Smokey and the Bandit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smokey and the Bandit Reviews

½ July 12, 2017
Man, I love this movie. It just never gets old. Barebones plot, with endlessly entertaining execution. Sally Field is adorable.
½ July 9, 2017
Though not the best (though neither the worst) car chase film from the seventies to have influenced Baby Driver this film mostly works thanks to a solid cast, great action with believable stunts, a good score/soundtrack and a few laughs. I also like the choice of car for Bandit though in reality it wouldn't be all that capable of evading police due to being slow which is why the footage is sped up in parts that involve Bandit's car.
½ June 24, 2017
Jackie Gleason's greatest role, behind The Honeymooners.
EAST BOUND AND DOWN, BABY! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
June 13, 2017
6/13/2017 (2): A classic flick!
June 6, 2017
love Burt Reynolds and Sally Field
crazy car chases mixed with soft romance and laughs
Smokey becomes a celebrity as far as high-speed chases are concerned
it's the most fun way to escape and make a profit
May 30, 2017
I can't even begin to sit here and defend this movie. Like a lot of people, I grew up watching this movie on TV and VHS. It's definitely not a masterpiece, but yet, it is on its own terms (especially when you look at the bile-inducing sequels). Smokey and the Bandit is, to me at least, the greatest guilty pleasure of all time. Anyone that says that they hate this movie and they mean it, well I don't try to continue having a conversation with them. This is just pure fun, and that's all there really is to it. The plot is full of holes, the sound work is full of obvious overdubs and the performances aren't all that great at times. The one performance that still stands out to this day is Jackie Gleason's Buford T. Justice, which he should've been nominated for an Oscar for. I'm not quite sure why this movie's appeal has lasted over the course of the last 35 years, but one thing's for sure: this will continue to be watched on late night TV until the end of the world.
½ May 24, 2017
9 out of 10:

It's story might not be all that compelling but the flaws are overtaken by fast paced action, funny humor, and a likable protagonist.
April 28, 2017
I could never understand why the beer was illegal, isn't beer legal everywhere?
½ April 10, 2017
Really entertaining movie about a guy who wagers he can drive across country in a certain amount of time. He's chased by a really old school funny cop played by Jackie Gleason. Some of the best characters in movie history. One of the best movies before Burt Reynolds' ego made him an ass.
½ January 1, 2017
Mildly enjoyable, but I don't really get what the fuss is about.
December 16, 2016
Love it. No more comments. I love it.
½ October 2, 2016
Fun, but dated. Plenty of good chases, just not as many as would be expected in the current era. Sally Field was incredible, I can't believe how she is still acting today with such success.
The country songs (as performed by the actor who played Cletus, no less) are a true set of classics, and will always be remembered as trucking anthems.
Watched on Netflix at home, October 2, 2016.
½ October 1, 2016
Still a funny movie, but terribly dated.
September 3, 2016
Me being a person that doesn't speed, never breaks the law and have no desire to own a fast car, this film is one of my favorites. I very rarely give a film 5 stars and this movie is one reason why.
August 29, 2016
There's a comfort in watching a movie in which you know nothing bad is ever gonna happen. But what puts this one in an upper level of re-watchability is its unexpectedly great dialogue...I could watch Reynolds and dat stache quip all day long. Delightful and endlessly fun 70s pulp, full of fun car stuff and heaping amounts of LOL stupidity.
½ August 12, 2016
Cinta que retrata la época de autos corriendo combinados con comedia gringa. La película tiene romance, comedia (muy gringa por cierto), peleas y carreras de autos. Es una excelente película para su época y no le pide nada a las nuevas. Tiene sus propios sellos, una banda musical de country excelente orquestada por uno de sus protagonistas. Muy probablemente de aquí tomen elementos para otras series de películas así como series televisivas como Los Duques de Hazzard o Los Duques del Peligro, como fuera que las hayan conocido, así como carrera de locos (Cannonball Run) con el propio Reynolds y en donde debutara Jackie Chan. El malo de la cinta, que curiosamente no podría decirse si es un villano ya que trabaja para el lado de la ley, es un ícono de la cultura gringa. Divertida para quien tenga humor de estas cintas y quiera conocer a una joven y guapa Sally Field antes de que fuera la tía de Spider-Man o fuera reemplazada por las actuales jóvenes muestra trasero de estas épocas.
July 6, 2016
Had to see the classic.
½ July 4, 2016
This film made Trans-Am sales go up tenfold (as well as speeding ticket revenues). Lampoonish plot makes for a fun ride and is culturally significant.
½ April 13, 2016
A classic of the auto-smashup genre, with about as much depth and thought as an episode of The Dukes of Hazzard. And that's totally okay by me, as that's basically the name of the game with this type of film: enjoy the mayhem and try not to overthink anything. Burt Reynolds is at his laid-back best as a legendary bootlegger, coolly skirting the law and forging new trails in his mighty Trans Am, kicking up his feet to casually go with the flow around every obstacle. He makes the whole thing work, really, and the cavalier air of confidence he exudes soon rubs off on the rest of the cast. Jackie Gleason is loads of fun as his nemesis, a particularly persistent Texas sheriff, but he can also fly way off the handle, chewing up scenery like a tacky cartoon character. The driving is great, inventive to the end, and the carnage is satisfying without being mean-spirited. A good flick to throw on whenever you've got a spare hour to fill, though it's better if it doesn't get your undivided attention.
January 20, 2016
There's not much to the story, but who cares? This is such a fun, sexy hoot that you don't need much of an excuse to watch Burt Reynolds take Sally Field for the ride of her life in his Pontiac Trans-Am. And Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice is about as funny a performance as you'll ever find in a movie.