Threads - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Threads Reviews

½ March 19, 2016
I Really think this movie deserves a high rating... But, please beware this is not a movie you want your child seeing. It left me disturbed for weeks.
I don't think I would ever watch this movie again. But I would have to recommend it to true thriller fans. I would do my homework on this movie before seeing it. Not for the faint of heart. This is POWERFUL & will stay with you for a long long time - if not forever...
January 28, 2016
Still incredibly poignant to this day. One time viewing is enough to know this is a masterpiece that could evoke paranoia to anyone, anywhere, at any time
½ January 4, 2016
Interesting and quite chilling but in some aspects with a little research with today's understanding of nuke attacks not completely correct. But harrowing all the same in places.
October 21, 2015
One of the most disturbing and effecting films about nuclear war I have ever seen.

Not for the faint of heart!
August 31, 2015
I believe I saw this on PBS in '84 shortly after it was made, and was left speechless. With its semi-documentary approach, the movie creates tension, fear, bleakness, and sorrow in a way that makes contemporary American films like The Day After and Testament seem like Sesame Street productions. Because it doesn't rely heavily on special effects or a soundtrack to cue you how to feel, it stands the test of time. By far the most powerful movie made about nuclear war, yet sadly probably the least known.
½ July 26, 2015
A brutal look at the build up to a Soviet strike against the UK. It pulls no punches in it's depiction of the initial attack and the immediate and long-term aftermath of a full nuclear exchange, and doesn't have any of the Hollywood hope that was forced upon The Day After (which is still great!) by the network. Just as terrifying to watch now as it was back at the height of the Cold War. Hard hitting stuff from the BBC.
July 24, 2015
Not technically a film, but in many ways, not technically a TV show either. Along the lines of Survivors, which dealt with a virus nearly exterminating humanity, Threads attempts to address the entirely possible but seldom discussed issue of a nuclear attack and subsequent fallout. With clever integration of stock footage, but questionable inclusion of photographs, the show chronicles the build up to the attack, the attack itself, and then the following 13 years as the people of Britain attempt to adjust to their post-apocalyptic lives. You really don't get to know many of the characters very well, mainly because there's quite a few of them, but I think that may have been the point. In times of great panic and hysteria, every individual just becomes another face in the crowd. The images of the bodies among the ruins are haunting, and the performances of the actors, particularly while struggling within their decimated homes or scavenging whatever food they can get their hands on, are so raw that it never really feels like acting. It does go on a big long, and the time shifts towards the end become increasingly jarring and erratic. The programme works on an almost subconscious level, since a nuclear attack could potentially happen at any time, but nearly everyone is reluctant to even acknowledge the possibility. The fear simply lurks at the back of the mind. The show illustrates the horrors we would rather never consider, and makes its audience think long and hard about how we would all cope in a fallout, not as individuals, but as a nation.
June 15, 2015
this film has gone onto my top 10 list, not because it is fun and enjoyable, but because it scares the hell out of you and makes you think about it for days, weeks and even years after.
if you can watch this film and not be shocked and left thinking then sorry to say you are not human.
well done to the BBC on making a little known but one of the all time worlds greatest films created.

a must see for anyone.
March 31, 2015
For those of you who think The Day After is a scary movie, welcome to Threads. The terrifying thing about this movie is watching humanity waste away after the fall of civilization. I didn't even feel sad watching the movie. I just felt shock and guilty disgust. The message of the film is so important you feel obligated to just accept what you're seeing, like a punishment, and learn from the experience. Hell on Earth is possible and we must be careful not to bring it on ourselves.
February 1, 2015
This film isn't simply dark and disturbing: it has the ability to destroy every single bloody trace of idealism you might have.
More frightening than your average horror movie, more devastating than any drama film ever made, a worse war-related nightmare than Apocalypse Now, you get the idea...
It is a great movie; perhaps a little TOO efficient in proving it's point to the viewer. If you wanna watch, BEWARE: you won't be the same person ever again, I'M DEAD FUCKIN SERIOUS!!!
July 4, 2014
I was 13 when this film came out and it literally changed my subsequent view of the world. It was ahead of its time, but the really scary thing is now that even though it's a brutal, grim and traumatising film, what we now know about the likely effects of a nuke war and it's aftermath make this look tame. A must watch, especially for those who grew up out with the Cold War.
June 26, 2014
Being from Yorkshire, I recognise most of these places in the film (although some don't exist anymore, but not because they've been nuked!). Harrowing depiction of nuclear war and the fallout (no pun intended) of it. Excellent film, well acted.
May 15, 2014
A perfect disaster film.
May 13, 2014
The definitive film dealing with thermonuclear war. Brutal, raw and wonderfully subversive. Few films are life changing - this is...
April 19, 2014
Post apocalyptic Sheffield filmmaking at its best...
March 24, 2014
The most harrowing film I've ver seen. It's about how the town of Sheffield, England survives a nuclear holocaust. They don't survive very well when United States and the Soviet Union go to war. I saw it years ago but I still remember it well. Don't plan to ever watch it again.
February 23, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
½ January 7, 2014
An interesting and, predictably dark, experiment that's worth watching for its ambition and scope but certainly isn't something you're likely going to come back to.

The pseudo-documentary nature of the film is interesting and it works well as a 'what if' portrayal on the topic of a nuclear attack but the lesson it seems to be trying to put forward is surely a fairly obvious one going in- if Sheffield really were to be bombed then obviously that would be terrible. Nonetheless, this film makes sure to keep explaining that to you... a lot... like, really... a lot. It'd be really, really bad, okay?

It's characters are interesting and it has a lengthy part of the film situated before the disaster which allows for all of the tension and worry to build. The events seem realistic with a lot of detail going into why such a thing would occur and then of course the consequences that would come from it happening. It's strong visually with some great scenes of a destroyed landscape and endless victims pilled within it and it's suitably morbid and blunt, never letting up at all.

It's hard to really take anything from the film though- again, we get that such a thing would be bad and we could guess a fair few of the consequences shown in the film and so sitting through this dark portrayal of them only really seems appealing as some form of self-punishment. I imagine the impact of such an attack may have been more difficult for viewers to grasp when this piece was originally released and so maybe it simply hasn't aged well in that sense but it's definitely difficult to see why someone would actually chose to spend two hours of their life with this and yet... I did.

Overall, it does what it says on the tin well but this tin is sharp and unpleasant and so I doubt many people will be reaching for it in the first place. If it takes your fancy as some kind of entertainment-torture then you definitely won't be disappointed and if you have an interest in nuclear weaponry then this is for you too but I doubt, after seeing it, that you'll ever suddenly think at some point in the future: 'hey, I should watch Threads again!'.