Revolver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revolver Reviews

February 5, 2017
The cinematography, production value, visuals, and cast are fantastic. The chess aspect, and all of its scenes, are a work of art. Jason Statham is pretty good, but I just can't believe the roles/movies he takes. André Benjamin is fantastic! Mark Strong is barely in it, but when he is, he's great! Ray Liotta is fine, but not at his best. The direction and writing from Guy Ritchie is fine. Luc Besson was also credited as an "Adaptation" writer? By the end, I liked it enough that I'd wanna watch it again, and probably would buy it because of that and it'd probably be cheap!
October 9, 2016
over indulgent pretentious rubbish, come on Ritchie, you are so much better than this!
½ September 4, 2016
undoubtedly a incredible work from his genre itself. sadly, general opinion is prone to simplier stuff.
September 2, 2016
Alla fine il film lascia più dubbi che risposte, dato che la narrazione è incoerente e senza filo logico. Per poco meno di due ore si guarda una storia praticamente senza senso, con qualche espediente registico che fa apprezzare qualche rara scena, ma che in generale non salvano un film pensato male fin dall'inizio.
July 2, 2016
As a movie alone it is difficult to follow but with a read into the philosophy of the movie it is a wonderful metaphor for a revolutionary philosophy that could help fix many of the problems in society
June 25, 2016
You'd think Luc Besson and Guy Ritchie would team up for something fantastic. Not this time. Not this time. Still pretty cool.
½ June 17, 2016
garbage, couldn't reach the end
½ May 1, 2016
Pretentious and not as smart as it thinks it is.
March 31, 2016
helluva confusing but and ends very open ended .... lets you create a plot for yourself
jamrcla
½ March 26, 2016
I'm sure I'm not the only one but I found this movie hard to follow at times and was left wondering if it's a good or bad film and in the end I chose bad, It tries to be too clever at times and some scenes that should of been good never work out that way, I hung in there hoping to work my head around it but to no prevail, But Stathams performance was pretty good and is the best thing in a poor movie (Stathams career in a nutshell)
½ March 1, 2016
Not your mainstream movie, narrow audience...Intriguing & interestingly filmed. It will make you think & keep you guessing. Not a movie I would have picked to watch but I must say that I got into it. You will either hate it or love it.
March 1, 2016
this had the potential of being a great movie if it wasn't for the random nonsensical psychobable
February 4, 2016
An incoherent mess. My least favorite Guy Ritchie film.
January 3, 2016
Magnolia, Mr Nobody, Cashback, Land of the Blind, Eden Log, Watchmen, Requiem For A Dream and Black Snake Moan are some of the movies that made the greatest impression on me until quite recently.

Revolver blew them all away. Revolver is beyond without comparison the deepest movie I've ever seen. It is all about exploring what Freud called the "id" aka the reptilian brain aka instinct. It explores the nature of fear, pain, rage, compassion and trust and teaches us how important it is to allow the right aspects of your "id" to dominate your self to find inner balance and happiness.

Unfortunately Ritchie goes way over most people's heads with that message, which is why it doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. I know it's a cliché and I'm going to get butchered for this, but those who call this movie a pretentious mess are either not intelligent enough to get it or not mature enough to understand the depth and beauty of it.

Technically, this movie was perfect as well. The pacing perfectly accompanied the message of the movie as it gradually unfolded. Repeating themes help the viewer organize his thoughts as the message gets clearer and our understanding of the meaning of these themes becomes richer and more powerful.

While not as rich as Mr Nobody or Cashback from a purely audiovisual perspective, the audiovisual appeal was nevertheless very strong and formed a perfect whole with the message and pacing.

Casting and acting were no less excellent. Each character perfectly filled the role they played. No one felt out of place and Statham was a much better actor than I ever thought he could be.

This is a movie you should see at least twice. Once you really "get" the story, a second viewing makes it a whole new experience that's no less worth watching. But that's only if you get it. Most people just don't get it and won't ever get it...
½ January 3, 2016
A second viewing was definitely required. A thought provoking movie about the ego. I thought it was brilliant and is so underrated. There is two versions of the film. I prefer the harder to find version with the specialists talking about the ego during the credits, which also simplifies the ending.
October 26, 2015
A Guy Ritchie classic, the acting and cast are perfect for this introspective look at a human trait and condition. Wonderfully acted by Jason Statham and Ray Liotta in two classic roles the former boss and new bigger boss who finds redemption in self exploration and enlightenment. I love this film!
½ September 27, 2015
Jason Statham no como héroe de acción, sino como la víctima, es un espectáculo digno de verse, en una historia de mafiosos entretenida, compleja, rompe-cocos, y con una carga psicológica interesante, que incluye a un magnífico Ray Liotta.
½ September 21, 2015
What a big misfire from Ritchie!
The movies tries to imitate being a clever one but it actually ends up as a flop!
September 19, 2015
What can I say about Revolver that is good I mean this is a mess of a movie and little bits here and there that are meant to be good things are so badly made. Alright maybe I have come out the blocks a little harsh I mean Revolver is not one of the worst ever, but it certainly is near to it a terrible production from a man I felt could do no wrong in film, disappointed actually is the right word. From the messed up story that is so pretentious to the acting from actually good actors who then mess it up somehow, I can only think of a few minute things that are good in this.

The plot is about a man named Jake Green who is a good man with the cards and seriously annoys some guy named Dorothy Macha(Ray Liotta) who wants Green to control some of his games for him. Green refuses Macha and that means that Green has a lot of trouble coming toward him and his family. The film really loses itself when it starts trying to bring in the mental breakdown of the characters, philosophical quotes and awful characters that have not been developed at all. Of all the story the ending just makes it worse with so much going on it becomes confusing and the way in which Guy Ritchie deals with the story is not good at all.

Is the acting good? , well no not really although Jason Statham isn't all bad but just caught up in something he shouldn't have got into. Ray Liotta is bad and I mean that, he can do well I have witnessed it before but this is a low for him and I don't really think the script or the character himself helped him. Of all the bad things about this movie one or maybe even two stick out in the actors department, the casting of Vincent Pastore and Andre Benjamin. Those two are so badly picked and yet again they are not helped by the script, I couldn't believe how bad some things were from them especially Benjamin who just got annoying by the end.

Whatever you think yourself of this movie you can't deny this is not Guy Ritchie at his best, the influences he had at the time from Kabbalah influences pock mark this movie everywhere, and although of course I am not criticising Kabbalah, Ritchie just doesn't how to incorporate it or realise he didn't have to at all! I hated the quotes, I hated the numbers he tries to use over and over and in general I hated this movie, dull is not the right word because boredom is topped then with stupidity. Ritchie's direction style is well the kind of style you expect, the kind of thing you might see in his other movies but just not in an awful plot. The writing is probably the worst thing overall in this, terribly written and at times makes no sense and can even just make a normal scene poor instantly.

If I had to cough up some finer points, well the score isn't all bad and is another thing that you see in Ritchie's films which is kind of a good thing with the loud music but good music nevertheless. The acting is bad but not everyone fails, the addition of Mark Strong should have been more as he isn't really a main character but he should have been. Some of the action scenes are not all bad but you still may look at them in wonder of why did they do that and who thought it would be good.

So all in all Revolver is a movie that is extremely passable and although I would say to Ritchie fans go and watch this, even you might dislike it. If you want unneeded philosophical quotes, bad acting from some of the cast and some of the worst writing I have seen a while then go see Revolver, a movie that really doesn't feel like much of a good movie.
September 18, 2015
Guy Ritchie makes good movies but there's always the one exeption to the rule and apparently, "Revolver" is that one exeption (saying this when I haven't seen his Madonna movie but what the hell). Genre-jumping is very tricky and dangerous tool when making movies and it rarely works. Here it doesn't work. Starting as a con movie, sliding to crime movie but then to surreal mystery and even into an art form, only to end back to con movie...no, it does not work.