RamLeela Reviews

• Sep 18, 2019

A terrible version of Romeo-Juliet story. The only saving grace in this movie are songs, that are beautifully choreographed.

• Sep 11, 2019

Ram-Leela is ultimately a very entertaining love story which raises the bars of a Sanjay Leela Bhansali film. The visuals are stunning, but the gore can clearly be seen amidst the vivid colors. Ram and Leela are original, intimate, playful and notorious, but the rebellious spirits of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet are clearly to be seen in them. The visually remarkable and unhealthy but still, entertaining film is something always worth your time, money and emotions.

• Dec 25, 2018

This Bollywood retelling of the classic story, "Romeo and Juliet," is pretty good overall. I think the two leads have solid chemistry which is really what any retelling of the story rides on so that is a major plus. I thought, for the most part, the movie follows the story as we know it and sticks to its source material with a different setting and enjoyable musical numbers. I do feel the movie does build up solid momentum but starts to slow way down in the final act because the story starts to become pretty uneventful. If you like the "Romeo and Juliet" story or are just curious about a different take on it, this movie is worth checking out at least once.

• Sep 17, 2017

Don't know why there is such a low rating! This is simply the best Romeo Juliet adaptation ever made and I have seen them all. If you enjoy Bollywood, then this is in the top.

• Apr 09, 2017

Just one word. Pathetic

Just one word. Pathetic

• Jan 03, 2016

Wonderful songs and steamy romance, it feels like a Hindi West Side Story. Shakespeare would be smiling from the grave over this delightful treatment.

• Oct 31, 2015

Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela is a Bollywood movie that is one, based around the story of Romeo and Juliet, and two is quite a mouthful. The film features everything from big dances to kind of crazy songs and to say this is supposed to be one of Shakespeare's tragedies well then it sure doesn't feel like that. The film is set around the 500 year old feud between two clans, the Rajadi's and the Sanera's and both although maybe don't go to war with each other, if you cross the dividing line between the two's areas, you're in big trouble. The story plays out a bit insanely, at 155 minutes long it feels stretched out and even for a Bollywood movie this is just too long for what material it has. The story flies around the place and never settles down and even at times can become increasingly confusing as well with the entire crazy goings on that happen. The characters of Ram Rajadi(Romeo) and Leela Sanera(Juliet) are unlikeable as the two leads, the chemistry doesn't light a match, it's dull and especially in the case of Ram where he is not a likeable person from the first time he rides in on his motorbike. Ranveer Singh plays Ram and is not that great in the role, like I said fails to create a person you can like, sure at the beginning he is meant to be unlikeable but over time you are meant to get to connect with him more. Deepika Padukone is slightly better in the role, still not so so likeable but she still does a job that she manages well. She really excels when she gets into a position of power in the movie, where no one can tell her what to do and what to think, she becomes a better actor when she is shouting I swear. The director Sanjay Leela Bhansali is behind the helm on this movie and I feel he fails to do what he usually has to do in the movies he makes. It's the pure emotion that is lacking here and the love side of things just never works, we never feel bad for any character nor that happy and when we should be rooting for certain people, it just never materialises. He co-writes the movie as well and although the script isn't horrific, well it isn't much to shout about either way, the movie suffers from basic dialogue and some over dramatics that just make this feel silly but not in a fun way. I'll give the film credit where it's due some, it's shot well and the choice of camera angles is done well so that at least the movie is trying to show you some raw emotion of the characters involved. I liked the settings too, the shots taken in Udaipur are purely beautiful and the film definitely uses it's backdrop to great effect. The parts mostly shot in Gujarat are beautiful too, some of the movies scenes get a little confusing where suddenly a character is in the desert but all in all it looks great. Overall if I had to point to an adaption of Romeo and Juliet it wouldn't be this one although I can't say I have ever seen it done in such a fun kind of way. The choreography is nice there is no doubt all though the songs are not always fantastic, if the movie has made the characters more developed (which they could have in such a long film) then the movie would have been so much more lovely and we could have maybe actually felt something for the people who get very emotional in this movie.

• Oct 29, 2015

Shakespeare with an acceptably fresh, modern reworking - although no surprises in the plot. There's high production values throughout.

• Jul 19, 2015

It's hard to stress how stupid this movie is. Deepika Padukone (as Leela) and Supriya Pathak are excellent as the female leaders of their gang/family, but Ram is self-absorbed to the point of parody, and it's hard to understand what Leela sees in him, and the audience doesn't much like him, and therefore it's hard to care about the story. The tone of the movie is all over the map. The lighter and comedic bits work well, as do some of the music interludes, but it is also about an hour too long. If this were a 90-minute off-beat modern parody of Romeo & Juliet set in India, it would be very good. As it is, it is bloated and uneven. I would rewatch some of the dance sequences, but I wouldn't want to sit through this again.

• Jun 22, 2015