Sukai Kurora (The Sky Crawlers) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sukai Kurora (The Sky Crawlers) Reviews

January 19, 2016
It's a really good idea, but it's sorely lacking a pulse.
August 8, 2014
Guard: "She's so immature. This is the problem with children. Oh, no offense meant."
Yuichi Kannami (Ryō Kase): "No, you're right. But do people who might die tomorrow have any need to grow up?"

You need two things when watching this film: (1) a nice, large t.v. or computer. I watched this on a 27" iMAC and the graphics were visually stunning. I even got a little dizzy during the flying sequences. This, hands-down is one of the most beautifully rendered films I have ever seen. There was a sequence where Yuichi was flying in a rainstorm that was just so photograph-crisp, I could have sworn it was real. This film was visually amazing. Although, I thought it was kind of strange to render the background in 3D while the characters were rendered in traditional 2D animation, but it kind of quirky so I liked it.
The second thing is: patience. The story was a bit confusing, cloaked deep in mystery which basically remains unresolved until about 20 minutes before the end of this two-hour long film. Truthfully though, the story was interesting-- another one of those morality-issues that Anime films do so well; definitely a thought provoking film. However, the pacing of the film really bothered me. It was a little bit awkwardly paced. It would get into a comfortable rhythm and then the story kind of hits a hiccup and completely takes you out of the film again. It relied too much on too many dramatic pauses, which would have heightened the gravity of the situation; that is, if it was used sparingly. But in this instance, only served to slow down the film and made the pacing too choppy. All the long pauses just came across as more strange and less dramatic; It was really distracting. Overall, the film was okay-- the graphics were superb, the story was decent but glacial pacing made watching this film a bit too tedious for my taste. It's worth watching once, but I doubt if I'll voluntarily watch it again.
July 23, 2014
The few aerial action scenes were pretty spectacular. However they're not in anyway worth sitting through this films' boring plot and slow pace.
April 17, 2014
Oshii's style is really badly suited to this story. It's about a bunch of fighter pilots; apart from a couple of scenes where characters wonder about their mortality, there's not much in the way of potential for philosophical implications. But they still stare off into the distance and refuse to make eye contact, because that's just how Oshii characters behave. Outside of the few action scenes and a bit towards the end, I found this alternately boring and irritating.
½ March 24, 2014
More of a perspective on the morality of imposed immortality than a action packed steam of dog fights, the simplicity and seeminly emotionless characters contrast well with the explosive confrontations.
½ February 2, 2014
Love it! Music is amazing!
November 30, 2013
The aerial action has been carefully crafted for excitement and offer impressive scenes of skylines full of fighter planes: the mix of CGI and 2D animation give depth and a gloss that would make Michael Bay proud.
½ November 28, 2013
A very interesting sic-fi movie that serves not only as a high quality manga adaptation.
October 16, 2013
The animation is awesome and beautiful but the story and plot, as in last I.G. productions I've seen, is overcooked in a intent to be deeper than it actually is.
August 11, 2013
Super disappointed in this one. First off it's got next to nothing in action and is really just an anime drama. The film moves at a snails pace and is about a group of fighter pilots in the future fighting against another country. There's a lot of information thrown all at once and the plot is really a bit confusing. I enjoyed the action sequences (when it happened), but really didn't care for the card board characters. If definitely say skip it!
½ August 1, 2013
Spectacular aerial battles, snail paced character scenes. An interesting mix that generally works.
July 15, 2013
Beautiful animation. Rather disappointing story-line. Great character development.
June 7, 2013
A beautifully animated and written film. It is one of those films you have to watch twice to realize what's going on, but it is worth it.
June 3, 2013
The visual is incredible. The story terrible.
May 22, 2013
It had great animation an interesting story kind of hard to understand and keep up with but all around great anime
March 31, 2013
One of the best works of mamoru oshii, the beauty of the movie at some point is much more than his earlier works.......
October 22, 2012
Aunque Sky Crawlers presenta una tecnica asombrosa en todas las secuencias con aviones, basicamente son el unico punto de interes de toda la pelicula, lo que hay entre medias puedes pasarlo facilmente, puesto es frio, inconsistente, aburrido, carente de emocion... ademas el dibujo de los personajes es tan anodino que ayuda aun mas a que no te importe un carajo las tonterias de estos teens... no obstante queda el interesante planteamiento de las empresas militares que luchan como ocio para el gran publico, y las escenas que generan que, efectivamente, es puro entretenimiento.

La peor obra de Mamoru Oshii
August 13, 2012
This feature is quite slow at times, and difficult to understand if you don't pay close enough attention. However, once you get past those factors, you can find a story that is both deep and compelling.
July 2, 2012
It's a grower. Don't expect to be blown away at first, but there's a lot to admire about it. A lot that can slowly get under your skin.
June 22, 2012
Great movie, reminded me of "Never Let Me Go" and some of the ideas from "Blade Runner".