Ran Reviews

• Jun 03, 2019

Ran is a 1985 film directed by Akira Kurosawa, who also directed Seven Samurai and Rashomon. The film stars Tatsuya Nakadai as Lord Hidetora Ichimonji and Jinpachi Nezu as Jiro Masatora Ichimonji. The story I personally felt was really engaging and portrayed extremely well. The story was also both tragic, but fulfilling simultaneously. The acting was also really strong especially Tatsuya Nakadai as Lord Hidetora Ichimonji, I felt that he brung a vibrant and spontaneous flow to the already great character. The characters were strong and portrayed very well, especially the Ichimonji's and Tango. The cinematography was also very strong, with some really outstanding shots of the scenery and characters. The settings also helped with the atmosphere and story of the film, from the main setting of Mount Aso to the various castles set on Mount Aso. The sets and props I found to be great, from the various set designs to the sheer detail in the weapons and decorations. The costumes and makeup were in my opinion one of the greatest aspects of the film, especially with the various warriors and Lord Hidetora Ichimonji. The style of the film I also found to be really strong, from the amazing colour palette to the way the characters interact. The practical effects were also done extremely well, especially all the great and dangerous stunts. The action I found was also really strong, with in my opinion some of the best deaths in cinematic history. The film also has some very unique and stylised music, which worked really well with the atmosphere and tone of the film. The film at points also had some really strong atmosphere, especially in the second and third act. The film I also really enjoyed, and I hope to watch it again very soon. Over all I give it a 9/10 98% 4.9/5

• May 19, 2019

Akira Kurosawa had great takes on the plays of Shakespeare and this epic shook me to my core. Three sons replaced Lear's daughters in this tale of betrayal and misplaced love.

• Mar 13, 2019

What just may be the greatest movie of the 80's, Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" tells the story of William Shakespeare's "King Lear" has emotionally affected moviegoers (like me) since it has came out. Filled with some of the best choreographed action sequences to come out in film. Akira Kurosawa films another masterpiece of a film.

• Jan 14, 2019

a masterpiece, sadly only missing Toshiro Mifune; however the film is brilliant in its own right without Kuro's muse. Tatsuya Nakadai is amazing as the "King Lear" of this Shakespearean reworking, with some of the greatest battle footage this side of Good the Bad and the Ugly.

• Dec 16, 2018

My Favorite Film of All Time. The last great film that Akira Kurosawa made. A true classic.

• Nov 16, 2018

This film was great.

This film was great.

• Nov 13, 2018

There's some truly perfect moments of cinema here, but that doesn't totally hide the fact that, just like its protagonist, it gets more and more thin and frail as it goes, and the point of the film seems to have been forgotten long before its over.

• Oct 08, 2018

Not his best but still watchable and enjoyable.

Not his best but still watchable and enjoyable.

• Sep 21, 2018

Kurosawa's most suspenseful and visually-stunning tragedy.

Kurosawa's most suspenseful and visually-stunning tragedy.

• Aug 27, 2018