Red - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Reviews

½ February 8, 2011
better than i expected. had quite a few twists..
June 25, 2016
They're old. It's kind of OK I guess.
October 19, 2010
Great film. Helen Mirren is badass.
May 20, 2016
A competent action flick with a good amount of humor involved. I enjoyed this one, but feel no need to see it again.
½ April 10, 2016
Super fun crazy action! Great to see the old guys (and girls!) being rad. I found the story a little confusing, but maybe I should have paid closer attention. Helen Mirren is so amazing. Can't wait to watch the sequel!
Watched at Sam's on Netflix, April 9, 2016.
October 23, 2010
Red is fun packed entertainment - enjoyed a movie this refreshing after such a long time
½ March 6, 2016
Just saw this movie in 2016. Delightful! How you get a spy movie, adventure, movie, and comedy to work is pretty good. A lot of fun!
½ February 20, 2016
It's exactly the type of movie John Malkovich would play in.
October 16, 2010
Thought there'd be more laughs, but overall not a bad flick.
½ February 9, 2016
At the beginning, Frank tore the checks up every time and called Sarah to send him again .. It's actually a kind of creepy part to watch xD
February 5, 2016
RED is a stupid movie, but it's stupid in a good way which is very rare, the comedy is what keeps this one afloat and the great cast.
December 15, 2010
Best portrayal of a "Comic," book coming to life! Watch it.
½ October 24, 2010
A decent movie, despite me originally thinking it was 'too boring' as a teenager.
January 18, 2016
Bruce Willis still doesn't care
October 16, 2010
Helen Mirren really doesn't blink while firing the machine gun :)
½ January 7, 2016
Good mix of action and comedy. Bruce Willis, still can pull of an action star at any age.
½ January 4, 2016
Action packed, funny and stupendous cast.
½ January 1, 2016
Surprisingly good and funny.
November 11, 2010
140306: The novelty has worn off a bit. Felt flat but that may be me. Will have to watch again.
½ December 19, 2015
With its jazzy score and high quality cast, Red thinks it's a pretty cool movie and to be fair at times it is, but for me just not overall. It uses action well and uses it enough not to make you think about the plot going on around it too much but it isn't good enough for me to cover the pretty average movie this is. It's pretty generic really, I mean don't get me wrong it tries to maybe make itself feel new and refreshing but for me it never steps up to a level at which it needs to get to if it wants to be enjoyable, but actually not also brainless. The plot revolves around an old team of RED (Retired, Extremely Dangerous) ex agents who come together to try and stop high skilled assassins and thugs sent from unknown assailants.

The cast has a lot of big names in it, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren and other names where you just might watch thinking "Hey its them, what are they doing in this". It does kind of feel odd if you come from the perspective of knowing nothing about this, big names are basically turned into action stars and with the exception really of Bruce Willis, many of the big names in this you would not expect to ever see them in such roles. They have fun for sure and it is fun in certain moments, but I feel it isn't fun enough and it never does enough to truly feel satisfactory. Bruce Willis as Frank Moses is, well he looks bored in the role, he isn't great here and although I think he is great casting, he doesn't do a good job. For me the two polar opposite actors here are Mary-Louise Parker who is pretty bad and John Malkovich who is pretty awesome, could not be different in how they play out their individual roles.

Robert Schwentke directs and he doesn't do a great job, doesn't get enough out of the story and although the action is well taken care of, some choices in the pacing and timing of things is not done well. Too often in this it is a case of why didn't they shoot them in the head, why did they take so long to shoot and ultimately, who would or how would you ever get out of that or do such a thing. I don't like to criticise a film like this too much I mean it is mediocre but does contain some OK bits certainly, as mentioned the action is good, Malkovich is pretty funny and sometimes the cast can make all the difference in a scene, so this is not all bad by any means.

I must mention the screenplay from Jon Hoeber and Erich Hoeber who both create a script that could I guess on paper look pretty nice but when visualised like how it is, just does not. The movie looks like it wants to be stylish with nicely done stunts, pretty pumped up action characters and a score that gives off a smell of self-satisfaction. In fact on the point of self-satisfaction, that is the one thing I truly felt made this irritating, you can see where the people making this thought "oh that looks cool, put it in" and I don't mean the actors but just the technical side of things as all. I'm not going to say don't see this, it's nothing bad in fact I don't even think it's poor but it is average though, same old and it just for me couldn't escape that feel.