Revolver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revolver Reviews

July 2, 2016
As a movie alone it is difficult to follow but with a read into the philosophy of the movie it is a wonderful metaphor for a revolutionary philosophy that could help fix many of the problems in society
June 25, 2016
You'd think Luc Besson and Guy Ritchie would team up for something fantastic. Not this time. Not this time. Still pretty cool.
½ June 17, 2016
garbage, couldn't reach the end
½ May 1, 2016
Pretentious and not as smart as it thinks it is.
March 31, 2016
helluva confusing but and ends very open ended .... lets you create a plot for yourself
½ March 26, 2016
I'm sure I'm not the only one but I found this movie hard to follow at times and was left wondering if it's a good or bad film and in the end I chose bad, It tries to be too clever at times and some scenes that should of been good never work out that way, I hung in there hoping to work my head around it but to no prevail, But Stathams performance was pretty good and is the best thing in a poor movie (Stathams career in a nutshell)
½ March 1, 2016
Not your mainstream movie, narrow audience...Intriguing & interestingly filmed. It will make you think & keep you guessing. Not a movie I would have picked to watch but I must say that I got into it. You will either hate it or love it.
March 1, 2016
this had the potential of being a great movie if it wasn't for the random nonsensical psychobable
February 4, 2016
An incoherent mess. My least favorite Guy Ritchie film.
January 3, 2016
Magnolia, Mr Nobody, Cashback, Land of the Blind, Eden Log, Watchmen, Requiem For A Dream and Black Snake Moan are some of the movies that made the greatest impression on me until quite recently.

Revolver blew them all away. Revolver is beyond without comparison the deepest movie I've ever seen. It is all about exploring what Freud called the "id" aka the reptilian brain aka instinct. It explores the nature of fear, pain, rage, compassion and trust and teaches us how important it is to allow the right aspects of your "id" to dominate your self to find inner balance and happiness.

Unfortunately Ritchie goes way over most people's heads with that message, which is why it doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. I know it's a cliché and I'm going to get butchered for this, but those who call this movie a pretentious mess are either not intelligent enough to get it or not mature enough to understand the depth and beauty of it.

Technically, this movie was perfect as well. The pacing perfectly accompanied the message of the movie as it gradually unfolded. Repeating themes help the viewer organize his thoughts as the message gets clearer and our understanding of the meaning of these themes becomes richer and more powerful.

While not as rich as Mr Nobody or Cashback from a purely audiovisual perspective, the audiovisual appeal was nevertheless very strong and formed a perfect whole with the message and pacing.

Casting and acting were no less excellent. Each character perfectly filled the role they played. No one felt out of place and Statham was a much better actor than I ever thought he could be.

This is a movie you should see at least twice. Once you really "get" the story, a second viewing makes it a whole new experience that's no less worth watching. But that's only if you get it. Most people just don't get it and won't ever get it...
½ January 3, 2016
A second viewing was definitely required. A thought provoking movie about the ego. I thought it was brilliant and is so underrated. There is two versions of the film. I prefer the harder to find version with the specialists talking about the ego during the credits, which also simplifies the ending.
October 26, 2015
A Guy Ritchie classic, the acting and cast are perfect for this introspective look at a human trait and condition. Wonderfully acted by Jason Statham and Ray Liotta in two classic roles the former boss and new bigger boss who finds redemption in self exploration and enlightenment. I love this film!
½ September 27, 2015
Jason Statham no como héroe de acción, sino como la víctima, es un espectáculo digno de verse, en una historia de mafiosos entretenida, compleja, rompe-cocos, y con una carga psicológica interesante, que incluye a un magnífico Ray Liotta.
½ September 21, 2015
What a big misfire from Ritchie!
The movies tries to imitate being a clever one but it actually ends up as a flop!
September 19, 2015
What can I say about Revolver that is good I mean this is a mess of a movie and little bits here and there that are meant to be good things are so badly made. Alright maybe I have come out the blocks a little harsh I mean Revolver is not one of the worst ever, but it certainly is near to it a terrible production from a man I felt could do no wrong in film, disappointed actually is the right word. From the messed up story that is so pretentious to the acting from actually good actors who then mess it up somehow, I can only think of a few minute things that are good in this.

The plot is about a man named Jake Green who is a good man with the cards and seriously annoys some guy named Dorothy Macha(Ray Liotta) who wants Green to control some of his games for him. Green refuses Macha and that means that Green has a lot of trouble coming toward him and his family. The film really loses itself when it starts trying to bring in the mental breakdown of the characters, philosophical quotes and awful characters that have not been developed at all. Of all the story the ending just makes it worse with so much going on it becomes confusing and the way in which Guy Ritchie deals with the story is not good at all.

Is the acting good? , well no not really although Jason Statham isn't all bad but just caught up in something he shouldn't have got into. Ray Liotta is bad and I mean that, he can do well I have witnessed it before but this is a low for him and I don't really think the script or the character himself helped him. Of all the bad things about this movie one or maybe even two stick out in the actors department, the casting of Vincent Pastore and Andre Benjamin. Those two are so badly picked and yet again they are not helped by the script, I couldn't believe how bad some things were from them especially Benjamin who just got annoying by the end.

Whatever you think yourself of this movie you can't deny this is not Guy Ritchie at his best, the influences he had at the time from Kabbalah influences pock mark this movie everywhere, and although of course I am not criticising Kabbalah, Ritchie just doesn't how to incorporate it or realise he didn't have to at all! I hated the quotes, I hated the numbers he tries to use over and over and in general I hated this movie, dull is not the right word because boredom is topped then with stupidity. Ritchie's direction style is well the kind of style you expect, the kind of thing you might see in his other movies but just not in an awful plot. The writing is probably the worst thing overall in this, terribly written and at times makes no sense and can even just make a normal scene poor instantly.

If I had to cough up some finer points, well the score isn't all bad and is another thing that you see in Ritchie's films which is kind of a good thing with the loud music but good music nevertheless. The acting is bad but not everyone fails, the addition of Mark Strong should have been more as he isn't really a main character but he should have been. Some of the action scenes are not all bad but you still may look at them in wonder of why did they do that and who thought it would be good.

So all in all Revolver is a movie that is extremely passable and although I would say to Ritchie fans go and watch this, even you might dislike it. If you want unneeded philosophical quotes, bad acting from some of the cast and some of the worst writing I have seen a while then go see Revolver, a movie that really doesn't feel like much of a good movie.
September 18, 2015
Guy Ritchie makes good movies but there's always the one exeption to the rule and apparently, "Revolver" is that one exeption (saying this when I haven't seen his Madonna movie but what the hell). Genre-jumping is very tricky and dangerous tool when making movies and it rarely works. Here it doesn't work. Starting as a con movie, sliding to crime movie but then to surreal mystery and even into an art form, only to end back to con movie...no, it does not work.
September 2, 2015
That part of us that needs to destroy what we fear--what we don't understand--is precisely the thing that makes us dislike this film. That part of us that needs to control or destroy: *this* is our actual enemy. .

The film explains that it is a film--not a depiction of an actual place or particular time--but that we, in the real world, in the audience, are imprisoned within our minds. Jake Green acts as Christ/ Neo/ Buddha, one who ascends to a god-like Christ-consciousness through defeating Mr. Gold. Unlike Neo--who is basically a decent guy--Mr. Green is a conman. But he's good to his brother and niece. Avi & Zack's characters are basically Trinity & Morpheus, hacking their world through masterful cons. But Avi and Jack also speak directly to the audience, telling them that you too can overcome that awful thing you'd prefer doesn't really exist.

If you don't get it, a team of professional shrinks explain it all in the credits, at least in the 2008 American edition, which I recommend.
½ August 30, 2015
Since Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was awesome and so was Snatch, logic dictated that a third collaboration between Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham would be awesome.

After making the mistake of directing a romantic drama remake film headlined by Madonna, Revolver clearly serves as an attempt to return Guy Ritchie to his roots. But since it feels like everything has already been done before, the real problem is that it's hard to care about the narrative. Guy Ritchie has a knack for stylish and gritty crime thrillers, but Revolver lacks the innovative punch that came from the energetic and black comedy-fueled subject matter of his earliest works. Part of the problem with the story is that despite putting its focus onto the parallel narratives of two characters instead of the many more that Guy Ritchie tends to work with, Revolver still manages to find away to make itself confusing. The decrease in relevant characters means that the narrative is a very slow-moving one and the lack of humour makes it droll to have to sit through. Instead, Revolver offers a large quantity of arbitrary supporting characters who all make mediocre contributions to the story with relevance small enough that it isn't worth following yet large enough that keeping up with it all is confusing. The story insists on moving very slowly which prevents any exhilaration from joining the mood of the film, leaving it as a numb and un-involving story which is hard to care about, leaving me spending more time looking at the clock waiting for the film to be over.
Since the film has a weak story and a formulaic style about it, the only hope left comes from the screenplay. Unfortunately, Guy Ritchie's tendency to make innovative conversation comes into conflict with Luc Besson's conventions as a heavil generic filmmaker. The story is so firmly rooted in a predictable path that instead of attempting to be innovative through characters it does so through all kinds of plot twists which do nothing but confuse what is a very basic story arc. And since the film is slow, there is no action to distract from it. Yet you would hope that there was some level of creativity in the film as a Guy Ritchie piece. Unfortunately, this is one better left off his resume as any no-name filmmaker could claim to have directed this film and it would have made more sense. The man is an experienced filmmaker, but Revolver serves as an exercize in luddism for him. Revolver ends up being a crime thriller bereft of crime, thrills or the man's iconic touch of rich atmosphere or strong action, and so the only questions viewers are likely to be left asking when attempting to keep up with the convoluted narrative is "What's the point?".
Even the presence of Jason Statham cannot save Revolver. As much as Jason Statham has worked well with Guy Ritchie in the past, he normally is the standout of a large ensemble of talented cast members. In Revolver however, he is stuck with the duty of actively headlining the film without being given a script that he can do anything with. He doesn't have room to make viewers laugh or to get trigger happy, leaving him condemned to play a legitimate dramatic role in a film which cannot do anything with his talents. Jason Statham has to spend most of the film staring blankly at something while delivering an internal monologue, forcing him into a role plagued by restraint instead of intensity. He has little to say, and even his montonous line delivery fails to be a novelty in a film which drags him through miles of slow territory without a foreseeable payoff. Jason Statham's presence is a failed attempt to capitalize on his new level of international recognition as the start of the Transporter films, and despite working with Luc Besson again this time, the material is not up to his standard on any level.
Even Ray Liotta has little to do. Ray Liotta is one of those actors who plays the same kind of character in every film because he does it well, and yet Revolver fails to supply him with material half-decent enough to let his instinctive juices flow. Bereft of a character who is intimidating or original in the slightest, Ray Liotta dwindles in the powerless atmosphere of Revolver like everyone else. It is depressing to watch because the talented actor looks genuinely confused much of the time and constipated at others. Ray Liotta is the kind of cast member who is not difficult to capitalize on, but Revolver manages to mess it up somehow. Ray Liotta fails to make an impression as the antagonist in Revolver, so it is the first time I can honestly say that he is not a genial presence within a crime film.
Andre Benjamin is the only cast member to take a stand in Revolver. In one of his earliest film roles, Andre Benjamin is able to embrace the overly talkative nature of the film. He articulates his words with sophistication and intensity along the lines of Denzel Washington, maintaining a charming edge to the character so consistently without ever stepping out of the part. He approaches the role with a sense of focus on genuinely convincing the other characters that he has some genuine level of power about him, and the fact that he doesn't step out of this state of mind the entire time is a powerful exercize in consistency which is more than I can say about anything else in Revolver. Andre Benjamin's supporting effort in Revolver is the best part of the film.

So despite boasting a talented group of actors and Guy Ritchie director, Revolver ends up being an overly familiar film which still manages to make itself confusing while maintaining a dreadfully slow pace, leaving viewers wondering why they should care enough to follow it.
½ August 23, 2015
Not up to Lock or Snatch but better than most critics credit it for.
August 18, 2015
With a very interesting story and great visual style, but with a convoluted narrative and unbalanced pace, Revolver tends to miss its point as it tries to balance techincal aspects with ideas that dont ussually work very well.