Viy Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

Very interesting approach to horror.

Very interesting approach to horror.

• Oct 27, 2018

Viy is a Soviet horror movie adaption of Nicolai Gogol's short story of the same name, which itself is heavily influenced by dark Ukrainian folklore tales. It is about a young philosopher who is forced to pray for three nights for a witch he previously killed. Due to its great atmosphere, the powerful performances - that are, however, mostly apparent in the latter half of the movie - and the eerie score and chanting of the people, the movie is a great example of a low-brow, yet effective horror movie. Full review: https://movie-discourse.blogspot.com/2018/10/viy-su-1967.html?view=flipcard

• Nov 15, 2014

Slow and rather dull, until the end when it picks up and has some of the strangest surreal, creative scenes I've seen in awhile.

• Feb 22, 2014

Still one of the scariest movies ever

Still one of the scariest movies ever

• Dec 15, 2013

A good horror film from Russia. Natalya Varley was perfect in her role.

A good horror film from Russia. Natalya Varley was perfect in her role.

• Nov 02, 2013

The best Soviet horror of all times!

The best Soviet horror of all times!

• Apr 19, 2013

What a total bore of a movie.This is supposed to be the first ever Russian Horror movie? I thought I was watching a russian live action disney movie with some monks and a "witch" in it. Still not sure what all the fuss is with this movie or why diluted people find this to be scary and good. Good thing I watched it for free...I think I need to give foreign movies a break for awhile because the last 5 or 6 I've watched have been total crap. Kinda burned out on them, and I won't be watching another russian movie anytime soon. I will give this a star and a half for the wacky weird ending.

• Oct 26, 2012

Adequately freak-ay.

Adequately freak-ay.

• Oct 12, 2012

Viy is by many stated as the very first horror film ever created in the Soviet Union. It's based on the Ukrainian 19th century story by Nikolai Gogol. It's the tale about the young seminary student named Khoma Brutus who's send out from his studies to go to a village to perform exorcism on a young maiden who just died but still haunts the village. Her father gives Khoma the task of spending three night alone with her corpse inside the church, which something of course is all other than a nice experience. Looking at Viy with today's eyes, it's special effects are poor, and indeed with some very laughable blue-screen effects that is kind of awful, even at that time. But then again it's just funny, even though I feel that it's all done in a studio, which kind of destroy the experience. But it's still some very scary moments that would probably traumatize young children, but is a horror treat for the adult audience. I specially liked Natalya Varley's performance as the possessed girl. It's really scary. It is in fact a spooky film, and exhilarating horror film in true Tim Burton style, with some boring moments, but overall a horror film that passes the test as a horror film, but not passes the test of time. Thumbs up.

• Jun 21, 2012

What a great little surprise this was. A Russian horror film from the 60s! It's only 70 minutes but it's devilishly enchanting. The story of a monk and a witch has never been told with such charm, creepiness and whimsical mischief as it is here. The effects are beautiful and remind me of something out of a Cocteau film. It borrows elements from Haxan and some similarities to Kwaidan. Yet, there's a certain level of humor to everything as well. I loved the third act. It's totally worth tracking down for fans of horror or fantasy. Undoubtedly, it must have terrified Russian children growing up in the 60s.