The Little Death Reviews

• Jun 08, 2019

I missed seeing this in the theaters when it was first released. This is a wonderfully quirky little comic film that investigates some truly odd sexual fetishes, including a few I've never heard: watching someone sleep or cry are two new ones for me. 'Role playing' is well known, I think, but here, the narrative asks a comical question: what if one of the role-players becomes so inspired to make a career jump into acting, he forgets why he and his wife were asked by their therapist to try role-playing in the first place. Played in 5 separate episodes of couples living in Sydney, Australia, the one fantasy most misguided would have to be the first, which leads to a rather unfortunate and almost tragic result. The saddest episode must be the milquetoast middle-aged insomniac husband who finds his wife most attractive only when she's sleeping, which he repeatedly drugs her every night. The most uplifting episode must go to "sam & monica" who have an erotic conversation via sign language. It's really very touching to watch how that relationship grows. Enjoyable film, definitely worth the watch on Netflix.

• May 20, 2019

hilarious! we still quote from it on a daily basis :D

hilarious! we still quote from it on a daily basis :D

• Mar 22, 2019

what i would give to have a Paul. But i'm a 2 at best

what i would give to have a Paul. But i'm a 2 at best

• Nov 01, 2018

One of the best movies I've seen in a good while. Well written, beautiful cast, exceptional driection and a delicious invitation to adult sex!

• Apr 02, 2018

It was hilarious. The writer did not attempt to make it a cohesive, holistic "story." Therefor, the critic consensus is erroneous - they have the intent wrong. The intent was to place comedy in portraying how sexual fetishes affect relationships positively/negatively, etc.

• Jan 25, 2017

Really liked the movie. The challenging topic of fetishes was handled humorously and even had moments of high tension and dread. Talent story telling. The team that put this together will be noticed in Hollywood.

• Jan 01, 2017

The last section is simply glorious and holds the movie up like a tent pole. Because as far as the rest is concerned, The Little Death's different plot threads - some good some bad - have little cumulative power.

• Aug 15, 2016

There's a new game We like to play you see A game with added reality You treat me like a dog Get me down on my knees We call it master and servant Depeche Mode If you've ever wondered what the neighbours across the road are up to when their curtains are drawn in the middle of the afternoon, THE LITTLE DEATH is just the film for you. Taken from the French slang for "orgasm", this Australian, tongue-in-cheek (or toe-in-mouth, as the case would be here) film explores what some people might consider to be kinky sex. Written and directed by Josh Lawson (Doug Guggenheim on TV's HOUSE OF LIES), the story weaves together the sexploits of five suburban Sydney couples who are connected by a new neighbour who has just moved in. Instead of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, call this one "Desperate Couples". Paul (played by Lawson) & Maeve are Couple #1 and they have been living together for five years. Paul has commitment issues and Maeve thinks that by throwing some gasoline on Paul's fire, it will get him to move faster. What's her brilliant idea, you ask? A rape fantasy that she wants Paul to fulfill... except that she doesn't want to know if it's him who is raping her. (That makes no sense, I know, but it's a real, and apparently a very popular, fetish.) Couple #2, Dan & Evie, turn to role-playing as a way to recharge their relationship that has flat-lined. Couple #3, Rowena & Richard, have been trying to get pregnant. When Rowena discovers that she gets turned on by Richard's tears, she pulls out all the stops to make him cry. Couple #4, Phil & Maureen, have been married the longest of the bunch and they're probably only still together for the sake of the kids. When Phil accidentally drugs Maureen, he discovers his ideal mate has always been right under his roof. Couple #5, Monica & Sam, aren't a couple just yet but we know they will be. They're both deaf but Monica is quite capable of filling in any deficiencies that Sam may be experiencing because of his inability to hear. There is a good case for saying that THE LITTLE DEATH is not about sex at all. Rather, it's about relationships and how couples try to find a connection that works for them. (Whatever happened to love, honour and listening?) I can appreciate that there are different strokes for different folks but two, and possibly three, of the so-called connections in this film involve non-consensual sex. Where I come from, that's called "rape". Unless you're a fan of Brock Turner, rape should not be a laughing matter. Director Lawson must have been aware that he was walking on very thin ice with the story about Phil and Maureen, as he only shows the man cuddling his wife and alludes to him dressing her up while she's knocked out. Even so, the message still suggests that, for Paul at least, a good mate is not only a submissive mate but one who doesn't even know she's being submissive. THE LITTLE DEATH was the Audience Award Winner at the 2015 SXSW Film Festival, an event that is known for its edgy programming. Whether Hong Kong audiences will be as receptive, we'll soon see. I watched the film in a room with six women and two other men, all local Chinese, and while they laughed, I cringed. Maybe rape is funny these days. The film does have some good points, the greatest of them being its educational value. As each couple is introduced, we're presented with the definition of their fetish. So, we get to learn words like "dacryphilia" and "somnophilia", which may come in handy one day. (Phil's fetish would be more correctly termed "narcophilia", if you're really interested.) Subject matter and controversial themes aside, the acting was quite good all around. The actors who played Dan and Evie seemed to be having the most fun with it. Perhaps the role-playing scenarios and their costumes added to their performances. The script, though, was rather uneven both in pacing and in tone, and the ending, though completely understandable (at least to me), was somewhat unsatisfying. As all the couples - and especially the new neighbour - ultimately discover, and just like the film's title suggests, their new-found happiness might be amazingly fantastic but it is short-lived.

• Aug 08, 2016

The secret lives of five suburban couples living in Sydney reveal both the fetishes and the repercussions that come with sharing them. A woman with a dangerous fantasy and her partner´s struggle to please her. A man who begins an affair with his own wife without her knowing anything about it. A couple struggling to keep things together after a sexual experiment spins out of control. A woman who can only find pleasure in her husband's pain. A call centre operator caught in the middle of a dirty and chaotic phone call. And the distractingly charming new neighbour who connects them all. The little Death explores why do we want what we want? How far will we go to get it? What are the consequences of that fleeting moment of sexual ecstasy? Josh Lawson's directorial debut puts the finger on slightly odd sexual fetishes we might not normally see in comedies or romcoms for that matter. Fetishes exist but isn´t really taked about, however that´s maybe not so strange as it does put you on the spot of diverting from the set norm, even if we all have some sort of fetish. "The Little Death" has solid acting, but fails to really tie the stories together in my eyes and the last part with the communication operator just seems to not even belong to the rest of the film. Josh Lawson doesn´t manage to hold everything together in the end and the characters almost becomes sitcom clichés. It seems he ran out of inspiration and just added the parts and hoped it would become a wholeness in the editing room. Despite as said solid acting from all involved it´s the lovely Bojana Novakovic that stands out and her character´s fetish (that is actually amongst the most wellknown fetishes). "The Little Death" doesn´t reach the finishing line, but the effort is ok.

• Jun 24, 2016

The movie was really funny!! I enjoyed a lot The end was a bit disappointing but the whole movie was amusing