Secondhand Lions Reviews

• Sep 08, 2019

Probably one of the greatest movies ever made

Probably one of the greatest movies ever made

• Aug 18, 2019

There's a lot you can take away from this movie and apply to life. If for nothing else you should watch this movie to hear Hub give "the speech".

• Jul 30, 2019

A tender look at maturity and the value of aging. Tim McCanlies' coming of age comedy-drama Secondhand Lions (2003) is a warm family film that will make children feel like they are understood and rekindle adults' passion for living. The story is essentially a fantasy, but it's emotionally grounded in reality. You care about Walter as he is just a shy boy trying to get by with a horrid mother. You sympathize with the elderly leads as their plight is relatable. They do not fear dying, but the lack of ability and energy that comes with age. Secondhand Lions is simply a universal about the importance of virtues and bravery. Haley Joel Osment's performance as young Walter is very impressive. He portrays a lonely boy abandoned by his negligent mother, played by the perfectly devious Kyra Sedgwick. Osment captures the forlorn depression of isolation, fear of strangers, anxiety to speak out, and the courage to defend himself. His emotional openness towards Michael Caine on the porch, Robert Duvall by the pond, and his mother on the bridge is spectacular. Osment is remarkable in Secondhand Lions. Michael Caine plays Walter's Uncle Garth, who is quiet and clever. His kindly persona is so warm and inviting like he is the encouraging and supportive uncle you have always wanted. Likewise, Robert Duvall is incredible as Uncle Hub, who grows closer to Walter and protective of him. His performance as an exponentially frail man devastated by the death of his love is astounding. His dramatic moments are just as gripping as his comedic jokes. Speaking of humor, Secondhand Lions has many jokes to love. From the uncles firing actual shotguns as travelling salesmen to the many cute dogs running to Walter's side, Secondhand Lions is sure to delight children and parents alike. The campy tone of the comedy does not work as well as the sincere dramatic moments of clarity. However, Secondhand Lions keeps you laughing and crying or bracing for the next emotional sequence. Josh Lucas is splendid as the older Walter as in his brief appearance he captures Osment's childlike wonder and love for the uncles that raised him. The rising score to Secondhand Lions brings out a warmth and spirit that surrounds the film always. My only gripe with this film is that despite the profound life lessons, moving family drama, silly jokes, and deep character arcs, Secondhand Lions relies on flashbacks to over the top adventure that feel far more campy than the rest of the film. Secondhand Lions plays up the nonsense and spoof like nature of these story passages like they are making fun of Indiana Jones more than telling their own story. They also go on for too long and slow the movie down a bit. In short, Secondhand Lions features adorable dogs who befriend a pig and a lion. Similar to the young boy, who empathizes with his elderly uncles. The power of Secondhand Lions is in the emotional performances that still hit me hard at points.

• Jun 23, 2019

This movie means so much to me! The rich story telling & bigger than life characters remind me of my grandfather & times gone by! It's also the only movie I ever watched with my grandfather. He was 90 at the time & got such a kick out of it! He was just like Hub! Such a great man! I just shared it with my boys tonight & they loved it too! What a treasure!

• May 27, 2019

Enjoyable but has no point.

Enjoyable but has no point.

• May 07, 2019

The poor ratings for this movie reveal more about the critics, than the movie. If you had men in your family that had personality, and you liked your childhood you will love this movie. It's a drama, comedy so you have to suspend reality a little. It's not a documentary.

• May 04, 2019

Two hours of pure pleasure. This one I will watch again and again.

Two hours of pure pleasure. This one I will watch again and again.

• Apr 19, 2019

This movie pulls at everyone's heartstrings. Amazing cast and overall plot. I am happy to say that I have shown this movie to a diverse group of people and everyone loves it: sometimes begrudgingly. Watch and enjoy!!!

• Mar 31, 2019

A wholehearted movie that Michael Caine, Robert Duvall and Haley Joel Osment work really well in. In the beginning you quickly hate Kyra Sedgwick's character because she dumps off her son Walter just to find his uncles money and has no other purpose being there. He does not want to be there and is terrified of his uncles but he grows a friendship with the two and they become the parents that he never had. In the end the uncles appreciate their nephew and treats him like a son that the two never had.