Threads Reviews

• Oct 14, 2020

Threads is certainly everything its advertised to be a, menacing, grim, terrifying view and a strong warning against nuclear war. The film is shot nicely and the cinematography and lighting help to keep our feeling in the gutter. Its never really daylight and even when it is it appears dreary and desolate filming almost looks like a cheaper eraserhead at times. The issue for me sort of develops after the first half of the film, while all of the after effects are true and believable it unfolds with such menace that it reminds you that at heart this is really more a film that belongs in a classroom more than a theater. This is not a bad thing at all for me it just means that I can't give it a 5 star when I PERSONALLY don't find it to be "entertaining".I would say it should be soon be everyone and certainly those that are naive or uneducated to the realities of nuclear weapons.

• Sep 06, 2020

There is no scarier movie. Jason, Freddie, Michael, Chuckie, Pumpkin Head, Leatherface these characters effect a small percentage of the populous; like a lion on the prowl. I don't have nightmares about either. Nuclear war effects us all. Imagine being utterly helpless in protecting and providing for your family, friends and fellow humanity. For me, this movie is so dynamic and multilayered. The whole reason the war was fought was due to the fact that they didn't want to surrender to the totalitarian communist Soviet Union. But, what they got was a totalitarian government and a wasteland that turned a once vibrant society into a zombie apocalypse.

• Aug 31, 2020

Was produced after "The Day After" and is better. Takes England back to a post-nuclear Medieval Times.

• Aug 17, 2020

Profoundly disturbing and important. Remembering that many of us grew up with this danger in the front of our minds.

• Mar 06, 2019

I lost my original write-up of this piece and I don't wanna rewrite it, so this is a much shorter verison. Sheffield is suffering after an atom bomb has went of nearby. We get to know the people before, during and after the catastrophy and this is a total melt down of a film. How things goes from great, to scary to horrible. The scariest thing here is the realisticness. It's gritty, bleak, ugly and extremely depressing. Give it a go if you can stomach it and got a taste for giving yourself a mental depression that lasts just for a few days. 9 out of 10 nightmares.

• Jan 01, 2019

I enjoyed this docudrama, but not so much as many others. Perhaps it is because I didn't see it way back when it was released in the 1980s. I can certainly see why, over 30 years ago, it would've shocked the holy hell out of people. Clearly, that's what this is designed to do. The most successful aspect of Threads is the graphic nature of the portrayal of a nuclear aftermath. But the storyline portion of the film leaves a lot to be desired. The execution is a bit wooden, with plenty of text popping up on the screen at random times, saying some really obvious things like "diseases is now rampant" or "crops won't grow." Things like that. Still, I didn't find it too difficult to place myself back in the 1980s and experience the movie much as people would've back then. I do hear a lot of comparisons between Threads and Testament. I prefer the latter because it effectively uses character and storyline to tell the tale. Threads feels more like a documentary at times, and punts on the story by literally spelling out key elements with text on the screen.

• Oct 05, 2018

4.25* A disturbing and unnerving film about the consequences of nuclear warfare. Considering that the movie is over 34 years old and still strikes a nerve is amazing. The movie doesn't feel outdated. Definitely a great scary watch.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 17, 2018

An excellent dramatization of a nuclear attack in England whose unique power is hidden in that it demonstrates nuclear devastation under the most positive of circumstances ("what if we knew it was coming and had time to prepare for it?"), underlining the stark reality unfolded. It casts serious shade on other stories of this type but yet, while an superb work that is by no means a feel-good movie but it's certainly one that cannot help but provoke good thought.

• Aug 16, 2018

Still an extremely powerful docudrama.

Still an extremely powerful docudrama.

• Mar 24, 2018

A harsh and harrowing exploration of the events that would follow a nuclear attack. Extremely impressive, in it's authenticity and quality, especially considering it was made for the BBC in the 80s. It's dark, depressing and grim.