Sukiyaki Western Django - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sukiyaki Western Django Reviews

August 12, 2015
This Japanese tribute to Spagetti Westerns set in the English language is campy, creative, gory, and self-referential and especially feels that way partly because of the presence of Quentin Tarantino.
½ July 23, 2015
Another super stylish effort from Takashi Miike, combining Yojimbo with classic westerns. It's not perfect, but it's bizarre and entertaining enough to work. [B]
½ April 15, 2015
Insanity, completely bonkers, and full of pulpy goodness
½ January 15, 2015
Its so weird and wonderful. An asian spaghetti western that draws from Tarantino in more than one way :)
½ April 24, 2014
Beautiful cinematography. That's all.
½ March 10, 2014
Turned out quite an enjoyable movie. I thought it's gonna be all weird stuff. There's that, but still in an acceptable amount. If this is what can help Tarantino do the Django Unchained, then I'll say this movie is worth an appreciation.
December 26, 2013
Miike Takashi takes on the spaghetti western and wins with this visually stunning and thoroughly enjoyable romp.
October 30, 2013
Spaghetti western made with all the new tricks of CGI. Kill Bill meets Oldboy in the the Nippon mountains. Sounds like a really bad story pitch; but it's great fun - really!
October 29, 2013
SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO is odd, visual, insane, and comedic. The film seems to be centered in a genre that was just slightly off, many couldn't get behind it. But the stilted story telling the sublime seriousness of everyone, except for a few characters, made it so much better. It's an odd spaghetti western and I loved it.
August 22, 2013
I will pass on this one.
August 19, 2013
Please do not compare this to Kill Bill or anything Quentin Tarantino has done, just because he makes small appearances in this film does not mean it's going to be good. I understood the idea of parodying american westerns but it missed the obvious recognition of a parody. I felt as if I was losing brain cells with each minute that passed, and even though there are many parodies and comedies out there, most of the ones I like are still smart comedies and this one is not.
August 14, 2013
suuuuuper disappointing.
½ July 6, 2013
this film is widely misunderstood i guess it just wasn't generic enough for the mainstream media perhaps if tom cruise brought some of his famous bad acting to the table this movie would appeal to the dull society we live in
June 19, 2013
My Favorite Western Film Is 1939's Stagecoach.
½ June 1, 2013
Love the director, hated the overdone, forced film. Terrible.
May 3, 2013
Sukiyaki Western Django, Takashi Miike's frantic swirl of a spaghetti western, marrying eastern and western elements in what could be taken as either homage or parody -- or both, feels like just an exercise well before it ends.
½ April 27, 2013
I sort of enjoyed this highly stylized Takashi Miike film, but it certainly had some rough edges. Its unique twist - a Japanese cast in an English-language Western - is also its biggest problem. Due to non-native English speakers, the dialogue is very awkward - the inflections, cadence, and pronunciation all sound stilted unnatural (with Quentin Tarantino's cameo acting being at least as bad).

I'm also a little disappointed that better use wasn't made of the Django aspect, especially the coffin. There are a couple nods, but that's it. However, there is a Japanese version of the theme song that rolls over the credits, and it sounded amazing - probably my favorite part of the whole movie.
½ April 11, 2013
A refreshing if lacking adventurous Japanese western. Mindblowingly experimental, Sukiyaki succeeds by showing genuine flashes of cinematic genius within it's woefully unnecessary runtime. Essentially this is a film with 4 or 5 beautifully correographed wonderfully camp action scenes wasted in 2 hours of needless expositionary dialogue that only serves to bore. A wasted opportunity.
garyX
½ March 29, 2013
A lone gunman rides into a small town being ravaged by a war between two rival gangs. In Japan. Yet another remake of Yojimbo (sort of!) it's more an amalgam of Yojimbo and its most celebrated cover version, A Fistful of Dollars. It's obvious why Quentin Tarantino got involved because it is EXACTLY the kind of idiosyncratic, genre-clashing cinematic remix that has become his bread and butter. Full of quirky characters, tongue in cheek humour and cartoon violence, SWD is really a super-stylized gangster movie that's both an affectionate homage and parody of the American western. Reminding me most of the post modern westerns of Robert Rodriguez and Sam Raimi's The Quick And The Dead, this semi-humorous update of a cinematic icon is also quite reminiscent of Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi. The biggest problem with it is Miike's decision to make the actors speak English; I can see why he did it, but the cast's grasp of the language is limited at best to the point where I had to switch the subtitles on (a fact that made me feel like an isolationist hick!) This obviously seriously compromises the dialogue and its delivery, which is fine during the action sequences but character driven drama goes straight out of the window. A bit like Hot Fuzz, it's probably a film that will be appreciated a lot more by an audience who get the references and if you can get past the language barrier (and I can see how some wouldn't) it's actually a lot of fun.
½ March 28, 2013
Fun - though nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.