True Grit Reviews

• Nov 02, 2019

Amazing writing and character development. The Coen brothers never fail to impress

• Oct 25, 2019

A remarkable film, totally engrossing. Phenomenal performances by all, especially the young Hailee Steinfeld. Jeff Bridges is fantastic, too. The Coen Brothers could have done one of their satirical, ironic twists with this story, but instead, they were faithful to the 1968 novel. The old American language, much of which is taken from the book, is absolutely fascinating. In my case, using subtitles helped me get all of the dialogue, especially Jeff Bridges' lines. He is so inarticulate, subtitles help. His performance is incredible. He surpasses John Wayne in the original 1969 movie. This is one of the best western movies of all time. The Coens' cinematographer, Roger Deakins, is brilliant, making the film a feast for the eyes as well as the mind. Brilliant filmmaking. Do not miss it.

• Sep 26, 2019

I got bored and didn't even get through the first half of it.

I got bored and didn't even get through the first half of it.

• Sep 17, 2019

Mostly not very entertaining trash. There were a few times that this movie rose above mildly entertaining trash, but overall, this was just not a good film. Hailee Steinfeld is a young girl looking for revenge for her murdered father. She is a feisty, precocious little girl who is oh-so-lovable because she is a feisty, precocious little girl. Jeff Bridges is the old, hard-drinking, rough-around-the-edges curmudgeon who is oh-so-lovable because he's an old, hard-drinking, rough-around-the-edges curmudgeon. The old, curmudgeonly drunkard helps the young girl on her quest for revenge. Matt Damon shows up in this movie and just utterly sucks -- he is NOT oh-so-lovable because, well, he's Matt Damon. Josh Brolin is the bad guy and he is probably one of the lamest villains in any movie ever. The way the characters talk in this film is so annoying -- it reminds me of certain people I've known who love the sounds of their own voices and love listening to themselves yap, yap, yap. I never cared about the little girl or the old drunk guy with mush mouth or the utterly useless Matt Damon character. *Spoilers* Near the end of the movie, after the girl gets bitten by a snake, the old, drunk, mush mouth guy rides a horse to death to try and get the girl to a doctor. He shoots the horse in its head after it keels over from exhaustion. Then old, drunk mush mouth guy picks the girl up in his arms and runs to the nearest town to try and save the girl until he too is exhausted. Then, he pulls out his gun and fires it to signal to the townspeople that he needs assistance. I swear, when he pulled out that gun, I wanted him to shoot himself in the head. Or, shoot the little girl in the head. *End Spoilers* Yeah, I didn't really care about the characters in this movie at all or the little girl's quest for revenge. The weak, underdeveloped villain didn't do anything for me either. This movie was mostly just made in America trash.

• Sep 07, 2019

True Grit came at a time when westerns weren't looked at to be of any service or value. When most of cinema is riddled with sequels, or superhero stuff, there was talk of a remake that had floated in. I have known of it, and with the remake that had passed forty years, it gave it some distance from it. Of which we have had a ton of remakes that keep repeating the same stuff over again. Three versions of Spider-man within twenty years. Enough is enough. But this film as I watched it, it was somber. It was breathtaking. Humorous even. It seemed grounded and made the cinema come alive and it was a breath of fresh air. Not only were the leads compelling, that of Jeff Bridges, and Matt Damon paired up but also Haillee Steinfeld just broke it in. Some parts were shocking, other parts were highly questionable, but it all made sense at the end. Not only is it a story about revenge, we also have a story about finding her father one way or another. It didn't tell that, but it was there. All around, this story was superb. I recommend this fully. Out of everything that came out from 2010, it was one of the best films. Highly recommend it.

• Sep 01, 2019

That old western town looks fantastic. Looks genuine in nature. The hanging scene proves that racism has been around for a very long time when they don't let the Native American speak his peace right before he is hanged. This girl is every mature for her age. Seems like she's had to grow up quicker than most kids. Really good actor. Jeff Bridges is easily one of my favorite actors. You can instantly tell him apart from anyone else with his unique and charming voice. The dialogue is witty and entertaining to listen to. This movie goes to show how gritty the times were back then. I really liked the whole dynamic between Cogburn and Mattie especially towards the end. It was kind of like an uncle and niece relationship the way he cared about her. Real great movie.

• Aug 20, 2019

Beautiful performances (especially by Bridges) and classic, nuanced Coen Bros direction and writing make this a unique and enjoyable movie that relishes in things unexpected. As a western, you would expect this to be all about hard men, gunfights, crime, and alcoholism. Although these elements are ever present, what makes True Grit truly beautiful and heartfelt is the authenticity of its characters and the relationships between them- how they develop (and devolve), how they are put to the test, and how real friendship, empathy, and humor can be found in the most unlikely of places.

• Aug 15, 2019

One of the greatest remakes of all time!

One of the greatest remakes of all time!

• Aug 15, 2019

Gripping and compelling and an interesting character piece make True Grit another winning hit from the Coen Brothers.

• Aug 13, 2019

Simple, but suitably unpredictable.

Simple, but suitably unpredictable.