Sukai Kurora (The Sky Crawlers) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sukai Kurora (The Sky Crawlers) Reviews

½ January 21, 2018
Painfully slow with a poorly constructed, confusing story that fails to explain so many things, and characters that are as mind-bogglingly bland as the world-design, 'Sky Crawlers' is not going to go down as Oshii's best work, I think that much is certain. With a narrative that involves war and planes, you might think that there would be some redeeming factor in the dogfights, but no, those are far and few between and not particularly impressive. There seems to be a good story in there somewhere, maybe even a great one, but boy, did they ever mess this one up. And worst of all, once the credits roll, you realise that there doesn't really seem to be a point to any of it at all.
January 14, 2018
Futuristic and retro. Modern and vintage. Intriguing movie, excellent for war movie fans!
August 14, 2017
The movie is extremely well done, with very well done combination of CGI and classic anime animation. I need to point out that Sony gave the false impression that this was an action packed film filled with dogfights and explosions. However this is not that type of movie; this movie's overall tone is sombre, slow and philosophical. Whilst the flying scenes are mesmerizing, be prepared to sit through many slow paced scenes throughout the majority of the movie, which is done on purpose and is integral to the story and message.
½ June 6, 2017
I have not been so bored since I tried to watch one of those Kirk Cameron bible-drama movies. I am the kind of guy that can fun at the DMV. I am the kind of guy that can get fascinated by paint drying. I am the kind of guy that can write poetry about the grass that I am watching growing while conversing with a tortoise. THIS IS DULL! DULL DULL DULL!!!!
January 19, 2016
It's a really good idea, but it's sorely lacking a pulse.
August 8, 2014
Guard: "She's so immature. This is the problem with children. Oh, no offense meant."
Yuichi Kannami (Ryō Kase): "No, you're right. But do people who might die tomorrow have any need to grow up?"

You need two things when watching this film: (1) a nice, large t.v. or computer. I watched this on a 27" iMAC and the graphics were visually stunning. I even got a little dizzy during the flying sequences. This, hands-down is one of the most beautifully rendered films I have ever seen. There was a sequence where Yuichi was flying in a rainstorm that was just so photograph-crisp, I could have sworn it was real. This film was visually amazing. Although, I thought it was kind of strange to render the background in 3D while the characters were rendered in traditional 2D animation, but it kind of quirky so I liked it.
The second thing is: patience. The story was a bit confusing, cloaked deep in mystery which basically remains unresolved until about 20 minutes before the end of this two-hour long film. Truthfully though, the story was interesting-- another one of those morality-issues that Anime films do so well; definitely a thought provoking film. However, the pacing of the film really bothered me. It was a little bit awkwardly paced. It would get into a comfortable rhythm and then the story kind of hits a hiccup and completely takes you out of the film again. It relied too much on too many dramatic pauses, which would have heightened the gravity of the situation; that is, if it was used sparingly. But in this instance, only served to slow down the film and made the pacing too choppy. All the long pauses just came across as more strange and less dramatic; It was really distracting. Overall, the film was okay-- the graphics were superb, the story was decent but glacial pacing made watching this film a bit too tedious for my taste. It's worth watching once, but I doubt if I'll voluntarily watch it again.
July 23, 2014
The few aerial action scenes were pretty spectacular. However they're not in anyway worth sitting through this films' boring plot and slow pace.
April 17, 2014
Oshii's style is really badly suited to this story. It's about a bunch of fighter pilots; apart from a couple of scenes where characters wonder about their mortality, there's not much in the way of potential for philosophical implications. But they still stare off into the distance and refuse to make eye contact, because that's just how Oshii characters behave. Outside of the few action scenes and a bit towards the end, I found this alternately boring and irritating.
½ March 24, 2014
More of a perspective on the morality of imposed immortality than a action packed steam of dog fights, the simplicity and seeminly emotionless characters contrast well with the explosive confrontations.
½ February 2, 2014
Love it! Music is amazing!
November 30, 2013
The aerial action has been carefully crafted for excitement and offer impressive scenes of skylines full of fighter planes: the mix of CGI and 2D animation give depth and a gloss that would make Michael Bay proud.
½ November 28, 2013
A very interesting sic-fi movie that serves not only as a high quality manga adaptation.
October 16, 2013
The animation is awesome and beautiful but the story and plot, as in last I.G. productions I've seen, is overcooked in a intent to be deeper than it actually is.
August 11, 2013
Super disappointed in this one. First off it's got next to nothing in action and is really just an anime drama. The film moves at a snails pace and is about a group of fighter pilots in the future fighting against another country. There's a lot of information thrown all at once and the plot is really a bit confusing. I enjoyed the action sequences (when it happened), but really didn't care for the card board characters. If definitely say skip it!
½ August 1, 2013
Spectacular aerial battles, snail paced character scenes. An interesting mix that generally works.
July 15, 2013
Beautiful animation. Rather disappointing story-line. Great character development.
June 7, 2013
A beautifully animated and written film. It is one of those films you have to watch twice to realize what's going on, but it is worth it.
June 3, 2013
The visual is incredible. The story terrible.
May 22, 2013
It had great animation an interesting story kind of hard to understand and keep up with but all around great anime
March 31, 2013
One of the best works of mamoru oshii, the beauty of the movie at some point is much more than his earlier works.......