched Long scence Bad Acting and Just boring

Most unendjoyable movie i ever watched Long scence Bad Acting and Just boring

• Aug 11, 2019

Gus always has such a dope shooting style, it has to do with things that aren't conventional in normal cinema drama titles. Gabe Nevins absolutely makes you want to root for him, he almost seems like he is just living a regular life. I could watch this movies over and over again, but it was nice to have this moment.

• Mar 05, 2019

Well acted and exceptionally well shot with a dreamlike quality which is hard to come by nowadays, but the movie left me feeling cold. For instance, the non-linear chronology of the plot made for a decent "slowly unfolding puzzle" effect which comes with this structure, but since it didn't have much of an effect beyond this, I feel like I would've just preferred a linear structure. In addition, some of the supporting characters could've used a lot more meat. Forgettable, but watchable.

• Sep 22, 2018

One of gus van sants better films of the 2000s

One of gus van sants better films of the 2000s

• Mar 31, 2018

I had high hopes for this film, so I tolerated the boring scenes in the first third of the movie that had no point that went on way too long. It picked up and I was intrigued and thought I was in for a big payoff. And suddenly, the credits were rolling, and there had been absolutely no resolution. Horribly frustrating.

• Feb 10, 2018

We get it, Gus, you're an artist. Paranoid Park is a would be fascinating, mainstream short film stretched to a tedious 80 minutes thanks to tired arthouse tactics. Director Gus Van Sant lazily executes his pretentious afterschool special of a screenplay with his updated signature, post Good Will Hunting, quasi cinema verite style. I haven't seen Van Sant's 2003's Elephant because I'm not excited to, Paranoid Park on the other hand, I was genuinely intrigued by. Something about a teen murder thriller surrounding Portland's notorious Paranoid Park, an underground skate park/misfit paradise/cultural phenomenon more than deserving of its own film. Unfortunately, that film is Paranoid Park, a movie that explores very little with a structure that is cryptic for the sake of high art and a pace so slow it will have you bored of boards long before the end credits. Also, I know this is an indie and the budget only allows for so much, but Van Sant cheaply reuses his pal Elliot Smith (RIP)'s "Angeles" in the soundtrack when that song will always be synonymous with Good Will Hunting. I know it seems like a relatively minor gripe in the grand scheme of things but it really isn't. As someone who appreciates the importance of sound in cinema, I thought it was a careless decision that annoyed the hell out of me.

• Feb 02, 2016

A psychologic movie that marks you forever

A psychologic movie that marks you forever

• Nov 18, 2015

Not brilliant, but too intriguing to dismiss or ignore. Wants to be some sort of middle-class, modern-day cautionary fairytale, but won't be pigeonholed. Definitely frustrating and disappointing at times, but so well observed that you quickly find yourself forgetting those moments and becoming engrossed again.

• Nov 07, 2015

Joder y es que ser adolescente no es fácil y Van Sant logra meternos en la cabeza de un adolescente en una película de maravillosas imágenes, sonidos y una música apabullante.

• Sep 19, 2015

Paranoid Park has some good ideas and portrays its teenage characters fairly accurately with a nice Indie feel to it but when the central plot point is such an underdeveloped McGuffin and all other surrounding actions in the film seem pointless, one has to wonder if the film had any real purpose.