Swordfish Reviews

• Dec 19, 2020

You know...I watch movies to be entertained. I don't watch movies to analyze characters and plotlines and be critical. This has been a fun watch several times despite the finest critical minds crucifying it over and over. The thing has a nice flow. The characters are interesting. At the end, it's always time well spent and that's what it's all about. Audience ratings are more in touch with reality. We pay the money to see the shows. The professional reviewers get it for nothing except their razor sharp, caustic remarks. These are usually predictable when the movie has been made at the cost of millions with an all-star cast. Fine. We see the glass from different angles. Just to be clear.

• Sep 17, 2020

Even Halle Berry in lingerie and some neat slow-motion action sequences that borrow heavily from The Matrix can't compensate for an out-of-place Oceans 11 twist setup and a seat-of-your-pants plot that tries to create some morally gray area but instead feels confusing and illogical. A big problem is that John Travolta simple isn't compelling or cool in the way that the film wants him to be, and films that try to capitalize on engaging antagonists ... have to have engaging antagonists. (2.5/5)

• Sep 11, 2020

Fun and entertaining flick with tons of action And a kinda interesting story that makes you wonder why it was ever written. Nevertheless still entertaining watch with all-star cast.

• Aug 31, 2020

Ridiculously plotted, loud and colorful action thriller definitely good for some laughs as the mid 90s to early 2000s was prime time for Travolta in these types of roles. 5.5/10

• Aug 22, 2020

2 bags, there's one for each of something that I can't say on here but it's the only good thing in the movie. It sucks, and honestly I just wasn't paying attention because Interview with the Vampire stuck with me, and I'm thinking "what if they did an Interview with Blade?!!!"

• May 01, 2020

I loved this movie. Travolta is Classic awesome. Hugh Jackman is just breaking out. Halle Berry great as well. Even Vinnie Jones for some comic dark eccentricities. Great soundtrack as well. This movie is an underrated novelty.

• Mar 13, 2020

An entertaining action/heist movie, as long as you are not expecting anything novel or surprising. It checks off all of the necessary boxes for a big budget without anything spectacular in direction, script or acting. There are enough car chases, explosions, nudity and gun fights to keep you entertained.

• Mar 02, 2020

Plenty of action with some witty dialogues and well-acted characters. Great entertainment for the evening!

• Feb 19, 2020

So good and Halle Bally is so hot I mean wow! Great movie lots of surprises.

So good and Halle Bally is so hot I mean wow! Great movie lots of surprises.

• Feb 17, 2020

Dated and goofy, but the acting is impressive. Dominic Sena's crime thriller Swordfish (2001) is a product of its time. The special effects are ridiculous, especially all the computer graphics for the various hacking elements. Swordfish dates itself with fat monitos, thick phones, walkmans, and any number of other silly technological timepieces. I don't even know where to begin with this movie. Sena clearly worships action thrillers and crime dramas as Swordfish pays homage and refers to many types of movies with careful consideration, all while irreverently subversing various action tropes out of love for the genre. Swordfish is a pastiche of sorts combining Heat, Scarface, Hackers, Ocean's Eleven, Run Lola Run, and Houdini. It's insane, yet entertaining all the time. Swordfish opens with an amazingly acted monologue from John Travolta that displays his phenomenal dramatic acting talent. He lambasts Hollywood films and many note of story elements audiences are looking for, all to allow Sena to subvert these aspects for his crazy finale to Swordfish. Throughout all of Swordfish, Travolta is gripping and devious with a gleeful intimidating factor. He's clearly having the time of his life playing Gabriel Shear. From that opening, you are treated to an intense bank robbery, then editor Stephen E. Rivkin cuts back to the start of the story and we see a bonkers crime narrative unfold. Rivkin's cuts could have only been acceptable work in the early 2000s, but it's pretty funny seeing such bombastic and in your face choices held up as the cutting edge style of editing at the time. At the very least, his style of cuts makes Swordfish's 99 minutes fly by quickly. Sena's direction is like a middle schooler was gifted with an unlimited budget so he gets explosions and naked women everywhere. There is anything from hostages exploding to Halle Berry topless in Swordfish. Berry is actually very fun as a sultry and seductive mistress for Travolta named Ginger Knowles. She has interesting chemistry with Hugh Jackman, who is an absurd rendition of an early 2000's computer hacker extraordinaire called Stanley Jobson. Jackman slaps several keyboards, but his best moments in Swordfish are the sincere paternal interactions with his daughter Holly played by Camryn Grimes. Don Cheadle is engaging as Agent J.T. Roberts. Sam Shepard gets a supporting role as a senator that's interesting. Vinnie Jones is as fearsome and scary as ever. Timothy Odmundson gets a quick cameo too! Skip Woods' script is terrible in its dialogue, yet often funny in how pretentious it wants to be. He is ambitious citing other action films of a higher caliber, then trying to be better than them and failing. I will give him credit as the plot is intricate, but not too convoluted to follow. Paul Cameron's cinematography has its moments of looking nice, but overall looks like shallow 2000's rave scene fodder. Christopher Young's score is exciting, yet underutilized for an action movie. In all, Swordfish is certainly terrible, but it's terrible fun to me.