Vanilla Sky Reviews

• 3d ago

This movie wants to be a lot of things. However, deciding on having its barrage of amazing actors/actresses be subjected to 1 dimension characters, as well as, a familiar plot that’s been done better before. Kurt Russell and Tom Cruise do absolutely superb but you have to wonder with a couple of other simple changes what this movie REALLY could’ve been.

• Apr 13, 2021

I haven't seen the Spanish original, but definitely will after this. I can only assume that people hate on this one so much because the original was better, so I cannot wait to watch that one. I just found the movie's concept so engrossing and daring that I could not help but be swept off of my feet. The soundtrack fit well, the visuals were noticeably good, and everything felt really solid. I'm not entirely in agreement with the panned acting performances connected to this one. Surely there were more deserving nominations for a Razzie than Penelope Cruz? I wouldn't say that she steals the show, but you feel a sense of dreaminess that Cruise's character projects into her, and this really makes the film. Cameron Diaz, for what it's worth, does an incredible job in what must have been a difficult role to wrap her head around, judging from what it was like to watch. Tom Cruise did well for me as a spoiled rich man having the rug pulled out from under him. Kurt Russell was an interesting side character, and it's nice to see huge people today like Tilda Swinton and Michael Shannon in the mix with comparatively smaller roles than what we would see today. I adore open-ended films that allow input from the audience. This is among one of the most open-ended that I have experienced whilst retaining elements of coherence enough not to be off-putting. The viewer can reasonably cut the film at several points and stay on or off-piste with what the film's characters conclude, and there is evidence for just about every view. This might be lazy for some, but I see levels of care in Crowe's direction to ensure that the film avoids being wrapped up in a perfect bow to guard its narrative power. The true charm to this film is that no matter what the chosen ending or reality, the messages and themes of treating people with care, holding your loved ones close, and embracing both the positives and negatives of life always remain. How about that?

• Apr 07, 2021

I watched this movie a couple weeks ago and I just can't get it out of my head. I sat down to watch this with my girlfriend on Netflix thinking it was a romantic comedy. She fell asleep about 30 minutes in but I was fully invested from the very first seconds of the movie with "open your eyes". It truly is a beautiful movie and in some ways it made me open my eyes to things in my own life. It holds up very well for being 20 years old too

• Mar 28, 2021

Confusing and muddled, with a disappointing twist. The writing just felt silly and unbelievable for the most part. It tried to be all philosophical towards the end but ultimately failed. It would have been better without the twist in my opinion. The characters also felt unrealistic, and the pacing could have been better as it did drag on. However, the cast put in decent performances, and there were several creepy scenes. Tom Cruise did better than I expected playing a disturbed individual as opposed to his regular action hero type role. The makeup for David Aames was great, but some of the visual effects are dated now. Then the cinematography and soundtrack were fine.

• Mar 21, 2021

It has a good soundtrack? I really respect what "Vanilla Sky" is trying to do, weaving a complicated narrative, but it just doesn't gel. Perhaps a different editor could have built a more enjoyable experience out of the pieces. Even though I am a huge fan of Tom Cruise movies, he is just too "Tom Cruisie" in this one. I give it a C, if you've already seen the best, but you insist on watching a movie, try this one out.

• Mar 02, 2021

I guess Crowe's team up with Tom Cruise was not one of his finest hours. Too much ambition but very little substance.

• Jan 30, 2021

Ahead of it's time speculative sci-fi drama: meta-ish unreliable narrator and concepts of reality. A victim of both being a remake of a European original, and being a film with Tom Cruise at nearly his most cockiest. 'Aber los ojos' WAS good, but by the nature of it's budget couldn't convey the extreme wealth of Citizen D!ldo. Some very affecting moments as realisation dawns.

• Nov 18, 2020

Difficult to understand and completely confused, Vanilla Sky requires to be watched more than once.

• Nov 16, 2020

"Vanilla Sky" is another good example of a movie, which was tore apart by critics, but well received by the audience. Tom Cruise plays one of his best roles ever, starting from transferring all the emotions a person can have when actually falling in love to when a person is in massive catastrophe. There are many ways to interpret the film's plot, but everyone can agree that it is very engaging, at some points confusing and thought provoking. The film is very memorable, because of how well it explains everything in the end, but of how not much you know in the middle. You get confused with the main character and you try to solve the riddle yourself, only to fail every single time. Yes, there are a few plot holes, but they are very little and can be barely seen. Penelope Cruz also plays greatly and looks very well with Tom Cruise. The ending, besides making you think about how the movie could be interpreted also may cause you tears of joy. It should not be spoiled, so I would recommend you watching it yourself. Although the film starts off as a basic melodrama, it escalates quickly into something greater and breathtaking. An 8/10, fantastic sci-fi drama that I can not find an equivalent of.

• Oct 06, 2020

Aims to be profound and surreal but ultimately ends up a confusing mess, despite Cruise's dedication to his performance. With its focus on a crumbling relationship, false memories, and questionable reality, Vanilla Sky feels like an early, unsuccessful attempt to create what would ultimately become Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The soundtrack is the exception, diverse and playing well in contrast to particular moments of the narrative. (2/5)