Pump Up the Volume Reviews

• Jan 26, 2021

That first kiss though... Teenage rebellion movies don't really get any better.

That first kiss though... Teenage rebellion movies don't really get any better.

• Dec 26, 2020

A shy new kid finds release and anonymous adulation running a pirate radio station that plays Leonard Cohen records and exposes the corruption at his elitist high school. His reign of terror gives a voice to the ignored in his Stepford Wives town and makes him a local hero to the kids who don't fit the mold. Ground breaking and clever, this forgotten gem inspired a generation of weirdos to do as wished and cast off the weight of expectations. Glorious teen rebellion against the clonal conformity of the eighties era.

• Nov 05, 2020

The movie speaks to teen angst like nothing since The Breakfast Club and has one of the best soundtracks of all-time! Gave me my first introduction to Leonard Cohen.

• Oct 09, 2020

It's a goofy premise on the surface. Teenaged shock-DJ on pirate radio. Teen flick. Fluff. Requisite angst of the slacker generation living in the 'burbs. WRONG. Messages within messages layer this movie, all threaded through with a truly eclectic soundtrack featuring Leonard Cohen, Ice-T and The Pixies (among others.) This movie was the moment many of us found our own voices.

• Sep 23, 2020

It's rare a teen film like this can remain soo poignant after soo many years, but here's Pump Up the Volume, with just as much bite as when it debuted. It's a sharp, introspective social commentary, while also being a satisfying fist pumping rally against authority. All topped off with a killer soundtrack

• Aug 23, 2020

Christian Slater and Samantha Mathis in a teen comedy-romance about using your own voice to speak up for yourself Sorta in the lines of ‘Radio Rebel' a young DJ in high school Mark Hunter takes on the secret persona of "Hard Harry" on a shortwave radio to broadcast his strong views He feels that the system of America is so screwed up and challenges the authoritative power of his school Mathis is Nora who hangs on to his every word and is the only one who knows Harry's secret But how long can he keep this up before the teachers discover who he is or until the FCC shuts him down for his outrageous beliefs? To them it's not freedom of speech or expression Mark sets ablaze a revolution in the student body; it's tough to be a teenager, it's not about giving up it's about surviving and living through it, we all have the basic right to an education and shouldn't be kicked to the curb, we should find our own voice and use it The ending felt anticlimactic but the overall message is loud and clear Im happy the filmmakers even played Everybody Knows by Concrete Blonde, one of my fav songs Even today the movies themes are universal and a rallying cry for the teenage world We all need to find our own voice and use it to speak truth to power This was also during the height of shock jocks in the early 90s The movie also acts as microcosm for corruption Pretty cool it tackled bullying, teen suicides, and gay students; almost no one listens to the troubles these people go through but thankfully there is one out there who manages to listen and speak up for them You can shut down the radio or turn off the tv but you can never silence the overall message when it goes viral for all to hear Slater and Mathis rock as leaders who both act for all the struggling listeners who need a voice to get them through the trials of life Mark never intended to start something so daring but the spotlight shined on him and it's not like he could turn away just like that Nora eggs him to continue the work he started and give these kids a reason to be hopeful in their troubled existence In the end all of us need to speak for the current generation in a world full of those more powerful who are willing to silence us A good movie that talks to us and not down

• Jun 18, 2020

An impressive and funny movie that has a brilliant sense of humor to it.

An impressive and funny movie that has a brilliant sense of humor to it.

• Apr 24, 2020

Loved this movie! Christian Slater again proves that he is such a great actor. I liked how this movie was funny yet had quite a deep(er) meaning to it and shows what is wrong with society, how being different and thinking differently doesn't mean you don't belong.

• Mar 04, 2020

Good 90's fun, dark and rebellious.

Good 90's fun, dark and rebellious.

• Jan 12, 2020

Uber teen angst in the desert. High schooler chews gum, takes names and exposes adult baddies.