Temple Grandin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Temple Grandin Reviews

July 11, 2017
An interesting movie that attempts to show the public what being inside an autistic persons mind is like.
June 26, 2017
Danes' grand solo interpretation. The integrity of her performance and clear devotion to her subject is second to none and evident in every frame.
½ June 22, 2017
"My name is Temple Grandin. I'm not like other people. I think in pictures and I connect them."
May 25, 2017
Fascinating movie! Going to see her speak on Saturday night at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO.
½ March 17, 2017
This film proves that you can make a brilliant movie even without special effects, movie stars and massive campaign. All you need is a good story and a brilliant actor or actress. Life writes the best scripts.
March 1, 2017
What a really amazing movie. Powerful, moving...I didn't expect to love this movie as much as I did. I was presently surprised at how much I learned and how much I got personally from his movie. I loved it.
February 4, 2017
Temple Grandin is directed by Mick Jackson, and it stars Claire Dines in a biopic about the life of Temple Grandin from when she was first diagnosed with autism, to when she starts having a fascination with cattle ranches and starts researching them. I come across this in agriculture class where we have to do a movie worksheet on this and fill out the chronological event questions. When the class and I start to watch it, I got interested in this movie so fast that I actually just finished watching this in my house while also filling in the answers, and end up almost done with the questions because Temple Grandin was a very unexpected film that turn out to be an amazing made-for-TV movie from HBO. This is probably the best performance that I've seen from Claire Dines because she was very convincing when she was acting differently then what I usually see her in, and doesn't get annoying which is very hard for an actor to be acting autistic and not be irritating for some viewers. You not only learn about Temple Grandin, but also the other characters that are not in it much, and also aspects of farming cattle that I haven't heard about. The writing by Christopher Monger and William Merritt Johnson is well-written that created a lot of stories from Temple's life, and they are all interesting to watch. There are a lot of good humor in it that's never to the point of making fun of autism itself, and it's interesting to see how her mind works. Temple Grandin is an amazing film that I'm glad that I got interested enough to watch this in my house.
January 16, 2017
Temple Grandin is one autistic woman's amazing story. Stars Claire Danes.

Temple Grandin's biopic depicts her childhood, school experiences, college experiences, development as a writer and designer, and how she managed to get into the male chauvinistic world of cattle operations (maybe it's not like that anymore but in this movie the cattle operations industry looks pretty chauvinistic). There are some funny moments here and there.

One of the things that makes Temple's life so interesting is the challenges of autism she struggled with throughout everything. A lot of credit seems to belong to her Harvard graduate mother, who did not take the advice of a doctor to institutionalize her nonverbal 4-year-old daughter. Instead, she worked to help her daughter learn to speak and then put her into mainstream school and then insisted she continue her education.

In college, Temple invented a device to help her cope with stress. And she conducted a study on her device. I wonder if devices like this are still being used for autistic? It appears to be hug replacement or perhaps womb simulation, since real hugs from real people were a problem for her.

The best part is how she wrangled into her career. Quite determined, once she set her mind to what she wanted to do. She moved forward with astonishing tenacity. We are told that (more humane and efficient) systems she designed are used in about half of cattle slaughterhouses in the US.
January 8, 2017
This is one of the better movies that I've seen in a very long time. I'm very grateful to have heard Temple's story. Oddly enough, I had watched a TED talk of hers, but had no idea what she had overcome in her life. I didn't even realize I had seen her presentation beforehand until I researched her after viewing the film.

I can't imagine how anybody could dislike this movie. It's inspiring and raw in a straightforward and very human way. The acting is undeniably crafty as well. I recommend this to all.

Cheers.
December 13, 2016
What a fabulous movie! Claire Danes does a superb job acting, and the movie itself is educational and inspiring. A true story about woman with high function autism, and her ability to surpass her limitations and the expectations of society, which enabled her to make meaningful impacts on the cattle industry and our understanding of autism. Especially enjoyed the experiential insight into some of the special talents and challenges experienced by those with high functioning autism.
November 27, 2016
great movie...very thought provoking. brilliant actress
November 10, 2016
The subject of this movie came to my attention twenty years ago in Oliver Sacks's fascinating profile "An Anthropologist On Mars." Grandin is an autistic woman who is unable to relate to or read the feelings of other people, yet discovered in herself a distinct affinity for cattle. She used her unusual understanding, ironically, to develop new ways of herding cattle for slaughter, in a more humane manner, and her methods are now being used in most modern abattoirs.

This is a strange subject for a movie, but director Mick Jackson expands on it to enable us to most fully empathize with Grandin, understanding her talents, her disabilities, and the ways that she learns to apply her positive skills to adapt to her weaknesses. The beauty of the piece is that it is interested in Grandin as a full woman, telling a comprehensive story of her life which focuses on her autism without reducing her to it. We learn about her early days on a ranch, where, observing how cattle are calmed in a cage that hugs them, she eventually creates a similar device for herself - and the troubles this creates when she tries building one at college.

At the center is the terrific performance of Claire Danes. We've seen her unhooked in "Homeland" when she goes off her meds, Her character is always just barely in control - integrating with society only by what she can learn consciously - not by intuition. Julia Ormond is her caring but not always understanding mom - I remember Ormond was ridiculed in her first onscreen performance in "Legends of the Fall" but she's developed really good chops over the years.
October 30, 2016
EXEPTIONAL!!
VERY EMOTIONAL!!
LOVED IT!!
October 6, 2016
Loved this inspiring movie. Great for anyone who loves someone with special needs or for anyone who has a heart really.
August 25, 2016
This one's an all star. I had put this on my watch list and kept skipping over it. I just had the feeling that the character of Temple Grandin would be hard to pull off, and because of that would be more miss than hit. But then I just happened to look up the ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and saw the 100% and 95%, so I settled in.

The film was a great combination of acting, directing, and story telling. It didn't get into the overly maudlin nor the grandiose. It was a very down-to-earth portrayal of a very gifted women looking to move forward courageously in a very confusing world.

I've seen Danes in a few movies, but never considered her a top notch actor. Well, I've found that, that's a very inaccurate appraisal. In this role she shined. She was Will Smith as Mohammed Ali. She was Jamie Fox as Ray. There WAS no Claire Danes only Temple Grandin.

I loved the story, the struggle, the challenge, the courage, the love. A most satisfying film on all levels. Yes, near perfection indeed.
August 15, 2016
I don't remember when was the last time I have rated a movie 5/5. This movie is a masterpiece and a must watch!
August 7, 2016
A very fine film based on the life of Temple Grandin. I thought they did a very good job of it. Watch it.
August 4, 2016
Interesting, I was a visual-type learner too, but obviously not to the extent of a Temple Grandin type, but enough to enjoy and relate in a small way to the visual cues the movie chose, which is the kind of touch that can make or break a project like this. Well-made.
July 29, 2016
A beautifully made film about one of the most fascinating minds in the world today. I just love this film.
½ July 25, 2016
Danes carefully brings the true story of a young autistic women to the small screen. This is her best work to date