Wet Hot American Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wet Hot American Summer Reviews

½ May 31, 2017
3.5/5. Funny, but extremely weird.
May 22, 2017
Great cast, some hilarious bits but overall, probably no loss if were to miss this movie.
May 12, 2017
The year is 1981, a looser time for all. It?s the last day of camp at Camp Firewood (real original name), and camp director Beth (Janeane Garofalo) is trying to keep the camp running. Meanwhile, many other camp stories go on, some of which are left unresolved, others are wrapped into a neat little bow. There?s romance, teen drama, and just plain weirdness throughout. The plot moves as casually as a summer day, which works for it because like a hot summer day, the plot moves this way, that way and every other way. There are a lot of characters they follow, and some storylines go unresolved, and the climax comes from out of nowhere, which is both as absurd as classic summer vacations can be and just plain dumb at the same time. Look, the plot?s a mess in terms of coherence, but the pace reflecting summer days works out. Most adult viewers will be able to relate to the main characters in some way, whether it?s the laid back guys, the girls, Professor Henry Newman (David Hyde Pierce), or any of the kids, because this is a classic summer vacation movie. The main characters you really care about are Beth and Henry, but everyone else just takes up time that could be spent on them. Otherwise, character development is weak due to too many characters they try to focus on, but some of their arcs go unresolved, or just feel shoehorned in. However, the film was hilarious, whether it was the wild dialogue from Gene (Christopher Meloni) and his ?friend? the can of peas (H. Jon Benjamin). There?s plenty of sight gags and zany dialogue to keep you entertained, even if you think afterward ?that was really stupid.? Theodore Shapiro and Craig Wedren make an orchestral score, but with great 80s songs put to good use, we don?t hear much of that. All the music sets the mood and is appropriate to the scene. And there were also a lot of swears. Wow, that was as random as this movie, which may be the unique charm that doesn?t sink my rating of it.
April 7, 2017
Like Role Models and Stella, it has its moments of hilarity, mostly involving Paul Rudd, but is mostly painfully unfunny.
March 16, 2017
Didn't know what life was before this movie
½ January 22, 2017
Though containing a bunch of future stars and having some pure comedic moments, Wet Hot American Summer ultimately lacks solid characters to actually make anyone care about its story, which went nuts upon itself.
January 11, 2017
the second best of this type, the best when is dumb movie, only behind dazed and confused - 20/12/2016
November 14, 2016
One of the 20 best comedy movies of the 2000s.
October 9, 2016
Absolutely delightful, silly, stupid, and constant fun, this movie was a perfect parody within a parody. Is it an Oscar-winning blockbuster? Of course not. Is it a perfect low-budget indie romp? You bet. Watch it alone, watch it with your friends, watch it with your parents, watch it with your little siblings. It's a constant good time with so much cheesiness and goofiness to make it the perfect comedy for the person who just wants to have a good time. I am head-over-heels in love with this nonsense.
August 7, 2016
absolutely despise this movie the first time I saw it. It is now one of my favorite movies
July 17, 2016
The jokes are few-and-far between; and when they do land it generates nothing more than a chuckle.
July 6, 2016
A ridiculous, over-the-top comedy... I guess the overall ridiculousness is what makes it work.
June 20, 2016
After watching how awful was criticized, I was curious about this movie. Having a great cast in this day. But on that day the not so known cast was doing a satire of other movies which no one really seem to understood. It has some funny moments and it's an enjoyable ride, with some interesting characters, if you don't expect much you will get a fun ride.
½ June 9, 2016
plenty of good actors that dont give a flying funk in this movie. U see two men get it on, a kid thrown out of a van in the middle of no where, a kid drown, an old lady robbed and good old herion use. Plenty to feel ok about laughing at in this movie tho. Make it ya beeswax to watch it one day when you are in a silly mood.
½ May 18, 2016
Okay... I don't know what all the fuss has been all about. That wasn't very good at all. So many of the juvenile, cringeworthy jokes just fall completely flat. It's just a lame attempt to just do another Meatballs clone. The cast is great and they're very enthusiastic, so that helps, but ultimately they're just wasted here. I think this might be a lot funnier if I was really drunk or high, but sorry, that doesn't make a good comedy...
½ May 7, 2016
It's such a thin line between clever and stupid. Wet Hot American Summer's director David Wain seem to have found the right balance with the help of his brilliant cast.
May 2, 2016
So outrageous it that it just plain rules. Be proud of who you are.
April 20, 2016
Deliciously stupid haha.
½ April 10, 2016
On of the worst timesucks.
April 1, 2016
One of my all-time favorite comedies. It gets better every time I watch it.