Smokey and the Bandit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smokey and the Bandit Reviews

½ February 14, 2018
Really entertaining movie about a guy who wagers he can drive across country in a certain amount of time. He's chased by a really old school funny cop played by Jackie Gleason. Some of the best characters in movie history. One of the best movies.
January 26, 2018
Man Sally Field was so cute back then! A humble 5 * Classic.
½ December 26, 2017
Fun to watch. A must see if you are a fan of the genre or the era.
December 9, 2017
Me and my dad love this movie, it never gets old!!!! It gets me every time, I loveeeeee it!!!
November 19, 2017
An unashamedly popcorn film that was made fun & laughs. The story of a two jobless blokes who decide to pick up illegal liquor from the other side of America under a crazy tight time schedule that forces them to speed.

One drives the truck the other a sports car & quite quickly gain police attention & runaway bride (Sally Field).

Fun, fast & made for laughs, this is easy watching & really brought the world's attention to Burt Reynolds & Sally Field.
October 20, 2017
The best Southern style film I've ever seen. It's so much fun and so memorable. Sheriff Buford T. Justice is one of the best... so damn funny!
August 12, 2017
We could use more road movies like this.
August 10, 2017
This isn't very memorable. At least it had Sally Field.
½ July 12, 2017
Man, I love this movie. It just never gets old. Barebones plot, with endlessly entertaining execution. Sally Field is adorable.
½ July 9, 2017
Though not the best (though neither the worst) car chase film from the seventies to have influenced Baby Driver this film mostly works thanks to a solid cast, great action with believable stunts, a good score/soundtrack and a few laughs. I also like the choice of car for Bandit though in reality it wouldn't be all that capable of evading police due to being slow which is why the footage is sped up in parts that involve Bandit's car.
½ June 24, 2017
Jackie Gleason's greatest role, behind The Honeymooners.
EAST BOUND AND DOWN, BABY! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
June 13, 2017
6/13/2017 (2): A classic flick!
June 6, 2017
love Burt Reynolds and Sally Field
crazy car chases mixed with soft romance and laughs
Smokey becomes a celebrity as far as high-speed chases are concerned
it's the most fun way to escape and make a profit
May 30, 2017
I can't even begin to sit here and defend this movie. Like a lot of people, I grew up watching this movie on TV and VHS. It's definitely not a masterpiece, but yet, it is on its own terms (especially when you look at the bile-inducing sequels). Smokey and the Bandit is, to me at least, the greatest guilty pleasure of all time. Anyone that says that they hate this movie and they mean it, well I don't try to continue having a conversation with them. This is just pure fun, and that's all there really is to it. The plot is full of holes, the sound work is full of obvious overdubs and the performances aren't all that great at times. The one performance that still stands out to this day is Jackie Gleason's Buford T. Justice, which he should've been nominated for an Oscar for. I'm not quite sure why this movie's appeal has lasted over the course of the last 35 years, but one thing's for sure: this will continue to be watched on late night TV until the end of the world.
½ May 24, 2017
9 out of 10:

It's story might not be all that compelling but the flaws are overtaken by fast paced action, funny humor, and a likable protagonist.
April 28, 2017
I could never understand why the beer was illegal, isn't beer legal everywhere?
½ January 1, 2017
Mildly enjoyable, but I don't really get what the fuss is about.
December 16, 2016
Love it. No more comments. I love it.
½ October 2, 2016
Fun, but dated. Plenty of good chases, just not as many as would be expected in the current era. Sally Field was incredible, I can't believe how she is still acting today with such success.
The country songs (as performed by the actor who played Cletus, no less) are a true set of classics, and will always be remembered as trucking anthems.
Watched on Netflix at home, October 2, 2016.
½ October 1, 2016
Still a funny movie, but terribly dated.