The Ides of March Reviews

• Dec 14, 2020

I agree with those saying the ending is disappointing. I guess it's supposed to be ambiguous. Either Myers chooses integrity and takes down the governor in the interview or he becomes the cynical political shark Duffy said he would become. It's up to us to decide. Which is fine I guess. But I prefer the movie to pick a theme and proudly roll with it. The movie was good though. It's based on a play by Beau Willimon, creator of House of Cards. And it very much has that House of Cards vibe. It kept me interested. If not for the ending, I'd give it a little better rating.

• Nov 29, 2020

The story is nothing new, but the impressive cast make the film an acceptable watch. The plot was largely uneventful and predictable, but the pacing was fine. However, I didn't care about the characters at all, and some of the speeches felt silly. The acting was decent, and the cinematography was ok, but the soundtrack was forgettable. It's not a gripping film, but it's also not a bad film.

• Nov 12, 2020

Not unexpected... but this film is consistently gripping and actually managed to surprise me once or twice. Great performances all around -- and I will say it again: Ryan Gosling will be nominated this year.

• Oct 17, 2020

I was waiting for a better end. Same old story.....

I was waiting for a better end. Same old story.....

• Sep 16, 2020

I think that the greatest message to be taken from this film is that it does not matter who wins or loses in politics, it's how you play the game. Since politicians are all the same, regardless of what political banner they are choosing to fly at this particular moment, the ultimate outcome is irrelevant. The quality of this movie does not come so much from the political intrigue as the transformation that Gosling's character undergoes from wide eyed idealist, to cold, calculating political operative.

• Sep 15, 2020

"Politics is a dirty game". Yes, and? Not nearly so inventive as its acting talent and screenwriter would like to believe, with its focus on backroom deals, rewarding for use of underhanded tactics and deceit, and exploitation of good-natured innocence. Still, The Ides of March puts together a solid, if not particularly emotionally involved, plotline; apart from the rather incidental death of one of the film's characters, the consequences of failure are ... falling into a consulting position with a million-dollar salary? The human element is somewhat twisted and lost on many of the main characters (which is intentional), but the film tends not to capitalize as deeply as it could on the necessity of ruthlessness as it could, apart from Clooney's transformative negotiation in a darkened kitchen over the fate of the country's highest office. (3.5/5)

• Sep 14, 2020

Ides of March is a story of corruption and hypocracy in politics. Nothing we haven't seen before. But with a cast that consists of Gosling, Hoffman, and Giamatti, the last two, two of the best at their craft, I'm watching. Clooney plays a favored Dem candidate who speaks ill of big oil, even though ending it would decimate the economy since all our plastics and majority of commodities utilize it. And he continues with other inane leftist platitudes the mindless minions applaude. Thus the speeches are often simplistic and silly at best. Another issue is that Giamanni's character tells Gosling's Stephen that the Reps play hardball while the Dems play nice and have to raise their game which is a complete reversal of the truth. So even though the political talk is all hogwash and silly, the acting is the thing that pulls this cliche wreck through the night to safety or, should I say, half decent execution

• Jun 25, 2020

Not as good as other political-drama flicks, but not so bad overall

Not as good as other political-drama flicks, but not so bad overall

• Jun 21, 2020

You know what's going to happen, but the acting makes it delicious to watch.

You know what's going to happen, but the acting makes it delicious to watch.

• Mar 31, 2020

a good political film directed by George Clooney, plus that Ryan and George Clooney as actors were dressed up