The Ides of March Reviews

• 5d ago

a good political film directed by George Clooney, plus that Ryan and George Clooney as actors were dressed up

• Mar 24, 2020

About campains and politicians, everything rotten not much salvage here, entertaining and forgettable

• Oct 17, 2019

A biting, but not very original look at US election politics is mainly watchable for its first-rate cast and good direction.

• Sep 30, 2019

A funny satire on politics

A funny satire on politics

• Aug 31, 2019

The Ides of March is an entertaining drama about politics and human nature. The story and plot are serviceable; the film's life comes from its many fine actors. All are very good, and chief among them Ryan Gosling.

• Jul 03, 2019

An awesome political drama that utilizes the corruption and stress that revolve around the world beneath a candidate on stage. All of the cast were exceptional and the story built up one issue after the other

• Apr 27, 2019

Interesting film with a great cast.

Interesting film with a great cast.

• Apr 15, 2019

- george clooney: hey ryan pls come act in my new movie - ryan gosling: no - george clooney: i'll let you cry and be sad in a scene where it's raining and we'll zoom in on your beautiful face - ryan gosling: when do we start

• Nov 10, 2018

Strengths: For a political drama to work, it has to be tense, filled with complex characters, and well directed. This movie had all those things working for it. The tense moments were well handled throughout by director George Clooney. Clooney (Mike Morris) doubles with his solid acting, but the story isnâ(TM)t about him. Itâ(TM)s about the more complex characters. Ryan Gosling (Stephen Meyers) has a career filled with strong performances and this ranks near the top. Heâ(TM)s our hero, yet he never comes across as fully a good guy and ends the movie by basically blackmailing someone who is worse than him. There are a lot of shades of grey that work. Evan Rachel Wood (Molly Stearns) is fantastic, giving the best work of her career, while veteran actors Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Paul Zara), Marisa Tomei (Ida Horowicz), and Paul Giamatti (Tom Duffy) are all very good. Thereâ(TM)s a gritty sense of realism with everything that happens and I appreciated the way this ends on something of a cliffhanger. Weaknesses: While Clooney handled certain scenes well, he doesnâ(TM)t excel as the director. Itâ(TM)s shot in a mostly bland style. Along with some of the shots, I felt the score, sets, and some of the little things like those aspects couldâ(TM)ve been improved. I wouldâ(TM)ve liked another scene or two for Tomei. She played well off Gosling, yet only got used for a few scenes. The movie can get a bit boring if politics arenâ(TM)t your thing. Overall: A very strong political drama led by great acting, intriguing plot twists, and some truly tense moments.

• Oct 19, 2018

This is a very so-so movie, the plot is never gripping and maybe it's a sad indictment of the level that politicians hold in modern society but it never really seems that shocking and surprising either. Basically an OK episode of the West Wing, it never really feels like it warrants being made into a film.