The Monkey's Paw Reviews

• Oct 08, 2019

When the gore happens it's really good, and the acting is pretty good as well. However, there is so much filler gaps that it is easy to lose interest between the few good parts. Sadly, this was a pretty predictable movie.

• Apr 13, 2016

They somehow couldn't even tell the proper "Monkey's Paw" premise and story.. Pfffft.

• Dec 08, 2015

simply god awful like are you kidding me? seriously horror movies take a break and come up with some new shit

• Nov 28, 2015

The classic story of monkeys paw, turned into a sequel over 100 years later. The story is pretty much the same, but this time it tries to turn into a slasher type of film. May not be Freddy or Jason, but not too shabby. Could have used several more rewrites to make half the scenes relevant, but as far as horrible horror films on Netflix goes, you could do worse.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Oct 26, 2015

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, particularly considering the last Chiller movie I saw, Deep in the Darkness wasn't very good. I suppose the quality of each film has more to do with the content of the film as opposed to the budget, but I'm assuming that this movie had around or the same budget as DITD, but I thought the scripting was a little better here, as was the acting. Stephen Lang is an underrated actor and he was one of the few things that I liked about Avatar and he does a good enough job here in this movie as well. I liked the progression of the story. Not that it's anything that great or compelling, but you're at least invested enough in wanting to see how the film's narrative plays out. The problems come in the fact that the film is pretty much has one tone through and through. I mean, I guess someone coming back from the dead, due to a wish granted from the monkey's paw, completely different and homicidal as opposed to who they were before they died is interesting, but I think the movie needs a little something more than Stephen Lang, literally, going all over New Orleans to kill a ton of people. Though, at the very least, the film tries to give you a reason for Lang's character's actions. He was having issues with his ex-wife, who took out a restraining order on him to stay away from her son. We don't know what happened in their past, but it can't have been good if the restraining order got approved. Lang's character laments the fact that he isn't allowed to see his son before he dies and after he comes back, he's a little more, let's say, assertive about wanting to see his son again. So at least there's a motivation for why Lang's character is doing what he's doing, so that's always good to see. Like I said, the film doesn't really branch out much out of its initial tone, so it always ends up feeling the same, though I did think the climax was solid and there was some good acting involved here. I definitely think this is a movie that overachieves from, what some would describe, a limited scope. It's not that I would say that this is good or anything, because it isn't, and it doesn't really do anything wholly unique. But I did think the film told a story that had you invested in seeing it all the way to its conclusion and some solid acting to elevate its weaker elements. It's not a good movie, or anything like that, but I was pleasantly surprised by this. I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but it's not a terrible movie at all, it's average at best.

• Jun 05, 2015

Pretty cool little take on the tale. A lot better than I was expecting.

Pretty cool little take on the tale. A lot better than I was expecting.

• May 20, 2015

Not much scary factor but the story was different. Very much like a scifi movie.

• Mar 28, 2015

This was just horrible. The Simpson's did it better.

This was just horrible. The Simpson's did it better.

• Jan 26, 2015

A boring waste of time. A great premise completely wasted.

A boring waste of time. A great premise completely wasted.

• Jan 24, 2015

Could have been really good, but it was just kind of okay. Not sure where it fell short, but it wasn't doing it for me.