La tigre e la neve (The Tiger and the Snow) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La tigre e la neve (The Tiger and the Snow) Reviews

June 12, 2016
If there is anything that this movie proves, it is that critics are idiots. I have watched this film several times with different people, and we loved it every time. This is a tragic-comedy that is relatable and inspiring. Poetic love amid the mundane horrors of war and military occupation. Keats and Nietzsche, flowers and tanks.
½ November 10, 2015
Roberto Benigni repeats the same formula of his bittersweet masterpiece La Vita é Bella to an exasperating degree, which makes this film appear quite unoriginal and unnecessary, but even so it is funny, touching and has a beautiful ending.
November 4, 2015
Benigni's diamonds!!!!
September 5, 2015
Really? only 17% R.T? I know these reviews are my personal thoughts on the movie, but really I think this movie offered a great amount of sharp and clever laughs as well as having it's moments of tenderness.
½ October 15, 2014
+que poética... calló en mis manos porque la tenía mi papa entre sus películas, la vi sin luz y la disfruté un mundo...
June 10, 2014
I believe this is the greatest love film I have ever seen.
May 15, 2014
Roberto Benigni must be a pretty good director/actor. This movie looks to be a pretty good comedy.
March 3, 2014
I was excited to see La tigre e la neve (The Tiger and the Snow) because I love Roberto Benigni, but I knew not to get my hopes up too high because it wasn't critically well received and I knew I couldn't compare it to his cinematic masterpiece La Vita E Bella (Life is Beautiful). That problem gave me standards too high for Johnny Stecchino (Johnny Toothpick), but even though critics hated his version of Pinocchio I loved it so I didn't expect to dislike it either.

La tigre e la neve wasn't really what I expected at all. It proved short on comedy and was rarely funny, succeeding more in the dramatic area. Yet it felt at times like it tried to be a comedy, but its sequence of pre-Baghdad romantic comedy is lacking in humour in originality. It all feels too forced, and so until the story kicks off into its Baghdad setting the film just doesn't have enough positive qualities to really go anywhere.
Also, and this is only problematic because I don't speak Italian, the actors in La tigre e la neve speak a bit too fast and since I had to read subtitles to keep up with it so that the acting was genuine instead of being as savaged as it was in his previous film Pinocchio where the dubbing was the worst possible in existence. It's somewhat difficult to keep up with the pace the actors talk at for a while, and the more slow readers of the crowds may find that on that basis single handily that La tigre e la neve is not a film they have enjoyed.
Also, the story suffers from the fact that much of the context isn't clarified until the last scene in the film which leaves an unsatisfying ambiguity to the film.
And lastly, the plot of La tigre e la neve is quite a retread of the story in La Vita e Bella, and while that is undeniably one of the single greatest movies I have ever seen in my life it means that the originality in La tigre e la neve isn't all that much unfortunately. Roberto Benigni and Vincenzo Cerami manage to write a few surprises into the story here and there, but the story is largely a retread which is pretty strange because La Vita e Bella was an eccentric film that walked a tricky line in the first place, so to re-explore that material is to like a literal example of reinventing the wheel, albeit to a lesser extent than the concept actually is.
But even though the material has many bumps in it, riding the exceptional directing talent that Roberto Benigni helms, La tigre e la neve succeeds in many areas.
Once the story changes its context to Baghdad, it kicks off. It becomes compelling and meaningful, and from that point on the protagonist becomes a character easy to care about following through his misadventures in occupied Baghdad during the Iraq war. Eventually it evolves into a passionate romantic drama against the complex dramatic backdrop of facing death, and while it is only sporadically funny La tigre e la neve does manage to ties its story together about an hour in and transition into becoming a better film than it seemed to be at first, and much better than it could have been. It isn't as funny as you would hope, but there is no denying the effect of the dramatic themes as well as some of the humourous moments such as the satirical look at American troops. Many Americans deemed it offensive, but since it was their own troops who invaded Iran they should be willing to face whatever criticism and satire they are dealt for the actions of their military and government. I'm probably simplifying things, but El tigre e la neve is barely as offensive as many melodramatic critics will tell you, and it isn't half as bad either because only Roberto Benigni can handle a plot that many have deemed "ludicrious" and make it actually believable.
And visually, La tigre e la neve is a great experience.
The scenery is flawlessly convincing of its setting, and considering the real drama going on during the occupation of Baghdad it makes the whole experience a lot more convincing and therefore more dramatically effective, and it is all shot with some beautifully smooth cinematography which is astounding in quality and is strongly atmospheric. And combined with the beautiful Academy Award nomination worthy musical score and a song by Tom Waits in his cameo, it succeeds from an auditory perspective as well as a visual one making it an all round successfully atmospheric venture into the heart of themes of war and love in one of the most complex fashions that only Robert Benigni himself could actually handle with such gusto and success.
Roberto Benigni's lead performance in La tigre e la neve proved to be packed with the same kind of talent that won him the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance in La Vita e Bella, even though it doesn't come as close since I deem that to be the greatest acting performance by anyone in the history of cinema. In La tigre e la neve he has all the appropriate energy for the dramatic context of the film while also maintaining his natural comedic heart as he journeys through the story, and he directs himself to another grand performance.
Nicoletta Braschi's performance doesn't have much screen time, but when she is around her beautiful smile lively face manages to add a lot of spirit to the film, and her chemistry with Roberto Benigni is good.

All in all, La Tigre e la neve fails to match up to the immensely successful heights reached by Roberto Benigni's Academy Award winning feature La Vita e Bella, but once it improves in its second act it becomes a memorable experience as a complicated story and a visually striking film.
January 9, 2014
the most beautiful live action movie ever
½ October 13, 2013
What was funny and genuine in Life is beautiful becomes boring and unrealistic in The tiger and the snow. There is only one small twist in the end that might compensate for the two hours spent watching the film.
½ September 22, 2013
watching the film, I did feel it was very disappointing compared to the previous masterpiece by Benigni, "Life is Beautiful". but what I really enjoyed about it was the sweet and innocent comedy of the film. there was no gross out humor, no dirty jokes, just clean jokes. I like the film. it has its flaws, but anything that has a Tom Waits song as the main theme, as well as having Roberto Benigni as the star, I'll take it.
April 19, 2013
no matter what ... you are my best film ever ..damn you critics ... so stupid !!
March 22, 2013
Le Tigre et la Neige - The Tiger and the Snow is a marvelous, warm yet bittersweet comedic look at life, love and war. Roberto Begnigni with his muse Nicoletta Braschi are a couple who are estranged and have two daughters.

Jean Reno plays a friend of theirs who returns to Bagdad and comes to a tragic end. Recociliation may occur after the wife is seriously injured while in Bagdad with the friend. The husband comes to her side and shows desperate hope that she'll recover and she does but apparently unaware that he was at her side until much later when back home and we see the moment she revived occur in this very different context and her realization of something she remembered and/or experienced. 10/10

I disagree with alleged critics G. Allen Johnson, V.A. Musetto, Kevin Thomas, and the others who cannot seem to find anything positive to say about this film. Fire all of them.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
November 25, 2012
Watched this movie in Italian class. And I thought it was really good. The scenery in this film is so beautiful. If you don't like romantic comedies then as an american who has never been to Italy or Iraq you will defineteley enjoy the visually striking scenery.The story is touching, and a few comedic scenes keeps the movie light and not too tragic. It also has a really good twist in the end. Great romantic film to watch with a S.O. I also love the theme song by tom waits. I don't understand why the critics were so negative about this film. Italian cinema definitely has way better standards then American films. This movie is a 10/10.
November 17, 2012
A notable example of a movie that the critics got totally wrong.
½ November 6, 2012
This movie is the picture of unconditional love and very well made. Roberto Benigni is a romantic movie-making genius. His wife is the leading actress in all of his films.
½ October 12, 2012
the ending was great. The begining was quite confusin., i thought benigni was cheating on his girl friend. But actually, he doesnt have another girlfriend or cheating neither. He married with the girl he loves.
October 4, 2012
This is such a well made film. Chick flick, hell. It's just a great movie.