Threads - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Threads Reviews

May 9, 2009
In this VERY graphic dramatisation of a city during the lead up to nuclear war and the following fall-out, we're shown that things would be completely horrible.
Got to ask...did anyone think it would be sunshine, peaches and ice-cream all round?
June 13, 2008
brutal stuff!!! very realistic, this is graphic and morbid..ultimately depressing..but movie production values are high and not much is held back...not exactly entertaining but is gripping drama if apocalypse genre is your thing...
December 26, 2010
not as good as "the day after" but still very well done but what the fuck kind of ending was that? a little girl (i think) giving birth to a still born baby?
½ May 16, 2010
A very in depth look at nuclear winter. Threads felt more like a what if documentary than a story, but I found it fascinating.
June 14, 2008
I remember seeing this when I was ten years old and it scarred me for life. It covers three months before and ten years after a nuclear war and shows how the human race descends to being little more than rats. This one will give you nightmares.
November 14, 2007
If you like realistic, harrowing, gut-wrenching movies of despair and destruction, this is for you. A 1984 BBC production about nuclear holocaust. Ugh. You will be clinically depressed after watching it, but it's worth it.
½ July 27, 2007
This one was positively chilling. BBC production aired in the US on Turner. Very controversial at the time.
October 21, 2015
One of the most disturbing and effecting films about nuclear war I have ever seen.

Not for the faint of heart!
½ July 26, 2015
A brutal look at the build up to a Soviet strike against the UK. It pulls no punches in it's depiction of the initial attack and the immediate and long-term aftermath of a full nuclear exchange, and doesn't have any of the Hollywood hope that was forced upon The Day After (which is still great!) by the network. Just as terrifying to watch now as it was back at the height of the Cold War. Hard hitting stuff from the BBC.
July 24, 2015
Not technically a film, but in many ways, not technically a TV show either. Along the lines of Survivors, which dealt with a virus nearly exterminating humanity, Threads attempts to address the entirely possible but seldom discussed issue of a nuclear attack and subsequent fallout. With clever integration of stock footage, but questionable inclusion of photographs, the show chronicles the build up to the attack, the attack itself, and then the following 13 years as the people of Britain attempt to adjust to their post-apocalyptic lives. You really don't get to know many of the characters very well, mainly because there's quite a few of them, but I think that may have been the point. In times of great panic and hysteria, every individual just becomes another face in the crowd. The images of the bodies among the ruins are haunting, and the performances of the actors, particularly while struggling within their decimated homes or scavenging whatever food they can get their hands on, are so raw that it never really feels like acting. It does go on a big long, and the time shifts towards the end become increasingly jarring and erratic. The programme works on an almost subconscious level, since a nuclear attack could potentially happen at any time, but nearly everyone is reluctant to even acknowledge the possibility. The fear simply lurks at the back of the mind. The show illustrates the horrors we would rather never consider, and makes its audience think long and hard about how we would all cope in a fallout, not as individuals, but as a nation.
June 15, 2015
this film has gone onto my top 10 list, not because it is fun and enjoyable, but because it scares the hell out of you and makes you think about it for days, weeks and even years after.
if you can watch this film and not be shocked and left thinking then sorry to say you are not human.
well done to the BBC on making a little known but one of the all time worlds greatest films created.

a must see for anyone.
March 25, 2015
For those of you who think The Day After is a scary movie, welcome to Threads. The terrifying thing about this movie is watching humanity waste away after the fall of civilization. I didn't even feel sad watching the movie. I just felt shock and guilty disgust. The message of the film is so important you feel obligated to just accept what you're seeing, like a punishment, and learn from the experience. Hell on Earth is possible and we must be careful not to bring it on ourselves.
February 1, 2015
This film isn't simply dark and disturbing: it has the ability to destroy every single bloody trace of idealism you might have.
More frightening than your average horror movie, more devastating than any drama film ever made, a worse war-related nightmare than Apocalypse Now, you get the idea...
It is a great movie; perhaps a little TOO efficient in proving it's point to the viewer. If you wanna watch, BEWARE: you won't be the same person ever again, I'M DEAD FUCKIN SERIOUS!!!
July 4, 2014
I was 13 when this film came out and it literally changed my subsequent view of the world. It was ahead of its time, but the really scary thing is now that even though it's a brutal, grim and traumatising film, what we now know about the likely effects of a nuke war and it's aftermath make this look tame. A must watch, especially for those who grew up out with the Cold War.
June 26, 2014
Being from Yorkshire, I recognise most of these places in the film (although some don't exist anymore, but not because they've been nuked!). Harrowing depiction of nuclear war and the fallout (no pun intended) of it. Excellent film, well acted.
May 13, 2014
The definitive film dealing with thermonuclear war. Brutal, raw and wonderfully subversive. Few films are life changing - this is...
March 24, 2014
The most harrowing film I've ver seen. It's about how the town of Sheffield, England survives a nuclear holocaust. They don't survive very well when United States and the Soviet Union go to war. I saw it years ago but I still remember it well. Don't plan to ever watch it again.
½ January 7, 2014
An interesting and, predictably dark, experiment that's worth watching for its ambition and scope but certainly isn't something you're likely going to come back to.

The pseudo-documentary nature of the film is interesting and it works well as a 'what if' portrayal on the topic of a nuclear attack but the lesson it seems to be trying to put forward is surely a fairly obvious one going in- if Sheffield really were to be bombed then obviously that would be terrible. Nonetheless, this film makes sure to keep explaining that to you... a lot... like, really... a lot. It'd be really, really bad, okay?

It's characters are interesting and it has a lengthy part of the film situated before the disaster which allows for all of the tension and worry to build. The events seem realistic with a lot of detail going into why such a thing would occur and then of course the consequences that would come from it happening. It's strong visually with some great scenes of a destroyed landscape and endless victims pilled within it and it's suitably morbid and blunt, never letting up at all.

It's hard to really take anything from the film though- again, we get that such a thing would be bad and we could guess a fair few of the consequences shown in the film and so sitting through this dark portrayal of them only really seems appealing as some form of self-punishment. I imagine the impact of such an attack may have been more difficult for viewers to grasp when this piece was originally released and so maybe it simply hasn't aged well in that sense but it's definitely difficult to see why someone would actually chose to spend two hours of their life with this and yet... I did.

Overall, it does what it says on the tin well but this tin is sharp and unpleasant and so I doubt many people will be reaching for it in the first place. If it takes your fancy as some kind of entertainment-torture then you definitely won't be disappointed and if you have an interest in nuclear weaponry then this is for you too but I doubt, after seeing it, that you'll ever suddenly think at some point in the future: 'hey, I should watch Threads again!'.
½ July 12, 2013
Do not pay attention to the rating. I don't think I can rate this movie at all. It's bleak, depressing, disturbing and nightmarish. It's realistic, brutal and intense. In my opinion, Threads is a horror movie. I can't say I loved it but I can say it was an extraordinary effort to capture a reality I never EVER want to face.
September 17, 2013
chillingly realistic, this makes the day after look like a walk in the park