The Invisible War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Invisible War Reviews

October 9, 2016
The Invisible War not only opens your eyes to the amount of rape and sexual assault in the military, but it also showcases the destructive nature of the crime and how it affects victims in grisly aftermath. Victims are suicidal, with no support because the ones you would report to are the perps most of the time. Not an easy watch, but an important one.
September 25, 2016
This rating by no means reflects the importance of the story told because it is definitely a disturbing and socially significant one. I just felt the topic would be more effectively absorbed through newspaper articles or television news reports which could offer deeper investigation and journalism.
May 21, 2016
Very eye-opening and saddening. It opened up the door for change. The movie definitely showed people something that was heavily ignored up until now.
April 24, 2016
Well, this documentary does an excellent job in accomplishing its goal: highlighting and calling for change the problem of sexual assault and harassment in the military. The film uses the voices of women (and a man) who all served in the military and suffered through having their service turned into a torment none of their commanders, the VA reps, or the DOD investigators cared to address. The documentary also highlights just how terrible the veteran's health care system is. My only wish is that more male victims were talked about in this film.
½ April 19, 2016
Well, there's the good part of the American experiment, and then there's the rest. This is a piece about some of that other, wherein representatives of the land of the free and home of the brave justify rape by your colleagues as simply an "occupational hazard". A national disgrace, not only for the crime against our sons and daughters but more so for the sanctioned cover-up after the fact, protecting the abusers. Got a Leave it to Beaver view of America, of its military (the highest example of The Dream), then this is not for you.
December 12, 2015
A revealing and sobering look at the sexual assault epidemic in the US military. While it was packed with detail and extremely well done, I couldn't help but feel that it repeated itself a few too many times and could've hit harder had it been a bit more concise. In the first hour it showed the injustice of the crimes that were being committed, but the last 40 minutes is spent beating you to submission with the troubling facts and testimonies, much of which had already been said.
November 17, 2015
disturbing, visceral, powerful.
November 14, 2015
A powerful look at the lack of justice in military sexual assault cases. The film really helped me feel the pain and shame that the victims of these injustices feel. It's a strong documentary that tells stories that need to be told to wake up America to changes that need to happen within our military.
October 31, 2015
The defenders of freedom are allowed to rape: where does that leave freedom?
½ October 20, 2015
The Review
"The Invisible War," directed by Kirby Dick is an oscar nominated documentary. The film explores the topic of sexual assault in the military from the perspective of 4 victims. The veterans share their truly heartbreaking stories. They show us the victim's family, and they comment on the assault as well. They all say the same thing, they were never the same. The title is more than fitting, of 3,374 cases of sexual assault reported only 484 cases went to trial and a mere 376 were actually convicted. But more than 70% of assaults go unreported.
They do interview some military officials and ask for them to comment. Their interviews seemed short and the interviewer may have been asking bias questions. They asked the head of the Prevention of Sexual Assault campaign how many cases go unreported. The women stated that she did not have that information, the interviewer then asked another question regarding unreported assaults. She again said she didn't know that information. The director made her look not credible and depicted her as stupid.
The film explores what they believe to be a reasonable solution to the rising number of assault cases. They believe that crimes in the military should be prosecuted by an unbiased third party. Currently an officer's Commander acts as their judge, jury, and executioner. Most women are punished or shamed when they try to report a crime. Many can't report because the superior they report to was the assultant. But how do you prosecute an active soldier? You would have to pull their entire unit for a proper investigation. They would need witness statements, evidence, lawyers and everything else needed for a fair trial. Can we really afford to be taking active units out of their war zones? Our military needs to operate smoothly and seamlessly. If soldiers and officers are constantly being taken out of work to be questioned and to testify, how will we get anything done? Overall I thought it was a very compelling film, I just wish we could've gotten a more well rounded picture.
August 18, 2015
Het zal waarschijnlijk in alle landen voorkomen maar uit deze documentaire blijkt wederom wat er in Amerika allemaal gedaan wordt om maar stoer, groot en onoverwinnelijk te lijken. Hoe mooier van buiten, hoe rotter van binnen,
July 19, 2015
Lost lawsuit states "RAPE IS AN OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD OF THE MILITARY".... ARE YOU FOR REAL?????? PLEASE WATCH, GIVE ME YOUR FEEDBACK....
March 27, 2015
shocking, and required viewing! what a system, where the chain of command has the say-so and can cover up whatever. a daunting task, to affect change in the masculine=strong machine of the military.
½ December 30, 2014
Difficult to watch, and important, but ultimately it makes the same point over and over, which is not to say it is not a valuable and concerning point.
October 30, 2014
I don't want to sound insensitive but The Invisible War was rather dull for a documentary dealing with an issue as emotional as that of rape. The biggest issue is the amount of time the film spends with "talking heads." Understandably the topic is one that would be difficult to find action footage but with so many interviews the topic became dull and uninteresting after the first 30 minutes.
October 17, 2014
The Invisible War is one of the best documentary films I have ever seen since Indie Game: The Movie, if not, the best. Every minute of it, I get shocked. It's just really messed up that stuff like this happen, and people don't do anything about it, in fact, they even cover it up which really surprised me. It really does make me mad about it. It is really brave for those soldiers to talk about what happen to them, as I know it's very hard to talk about. I got really invested in this and see how it goes. I'm glad this film was made as it really can make a difference towards women thinking about becoming a soldier. The Invisible War is a powerful and interesting documentary movie.
October 12, 2014
The Invisible War told me things that I already knew: I knew that it was extremely difficult for rape victims in the armed forces to report rape (especially if their rapist is higher in command), that most rape victims attempt suicide and develop PTSD, and most of the statistics that they mentioned in the film. However, what the film did give me was first hand accounts of how rape affects the lives of the victims and what happens to some rapists (such as that they continue their service and that they do not receive a harsh punishment). The Invisible War was a gritty, truthful, and eye opening documentary that keeps viewers horrified, yet interested.
½ October 6, 2014
Trigger Warning: descriptions of women going through reporting after sexual assault. Though I knew a bit about the inner workings of the US military, their treatment of women was a complete mystery. It turns out, female soldiers are treated as commodities even when they are risking their lives for this country. Not only that, but women in the military are forced into silence and their assailants go unconvicted. Various women come forward to tell their horrifying stories in this film, and the way they were mishandled by the military is terrifying. The system in place is hurting, and giving PTSD, to hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of women, and it needs to end permanently. This is a seriously emotional look into an institution that devalues women and, worst of all, creates an environment where women feel unsafe. These women joined the military to serve their country, but by the end of the film they hate the institution that they triumphed. That, above all else, is the most disheartening thing to see.
September 21, 2014
Warning:Sexual harassmentRapeViolence against womenMisogynyWomen as propertyVictim blamingSexismFalse rape myth (the belief that statistically relevant number of women file fallacious rape reports). Actually posterizes the idea that an innocent man risks being accused of rape if he has "consensual sex with an intoxicated woman", of course referring to the idea of "woman-as-slut-with-regret, accuses man to protect her virtue". "WAIT UNTIL SHE'S SOBER. Which is misogynistic, anti- female sexuality, victim blaming, apologistic, and pretends that men are the victims in a rape case.Institutionalized misogyny & rape cultureRape apologists"Women who walk alone are inviting rape"Persecution of women who report rapeRape cultureHOLY RAPE CULTURE "people at risk for sexual assault""A Navy study found that 15 percent of incoming recruits attempted or committed rape before entering the military. Twice the percentage of the equivalent civilian population."7 percent of people have raped someone?ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME"40 percent of homeless female veterans have been raped while they were serving.""In units where sexual harassment is tolerated, incidence of rape triple"I think that's important. Think of how that translates in civilian culture.Recommended.
½ August 13, 2014
Wednesday, August 13, 2014

(2012) The Invisible War
DOCUMENTARY

Examination of sexual harassment and assault victims within the US military with interviews spawning from war veterans who has served since the Vietnam war all the way through to the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. One of the problems I had with this is that we don't even get to see the people who're accused of this which makes these stories so one-sided , but it could be the result that there are no protocol in place to expose the perpetrators who're accused even though the victims have the physical scars to prove it including DNA. I also don't think that all people who's served within the US military all do this, and that there should be some protocol put in place to ensure that people who're serving in general shouldn't have to put up with this since some recruits may already have a questionable background.

From watching this documentary makes one to think that perhaps if people who are motivated to joined the US military also needs to have a background check before allowed to join.

3 out of 4 stars