Volver Reviews

• Oct 21, 2019

This has quirkiness and cleverness, but doesn't seem the hilarity is as advertised. Although they found some good actors. I do like how it starts as a story of magical realism and spirituality with an extremely brutal circumstance, but then twists into a clever prosaic narrative.

• Oct 15, 2019

If possible, an Almodovar even more like a soap opera or a photo novel, mama's boy and matriarchal, I don't know in the name of what expiatory masochism a male should watch and appreciate it. (Mauro Lanari)

• May 18, 2019

Após ver vários filmes de Almodóvar em sequencia, faço as seguintes considerações: CRÃ?TICA - ele repete a sua fórmula (que à (C) ótima), mas fica uma impressão de "mais do mesmo". Ou seja, encontrará as famosas ironias, cenas coloridas, irônicas e ligações de histórias paralelas e taboos. Alà (C)m disso, a história à (C) um pouco cansativa e não me prendeu muito. ELOGÃ?OS - após ler um comentário aqui, consegui enxergar bem algo que passava despercebido. O filme trata muito bem do tema PERDÃO e as diversas formas que este se manifesta ao longo dos ricos personagens que o diretor sabe criar. Falando neste assunto, há de se fazer uma menção especial para Penà (C)lope Cruz, que alà (C)m de uma ótima atuação estava linda a ponto de prender a atenção ao longo de todo filme.

• Nov 07, 2018

Volver is phenomenal drama of the highest caliber! Volver (2006) takes familial drama and society's pressures on women to its peak suspenseful breaking point. Director Pedro Almodóvar uses long tracking shots along streets ways and down hallways, matched with clever image matching of verbal motifs with visual parallels for optimal Spanish aesthetic. Almodóvar's eye for background detail match his sense of Spanish style, patterns, and fashion. His juxtaposition of the living and the deceased is touching to say the least. Doubling as both director and writer, Almodóvar's clever dialogue includes euphemisms for death, returns, family, sexuality, and mourning with effective glee and wit. The plot of Volver by itself is brilliant, deconstructing loss and grief, all while celebrating renewal and acceptance. Volver is exceptional in its realistic drama and surprisingly funny black humor. I sincerely feel that Volver is as good as screenplays for cinema get. Volver uses vibrant purples and blood red color schemes to bring out the themes of the film. The neat editing of blending and fading scenes together is so fluid that you only remark the beautiful way these moments affect the audience into a new emotion. Similarly, Almodóvar carefully and lovingly cradles his images with flamboyant and moving Spanish flamenco music from composer Alberto Iglesias. His score swirls in a comforting haze all around Volver's touching scenes. Furthermore, the acting is the real draw here for Volver is filled with outstanding performances. Namely, Penélope Cruz is absolutely mesmerizing as Raimunda. Her dramatic powerhouse performance builds empathy in the audience and gives off such an awe inspiring sense of female strength and perseverance. Cruz is lovely in her stunning sweaters and wildly wavy hair, and smoky makeup. Alongside her ludicrous cleavage and striking appearance, Cruz delivers her tender portrayal of a mother who would do anything to protect her daughter. I found Penélope Cruz to be the most moving part of Volver. I would go so far as to say that Volver contains Cruz's greatest performance. She is really wonderful in Volver. Speaking of which, Yohana Cobo, is really believable as Cruz' traumatized daughter Paula. Her outward strength gives way to her deeply affecting facial acting in her eyes and softer lines towards her daring mother. Cobo is as skillful of a young actress as the more experienced actresses surrounding her in Volver. Lastly, I must mention Lola Dueñas as the oddly distraught and nervous sister to Cruz: Sole. Her frightened acting is as compelling as her dejected depiction of a lonely woman left with no one. In all, Volver is my favorite film ever from Spain. Pedro Almodóvar's mastery of thoughtful direction and Penélope Cruz all time great acting performance culminate in an affecting drama movie and a quintessential art film. Please watch Volver.

• May 27, 2018

Volver has its emotional sequences and it's phenomenally acted across the board with the standout being Oscar-nominated Penelope Cruz who was unexpectedly fantastic here and delivering the performance of a lifetime. But the film features such ridiculous, entirely implausible twists and turns as its entire story is frustratingly soapy leading to what is arguably an overly extended telenovela episode.

• Oct 19, 2017

A loving portrait of the importance of inner strength and grace, and the dangers that secrets can have on a family.

• Sep 20, 2017

Great movie! Wonderful acting, brilliant cinematography, very complex plot, very memorable characters. I enjoyed it, but I thought it was too confusing. The family ties were so intricate that it seemed like every plot twist was hard to understand. I thought the plot was brilliant, but very hard to follow for the average moviegoer.

• Jul 22, 2017

'Volver' is a multiple work. It's the quintessential accomplishment of Almodóvar's style, a pure, mature film made by a master and his favourite actresses, Penélope Cruz, Lola Dueñas and Carmen Maura. All put together, their talents, in service of a moving generational family story, form a vividly colourful drama about women, neighbourhood, love, guilt, and above all, the past. Some scenes are extraodinarily touching and the film comes to a whole beautifully. Better, as its title suggests, 'Volver' returns in our minds and grows to become more and more understood. Shortly, it's a delight for both our senses and our sensibilities.

• Jul 09, 2017

Outo, mutta katsottava elokuva. 8)

Outo, mutta katsottava elokuva. 8)

• May 19, 2017

There is much to recommend in this film, particularly Penelope Cruz and the rest of the cast but there were a few key elements that I feel didn't work (for me). The most noteable of these was the unintentional killing of Cruz's perverted husband and subsequent disposal of him in a freezer dumped underground. The character's disappearance had no baring on the plot whatsoever, so why was it in there in the first place?