The Seven Year Itch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Seven Year Itch Reviews

July 12, 2017
Does that guy never shut up!!
Really got fed up of hearing him after hour or so!!

But marylin Monroe is really pretty in it
March 20, 2017
Pretty annoying at times due to Tom Ewell?s paranoid performance, it's only ever watch able for Marilyn and 'that dress'
½ March 14, 2017
Wilder is on the edge of the fourth wall, he's reaching his hand out and touching the audience, particularly poking and prodding at men and their way of thinking. The spoof of From Here to Eternity, Helen's reference to his dreaming in Cinemascope and stereophonic sound, his delusions of grandeur, every bit of what he says talking to himself, narrating what a man's inner voice is like.
He's so on the edge of this fourth wall he even breaks it when McKenzie arrives and asks who the blonde in the kitchen is, to which Sherman replies, "who knows? Maybe it's Marilyn Monroe!" Wilder's not being shy here, he's telling you that he's got you grasped by the balls, no secret.

Sherman is a man absolutely, dangerously, and hilariously convinced by his delusions.

Alfred Newman's ominous, meddling score over Sherman's paranoid ramblings are so imbued with classic disharmony that I can't help but lose my breath laughing. Mix that with Young Frankenstein-like elongated "hhhhmmmmmm" groans coming from Sherman and this makes for a fine soundtrack.

Why does it seem like everyone is anxious to be in an affair? Am I the only decent man? My boss. My Mr. Fix It. The men at the train station chasing the blonde. This must be what Sherman is thinking.

I wish we got to see more, it needed to be about 6 minutes longer. Two scenes with McKenzie wasn't enough, we needed one more to round him out. He brought this big burly clean cut charisma to the film that just one more scene, another daydream, would've benefitted. I'd like to see the reality of his wife once more, since we only saw her in reality once, and the rest was heightened delusion. It would've been nice to see how the real person turned out, and to have Sherman face her. Had she never started on screen, this conclusion would be more sensible. But the fact is she was there from the get go.

Stairs to nowhere is a brilliant device. First, it's an oddity, the kind of thing you find at the Winchester Mansion in California, where ghosts dwell. And how it's used is eerily similar, Monroe appears glowing down the stairs, having figured a way to his apartment from upstairs so they don't get caught by neighbors. Was there a hatch to another floor before? Is this real? Certainly we've gotten enough of Sherman's overactive imagination to believe that's all this is, another fantasy. But the next morning we find him on the couch, after a night full of paddle-wrapping, and suspensefully wait to see if he's simply there because he worked too hard, or because that other person is in his bed. The answer is not disappointing.

Paddle is another brilliant symbol. It's like he's rowing against the current that's inevitably leading towards making it with Monroe, which is actually seeming like a possibility as she further advances towards him. Can he possibly steer the other way, against all forces - his attraction, his boss, his love of freedom from family - to make it back to his family and resist Monroe? The paddle gives him a simultaneous obstacle and objective, the form changes. At first an obstacle, this extra bit of weight to carry around - I burst out laughing when he hit the fan on his way out of the diner. But when he learns his son can't join the others rowing, he has the goal of getting it to him, which is then met with another obstacle in wrapping it. Just like tides themselves, the nature of the paddle ebbs and flows between obstacle and objective, until finally he decides that delivering it himself will reunite him with his family and keep him from infidelity.

It hurts to speak positively of something it's maker is ashamed of. It's the guilt of enjoying Spartacus, while at the same time being aware that it's not fully a Kubrick film, and that in his total control it'd probably be better. But with Seven Year Itch, I wholeheartedly disagree with Billy Wilder's disownership of the film. Wilder disowned it because it didn't follow the original play in which he has the affair; Twentieth Century Fox wouldn't let it roll that way. I think that's too dark a road, it takes away the playfulness, skirting around the edge of danger like a cat. It's frustrating Wilder takes this position and cannot see the right pieces fell in place. Isn't it enough that Sherman defied Helen by smoking and drinking? What does going all the way accomplish? Even Kubrick steered from having Bill Hartford fall into an adulterous affair in the far steamier, erotic Eyes Wide Shut. There's something about forces of nature vs man's intention that are way more interesting, as is the case in EWS and accidentally SYI. Wilder must've embraced the genius of it to some degree, because he went ahead shooting a nearly perfect picture. Every bit of this film is spot on, no wasted film - I just about laughed the whole way through, and it was contextual humor, not like that wordy crap we have to endure today.

I love Tom Ewell. He made a short film with Alfred Hitchcock called The Strange Case of Mr. Pelham, which many years ago inspired a story of mine. I distinctly noted that the adaptation only worked because of Ewell; what he naturally brings tells a tenfold story that'd otherwise take a chapter of a book to unfold - casting Ewell cuts all that time. In that way I've related him to Elisha Cook, someone who already brings a story to their presence and is not just a blank chunk of clay. Hollywood doesn't think of these types anymore, we'd either get a Hemsworth or a Kevin James, nothing subtle in between to make us question the ability of the character to have affairs with attractive women - it would be overplayed as either a stud or a fat mess. The look in his eyes as he tells himself, ""oh no, not me, not me," every married man is looking back and thinking, "you would if you could." We all know what the opportunity is awaiting him. We're forced to identify with him, could we possible let an opportunity like that go? For what sane reason? Who cares how the wife feels? She should be proud of me if I can get that! Especially if Helen thinks I am beneath the danger of sexual prowess, that I'm uninteresting to women. There's an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond like this where his wife isn't the least bit concerned about his having an affair and it upsets him because he realizes this is her way of saying he's not that capable.

I've been trying to decipher the meaning of Saul Bass' whimsical titles

Parallel shot between native ancestors and modern man, letting their families off for summer vacation as a beauty sweeps past, stealing their attention. Seeing Natives to open the film not only makes this more inviting to a wider audience, giving a needed color and flavor to romantic comedies we don't usually get, but it makes a broader point about human behavior, and this actual psychological point about a seven year itch, which is not exclusive to Richard Sherman.
5 min - Beauty in a green & white dress walks by, and the men are taken. It's at this point Wilder establishes who Richard Sherman is and what forces of nature within himself he's fighting. He's just as enthused and drawn to the women as the men are, but he's the only one who stops and changes his demeanor. "Oh no, not me" reaches for a cigarette but stops, "and I'm not gonna smoke either" - he wants to be the model of the good husband. And then he suddenly becomes the judge of behavior that had momentarily overtaken him, "look at them, isn't that awful? Train's not even out of the station yet." I love that delivery. Nevertheless, he feels the heat and tension, and it's not just in the air, patting himself with a towel, "man is this hot!" It sure is. Newman's brassy musical cue is spot on.
½ February 11, 2017
Not vintage Wilder, but even good Wilder is better than most.
February 7, 2017
I love this movie. I watched it for, probably, the sixth or seventh time a few days ago. I still laughed all the way through it. I read that Billy Wilder, the co-writer and director, was disappointed with the movie, saying that he was straightjacketed by censorship rules of the fifties. He said that, without a sexual affair, there's nothing. I totally disagree. Richard Sherman would have lost the sympathy of the audience had he cheated on his wife. The fact that, after his speech on how they shouldn't try to fight their attraction to each other, he was taken aback when the girl suggested she stay overnight, showed his ambivalence. He still loved his wife. If he had acted, I would have lost my warm, fuzzy feeling for this film.
½ February 7, 2017
Iconic imagery aside, the movie itself is quite funny despite the fact that it's a somewhat neutered version of Axelrod's play.
February 7, 2017
Billy Wilder's charming comedy about male repression remains one of Hollywood's most iconic feel-good movies.
½ January 10, 2017
cliché, somewhat silly, but its kind of deeper than an unconventional romance; it represents the nerdy American Male before most films were doing it, women's outlook on love, and the archetype of the male brain in many different ways.
½ December 25, 2016
The Seven Year Itch is one of those movies that were very contemporary for its time, but are now obviously immensely dated. The film features good performances, a solid relationship between the two stars and is quite funny and charming at times, but it is more annoying than funny with a protagonist that becomes more and more annoying as the film progresses. The movie also should have focused entirely on the two, it should have had a theatrical approach in its production with less characters and the imagination sequences were overly abundant. It is in the end solid and amusing, but a giant mess nonetheless.
½ December 23, 2016
An insufferable comedy whose sense of humor is tremendously unfunny and obvious while Ewell is unbearable with his expository babbling and his character's stupid imagination - and the movie would have never become a classic if it weren't for that one famous scene only.
December 8, 2016
This is still really old-timey and some of it's awful (the brown face in the superfluous opening scene about native americans for example), and the characters are so bizarre. But still, this one was reasonably enjoyable.
½ November 20, 2016
A lustful essence. There was nothing funny about it. Poor acting from Marilyn Monroe. (First and only full viewing - 10/26/2012)
½ August 19, 2016
Billy Wilder made some of the greatest films of all time, and most of them hold up to this day. Sadly, I don't believe The Seven Year Itch is one of them. It's fun, lighthearted, and has the benefit of Monroe's charm, but it's much more dated than Wilder's other ventures.

Tom Ewell and Marilyn Monroe star in a film about men who send their wives and children off to Maine for the hot New York Summer while they fill their minds with ideas of adultery and temptation. At its core, it's a dated premise. This type of film would not be greenlighted in today's Hollywood, especially with its treatment of women. With that said, the dated humor sometimes can work to its benefit and add to its charm. But other times, it can be cringe worthy.

There really isn't a whole lot of depth to this story. Knowing how great Wilder can be, it more or less just seems like he went through the motions with this comedy. It's filmed in mostly one location and doesn't have any rounded out supporting characters like Sabrina or Sunset Boulevard do. The script is also exposition heavy with a semi-neurotic performance from Ewell. It reminded me a lot like Martin Freeman's turn in the Fargo TV series. A man desperately wanting to be cared for and appreciated, but he turns to irrational ways of producing it.

The Seven Year Itch is very much a product of 1950's Hollywood. Women weren't given great roles, and so the prototypical 'dumb blonde' gig that Monroe gets here isn't all that surprising. So looking back, you can certainly appreciate the alluring role and film for what it is, but its ideas and themes don't hold up well at all.

+Monroe's charm

+Goofy sense of humor

-Very dated

-Doesn't have Wilder's usual wit

7.2/10
½ July 31, 2016
A classic, and one of Marilyn's best.
June 26, 2016
Richard Sherman (Ewell) is taking a gigantic breath of relief after sending his wife (Keyes) and son off to the country for the summer. He can now take a break from all the nagging, all the whining, and all the pressure. But that's interrupted when a sexy blonde (Monroe) moves in upstairs, and she's wanting to make friends. She's sweet and naive, but Sherman wants to itch the seven-year itch-- and she seems like the right one to scratch. Every step of the way he feels guilty, and it eventually drives him mad. "The Seven Year Itch" to most is known as the movie when sex bomb Marilyn Monroe stood over an air vent and her pretty white dress flew up. Unfortunately that's ALL most people remember it for, but in fact it's actually one of those classic comedies that still brings a smile to your face. No, you shouldn't be expecting any belly laughs here, but come on it's the '50's-- smiling is just good enough. "The Seven Year Itch" is charming and silly, and doesn't disappoint. I'll admit, Tom Ewell is a pretty darn annoying leading man (this role should've gone to a more classy actor such as Cary Grant or Dean Martin), but Marilyn Monroe is so good here that she makes the four stars for. Billy Wilder's script is sharp, and isn't bad-- but Ewell delivers his with a drag, giving a highly irritating performance. Monroe on the other hand, seems to know the dizzy bombshell she's portraying, and creates a woman that only exists in your fantasies. We all know she isn't really a skilled actress-- but she's a professional at acting sexy, and she does that perfectly here. "The Seven Year Itch" is slightly overrated, but Marilyn Monroe makes it worth seeing. 100%
½ June 19, 2016
Monogamous fidelity is a neurotic condition leading the overly imaginative into psychotic breaks with reality.
June 9, 2016
A ditz but wow was she easy on the eyes
June 4, 2016
The Seven Year Itch (1955) C-105m. When his family goes away for the summer, a so far faithful husband is tempted by a beautiful neighbor. Enjoyable comedy, but t lacks the power and punch of the director's best films; there are moments of truth and perception however and the stars are delightful.
April 29, 2016
Well, after seeing this I can certainly see why Marilyn Moore is held in such high regard. In the words of Bart Simpson, 'aye carumba!' With the iconic white dress scene over the subway grate(classic movie moment), this was pretty good stuff.. much better than any romcoms that movie studios put in the theaters these days.
½ April 25, 2016
Some decent performances revolve around the almost silly tale. Monroe is flawless as the ditsy blonde neighbour who is the fantasy girl for the lead, Tom Ewell, a man bored with married life. Its a simple story, well told and fun.
Resonant Line: "The Girl: When it gets hot like this, you know what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"