Salaam Bombay! Reviews

• Jun 16, 2020

Had this in my DVD stack for ages; glad lockdown gave me a chance to watch. The real-life locations are great and the child actors are very natural. Would like to hope the situation for the street children is better today.

• Mar 30, 2020

Masterpiece of Bollywood

Masterpiece of Bollywood

• Dec 30, 2018

Awesome movie! Much better than the trash film Slumdog Millionaire.

Awesome movie! Much better than the trash film Slumdog Millionaire.

• Mar 30, 2016

Rarely has been captured the emotions of a child so real on film and for that Mira Nair, hats off!

• Oct 24, 2015

another tale of a street kid in the slums od Bombay (Mumbai)

another tale of a street kid in the slums od Bombay (Mumbai)

• Aug 09, 2015

Transcend yourself into one of the rare and most bitter cinematic experiences of all time.

• Dec 13, 2014

A fabulous insight into lives of street children in Mumbai. Great to watch even so many years after release. Amazing acting with great direction and editing. A must watch and one of the gems of Indian cinema.

• Oct 10, 2013

Mira Nair 's best work- She could not create anything better than this after.

Mira Nair 's best work- She could not create anything better than this after.

• Jun 18, 2013

While it can be considered a documentary disguised as drama with probably a cause coated around with sugar, I would primarily like to see it as just another piece of storytelling on the screen. A fictional drama, because that is what it is, and that is how it should be considered. The sheer brilliance of the visual storytelling of Salaam Bombay! strikes you, as does the brilliant performances of its otherwise amateur actors, with the exception of the professional mastery of Raghubir Yadav, Anita Kanwar and Nana Patekar. Truly capturing the life on the streets and the darkness of life, this film can deliver the ultimate push of inspiration into the wilderness that an aspiring film would need. Mira Nayar truly creates a majestic impression and I would be delightfully surprised if she can ever raise the bar of her work than what she has achieved with Salaam Bombay. With the passionate and well chosen score by L. Subramaniam, cinema doesn't get better than this. One of the best films you would ever watch. My logline: Circumstances forsake an abandoned child to the city of Bombay, where he finds and loses love, his innocence and himself. My tagline: Hell is a place on earth.

• Apr 30, 2013

From thieves to drug peddlers, the film chronicles the life of children living on Mumbai streets. Directed by Mira Nair, this Hindi film went on to win many awards at global film festivals.