Triple 9 Reviews

• May 31, 2019

The trailer was better than the movie. It dragged a majority of the time, some scenes caught me off guard but the characters just seemed to be reading their lines and nothing else. Woody gave the best performance from the entire cast he was funny, smart, and tough when he needed to be. This is a good movie to rent once..

• May 16, 2019

I dont understand why so many do not like this film. I would place it on par with The Departed. It is an incredibly dark film, bordering noir. Yet, at the very end, every character receives the justice they deserve. The "bad guys" are the main characters, and they fail, which is a rare angle for a film to take.

• Dec 24, 2018

A macho man crapfest. All of the men suffer from swollen balls. It's boring, confusing, and just plain sucks.

• Nov 24, 2018

Your typical bad cop movie, not bad, worth the time, no surprises you already know just what is going to happen and it does.

• Oct 28, 2018

Bleak and disturbing, Triple 9 wastes an amazing cast on a lame heist plot.

Bleak and disturbing, Triple 9 wastes an amazing cast on a lame heist plot.

• Oct 09, 2018

Great action movie! Kate is sooo good I didn't even recognized her until after the credits!!

• Oct 04, 2018

I'm a John Hillcoat fan. I was a bit wary as the setting was so different to his other movies, bank robery, cops and gangster in contemporary USA. I loved this film. Music was amazing. It gripped me from the start to the finish. I love his films so real gritty look. I still get the he b jee b s when I think about that seen with the teeth in the bag. Go John Hillcoat go!

• Aug 12, 2018

The cast is absolutely stellar (Ejiofor and Winslet's performances are superb) and the cinematography gives off an appropriately grim feel that fits in well with the violent, bloody action. That's about as good as it gets, though. The characters are severely under-developed with too many of them vying for screen time, giving the audience little to go on if they want us to care for anyone; and it's much too slow to move, with the pay off at the end being non-existent and a complete let-down. The story itself revolving around corrupt cops definitely had potential with its exploration of morals -- the complexities and the limits to which each character is willing to go and their justifications - but in the end, it's just too stale and fails to engage as much as you'd hope. I can't say that it's terrible, it's just very underwhelming.

• May 31, 2018

Triple 9 is truly astounding. I can’t remember the last time I saw a movie that managed to do so little with so much. What do I mean? Well, just take a moment and look at the cast list on this film. It is packed to the gills with big name talent, and yet none of them gets to do anything special. Also, they had the concept of making a heist movie and even created some justifiable motivation for at least one of the crooks, but they sucked any of the fun out of it and made it a gritty “realistic” drama. Many of these problems should be blamed on Matt Cook, the screenwriter, because the movie lacks focus. As an audience we are left scrounging for anyone who isn’t a duplicitous murderer to see as our protagonist. It’s not until much later that an innocent man is introduced, but Casey Affleck was the wrong actor to put in that role because he lacks the personality for us to gravitate towards him. The heists aren’t imaginative or interesting, what they are stealing is not noteworthy, and there are only two heists in the whole film. Kate Winslet struggles with a horrendous Russian accent (but who cares since her name isn’t even proper Russian,) and Woody Harrelson throws on a needless southern drawl that almost made him laughable. The best scene in Triple 9 is one where they show a couple of the lead cops working with SWAT to apprehend a killer. This sequence had excitement, tension, and a realistic shoot-out with a few surprises. If this was where the plot was focused more often, and they dropped the whole Russian mob/bank heist nonsense, I think Triple 9 might have actually lived up to its potential. Sadly, it does not at all. So don’t let the star power fool you, Triple 9 is not worth your time.

• Apr 20, 2018

Slow, boring, convoluted script, bad acting.

Slow, boring, convoluted script, bad acting.