Pump Up the Volume - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pump Up the Volume Reviews

September 6, 2016
Loved it! he's so cute / hot & good story
August 21, 2016
This is a personal 5 star for me but im sure im not the only one. This movie is galvanizing for every one who was a teen in the 90's and beyond. The soundtrack is killer but above it, the script is thight, tense and electric. A high shool movie of epic proportions, it reminds anyone who complains against the kids why they are a vital force that keeps the world changing and gives it an electric shock when it deserves it. All here in night shades, of green, red and electric blue.
March 24, 2016
Kinda fun. Surprisingly rated R for how light it feels. You don't need to go back to see it but you wont mind if you do.
½ November 3, 2015
Il y a une énergie et une honnêteté folle dans Pump Up The Volume qui fait que le film d'Allan Moyle reste une oeuvre culte pour les jeunes ayant grandi avec. Malheureusement, ceux qui ne sont pas de cette époque ne ressentiront pas les mêmes choses, car mine de rien, Pump Up The Volume est tout de même centré sur des problèmes désuets, le digne héritier d'un John Hughes qui ne doit plus vraiment parler à grand-monde aujourd'hui. Ceci dit, les performances de Christian Slater et Samantha Mathis sont particulièrement bonnes et la bande-son très réussie. Certaines séquences sont marquantes, d'autres un peu ringardes, mais c'est ce qui fait l'originalité de ce Pump Up The Volume. A voir pour la curiosité.
June 7, 2015
e od tuka bese Crni Bombarder iskopiran :)
½ February 19, 2015
Teen angst drama about a high school kid who becomes a local legend when he starts his own late night radio show with his ham stereo. Outstanding performances by its entire cast.
December 31, 2014
I knew Slater was to be a major star for years to come after this terrific indie.....well OK maybe not so much a star as much as a flash in the pan and now straight to DVD has been.
October 4, 2014
A teen movie with a brain, this film is satisfying because it raises a lot of the pertinent questions about growing up, and does not try to answer them in any other way except by screaming for you to be yourself. It does not romanticize the teenage years, nor does it lament them as the wort years of our lives. It reveals them as important steps for us discovering who we are; finding our voice. Slater was never better before, nor has he been better since. This movie is just as relevant now as it was 24 years ago. It is not dated. Instead of pirate radio shows, now we have Facebook and other social media to either reveal or hide who we really are. A fantastic coming of age story, with a fitting ending.
½ July 18, 2014
wow rave reviews for a movie about a guy talking about boring stuff....reviewers sure like pretentious movies
April 15, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
April 11, 2014
½ March 14, 2014
My first review in over a year... that freaks me out a little. I have written on movies during that time period of course, but maybe not in Rotten Tomatoes fashion, so they stay within the confines of my Documents folder. My disclaimer is that I have a pretty strong affection for somewhat dated teen movies. I think they are a hell of a lot of fun-- not something totally corny for us "superior" generations to laugh at.

Pump Up the Volume is the tale of teen pirate radio host Happy Harry Hard-on, broadcasting his intensely rebellious, radical, anti-authority message. The popularity of his radio persona and influence over his classmates eventually lands him in the ring with the FCC. It stars Christian Slater with as much charismatic angst as you could possibly hope for.

This movie was part of a series of screenings for New Line Cinema class. I felt like taking a moment to write on Pump Up the Volume, because it really irks me to see people of my age constantly laughing at movies like this. I concede that it is a little outdated and a little extreme in its message, but it isn't stupid. I'm not trying to come off as if I take this movie 100% seriously, but I did find something worthwhile in it. It is relentlessly entertaining, and while I don't plan to go set fire to something or vandalize my school, the message is a positive one if not taken so literally.

The people who make fun of this movie and others like it are shutting themselves off from finding anything to take away from it. Pointing out every detail of 1990 outrageousness is a profound waste of time. Movies like this are great and absolutely deserve our time, because they give us a wonderful view into the past. I'm not sure why this film gets less attention than Brat Pack and John Hughes canon, but it's definitely worth noting. It's far edgier and angrier than its 1980s counterparts.

I don't see anything delirious or exasperating about Pump Up the Volume. The performances certainly weren't dreadful-- I thought they were quite good. It's very funny, but it isn't laughable in the way that modern audiences feel the need to make it. For all movies we find dated, Let it be what it was meant be.

90% -- Give it a chance.
February 9, 2014
Wish it was available on iTunes or Ultraviolet
December 28, 2013
Fucking love this film.
September 10, 2013
This is one of the most important and most profound films of the 90's. A relentlessly honest script, terrific performances, and a stellar soundtrack makes "Pump Up the Volume" a truly great film.
September 8, 2013
You only get one chance to rebel against whatever's considered corrupt and nonjudgmental, and this film has all the answers to how we all shall live up to our rights. So be it...
September 6, 2013
vorrei averlo visto a 16 anni. fatemi tornare indietro nel tempo.
August 24, 2013
I have wanted to see this one for as long as I can remember, and honestly have no idea what took me so long.

Slater is fantastic as the shy kid that barely speaks by day, the most important voice on radio by night. I'm not sure this film will be for everyone, as much of the film is just Slater ranting for awhile to his radio audience.

But as a teenager growing up, I remember dealing with a lot of these problems and my school was no different in that nearly all the adults didn't care about you. They just wanted you to pass their classes and get out of their sites, never offering to give a listening ear or some much needed guidance.

The music in the film is stuff I hated growing up, but have come to enjoy more as an adult.

I just wish the ending would have been stronger. Like I wanted another ten minutes to see what happened.

And Samantha Mathis in her first role is very good as well. She not only nails her part, but is not above throwing her clothes off either! :)

And Buffy fans, look for very early roles from Juliet Landau and Seth Green; Green's hair is so awful.
July 23, 2013
A truly great film that doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves, this is the ultimate inspirational high school rebellion story that simmers with intensity and scathing critique of everything wrong with high school. A funny, moving, and exhilarating classic that every teenager should take to heart.
April 30, 2013
Text book teen comedy staring Christian Slater as I quiet high school student by day and motor mouth pirate radio Dj at night. Some decent gags and the soundtrack is the fucking balls. Nice set of charlies on Samantha Mathis.