Thunderbirds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thunderbirds Reviews

March 20, 2017
To see such a classic series pissed on with such vehement disrespect as this film manages to do is just devastating. I was a huge fan of Thunderbirds and other Gerry Anderson projects such as Stingray and Captain Scarlet when I was a kid. But I'm not worried, this film has already slipped into obscurity and future generations will reassuringly only remember the original. This film is just so shockingly bad it's untrue!
March 6, 2017
Universally this seems to be hated but Felix and I both enjoyed it. It's not really a Thunderbirds movie (which is a shame, the cartoon reboot shows that one would work) as most of the Tracy clan are relegated to be stranded in space for most of the duration. The movie itself focuses on Alan and as a result has more of a 'Spy Kids' or Mid '80s kids flick feel. It's all good fun though and no-one is taking anything too seriously. My 4 year old Thunderbirds obsessed son loved it and basically wanted to watch it again immediately afterwards so it's clearly pleasing it's target audience.
August 24, 2016
This was a childhood memory to me
½ July 22, 2016
The Thunderbirds was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid. This movie is a live action version of the 1960s action/adventure Supermarionation puppet show directed by Jonathan Frakes who played Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation(ST:TNG.) I always thought Frakes was a better director than actor. Some of the best ST:TNG episodes were directed by him. While I think Frakes did a good job of directing this movie I was disappointed to see that this was meant for a younger audience. I felt like I was watching something on the Disney channel. The main characters were three kids and the adults had supporting roles. The original characters were pushed into the background and the story centered around the three new younger characters. I would have preferred to see the original characters as the main focus.
March 25, 2016
That movie was a very funny revisit of a kids show. Made for your inenr child to enjoy. And I did enjoy it. Not the best movie of all times, but by far not as bad as all the trolls male it out to be! If you loved the show as a kid, give it a fair burl.
½ August 10, 2015
Aww man, Frakes you're better than this. The same goes for Kingsley but then I'm used to seeing him appear in bad movies. But Frakes man, you directed my favorite Star Trek film and showed real talent. But this... It looks like Spy Kids, only without the sense of fun. And with worse acting. Honestly, how could the original cast of puppets be better actors than flesh and blood performers? Sure, focusing entirely on three kids separated from your seasoned performers for them to play off of was always going to be dangerous, but these kids are remarkably flat even given the circumstances. While the dreadful script is mostly to blame for that, Frakes has to take some responsibility. The "martial arts" scenes would have looked cheesy even in TNG fight scene. Used to working with experienced actors he has no idea how to handle children, and for some reason he manages to screw up the pacing on even the few decent moments the script throws up. Rush rush rush to get to the end. A worthy goal as it happens, but it makes the entire film a real drag.
½ July 8, 2015
This film may have pissed off a lot of fans but that's because this is a children's movie, so if you are hoping this lives up to your expectation, this isn't for you.
½ May 28, 2015
I give it this rating because i actually liked it as a kid.
April 23, 2015
Grade: High kind of 2/10 if that makes it any better

Thunderbirds is an adventure remake of the original TV series of the same name and one that destroys it's legacy and systematically kills it dead. It is an awful reworking and one that is just awful, it is worse than bad and who this was made for I will never know. This movie is obviously aimed at kids and even looking at it that way doesn't make sense, it is offending to the kids as well it is just so terrible.

The plot is really crazy and kind of a bit haywire, it just jumps a little too much ahead and never slows down to consider what it is doing, that includes the various changes the film has between camera shots with certain clothing changing constantly. Now of course it is a good old adventure, but the case is it is executed terribly, some could find bits here and there where it could be improved but for me this was a lost case within the first 5 minutes and one I will not remember fondly.

The acting if it even possible is even worse than the story and even the best actors and most experienced can't escape this quagmire of a movie. Brady Corbet our main character Alan Tracy is just awful and is progressively really really annoying to the senses. Big actors like Ben Kingsley and Bill Paxton aren't terrible but still poor and no depth or expertise can they give the roles, not that they can as it is just so badly made. The rest of the cast don't do much to stand out and again I felt with the people involved, it is impossible to impress in such a drab plot.

What can I say positively about this, well, the effects used are not so bad for 2004 the year this came out and sometimes you can kind of think very nice. But even with the effects I have a problem as although they are nice, they are way overused at moments and then put in really silly times, it is as if strategic effects are used to then create some kind of disaster waiting to come.

One lasting hateful thing this movie does is ruin the massive legacy of the old puppet and strings TV series of the 1960's and really shows kids of this day the wrong message, one of silly jokes and silly characters(some of which are completely made up for this movie). I think if you want to respect an old legendary thing then please don't change it because this is altered actually quite a little bit and it could be said too much, the future revamp didn't work and the vehicles are highlights of the randomness this movie brings.

I guess I could say it is well choreographed in the fighting and sometimes it can seem nice, even though some fighting seems overly choreographed so it can be blatantly seen it has just taught to the actor. The title sequence is very nice I'll give it that and the soundtrack from the band Busted is really a big song and one that if played actually in the film as things go on could have drastically improved the kick-ass like factor it sorely needs.

Overall it is terrible and is really really far from being positive, I am equally just as glad this didn't spawn any sequel or with a horrible thought, a franchise. Yes Thunderbirds(2004) is not a good movie and one that although I hope will be remade in the future well, may have to stick to animation to get proper results.
November 15, 2014
A very good tribute to my childhood and what got me into Airplanes
½ November 9, 2014
Just bad, half a star for the mess Bill Paxton and Ben Kingsley got themselves in.
½ November 4, 2014
A really forgettable piece of filmmaking that is not worth your time at all. It boasts unmemorable characters, poor acting, wasted talent, tensionless situations, and bad mediocre writing. Throughout the movie, I wished that I would be watching something better. The child actors bring no good presence on screen and I did not care about any of them. Talented actors Ben Kingsley and Bill Paxton are not given much to do and they were under a poorly written script. The only positives I could name was that I thought the premise was intriguing and if it had been in good hands, it would have been a solid movie and the other positive was that it wasn't a total piece of garbage. There is nothing to recommend here and it was only made to try to make a quick buck from the general public.
½ October 9, 2014
full of action the Thunderbirds are reunited and brought to a new generation of thunderfans, although the storyline is crap and not much scenes with the Thunderbirds it never gets old for my mind and It brought a brilient well casted movie to the ones whom loved the TV series and their offspring to bring down the tradition of loving internatial rescue all over again
April 19, 2014
An insult to both the 1960's TV series and my childhood, Thunderbirds has none of delightful trademarks of the show, and, strangely, almost no actual rescues. A terrible story and mostly rubbish cast don't help either.
Terrible.
½ April 18, 2014
A very bad film adaptation of a beloved TV show. It introduces brand new characters who nobody wanted to see and a messed up story line. However kids will like this film because of the cool spaceships and fighting. I really liked it when I was younger though, infact, I loved it when I was a kid.
½ March 26, 2014
Only decent thing to come from this was the Busted song.
March 16, 2014
Not at all a fun time.
January 24, 2014
It's been a while since I watched it but I remember liking it as a kid. It's somewhat stupid, but harmless fun for younger people.
October 19, 2013
It's a great way to remember things of the past as the old television series and Billy Idol playing the John Tracy
October 3, 2013
A corporate money-machine interpretation of a classic serious, devoid of everything that made the original series popular and desperately pandering to the easily-manipulated tween audience