Wet Hot American Summer Reviews

• Aug 24, 2019

Absolute garbage. How does crap like this even get made? I don't think I even cracked a smile during the 1/2 of the film I could tolerate. Total waste of time.

• Jul 04, 2019

Insanely funny, but probably not for you.

Insanely funny, but probably not for you.

• May 27, 2019

I laughed too hard during this movie. The insanity never ends.

I laughed too hard during this movie. The insanity never ends.

• May 15, 2019

It's the best/most star studded B movie comedy.

It's the best/most star studded B movie comedy.

• Apr 10, 2019

Garofalo, Rudd, Showalter, Poehler, David Hyde-Pierce and the rest of the cast are a collection of very funny writers and performers who've prove that all the talent in the world can still make a mediocre comedy. Even the critics who liked it had to be creative in the description. See, they know that can't write things like "Funniest comedy of 2001" or "and instant classic." So they say things like, "Absurdly-irreverent' or "a cult classic" instead. It's simple: The only people who recommend this crap-burger are the same people who think Billy Madison. They're more Benny Hill than Money Python... I get what they were going for with this on. It's a parody set in the 80's, that's sort of Meatballs, but with Camp Crystal Lake's counselors from Friday the 13th... It's an original idea and has some funny scenes, but there are just too many confusing and disjointed scenes that constantly stop the movie in its tracks. As soon as I was laughing about a cleverly written scene, another would come on and be insultingly stupid. Oh look, the "crazy" camp cook is talking to a can of soup. (sigh) Oh look, two counselors were too busy making out to notice the kid drown in the lake. (eyes roll) Some people don't notice when comedy is being lazy for cheap laughs. They think the TV show "Two Broke Girls" and :comedies" like Billy Madison and Joe Dirt were funny. They might like this one. The rest of you, move on. Btw, it's good to know that this POS didn't end Bradley Cooper's career before it started..

• Mar 12, 2019

I know that this film is a self aware send-up of 80s sex comedies. I know it's purposely bad. I know the story is purposely absurd and pointless, but that doesn't necessarily make it funny. It's painfully unfunny to be quite honest.

• Nov 29, 2018

One of the best comedic ensemble casts. Debuting in 2001, Wet Hot American Summer wasn't a big hit upon its initial release but quickly gained a cult following on home video due to its absurdist comedy. More interesting is the film has incredibly talented comedic actors at the top of their game before they were household names. Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler and Elizabeth Banks to name a few that really nail the over-the-top acting and silliness-and is one of the first movies showcasing how naturally funny Paul Rudd is. Absurdist gags at their best. It's not a surprise that Wet Hot American Summer was not a big hit with audiences upon its release. The humor is very specific and appeals to a certain kind of audience. From a man dry-humping a refrigerator to a montage of the counselors going into town for groceries, escalating to them robbing an old lady and being strung out on heroin, then returning to camp cheering and smiling, the film cannonballs into the absurd, unapologetically and often. Once you embrace what it is, it's a hilarious ride like nothing you've seen before. It's a great parody of 80's summer camp films. The film can get away with bizarre gags because it's a brilliant send-up of popular summer camp films of the 1980's like Meatballs. Director David Wain has an excellent eye for cliché and takes that to extremes throughout like the entire cast being in their 30's, but they play teenage camp counselors-a jab at Hollywood's practice of casting people much older to play 16-year-olds. And as with most summer camp films, Camp Firewood seems to be a haven for the counselors to constantly ignore the kids- and pranks and bullying - with no consequence. There are points where counselors make out with each other while kids drown and scream for help behind them and then it's just onto the next scene. This underlying darkness to many jokes make this one of my favorite comedies of all time.

• Aug 27, 2018

TV show is actually better. Still funny.

TV show is actually better. Still funny.

• Aug 26, 2018

The intention is understandable with a nice cast to refresh a narrative structure and fun 80s style setting, till it all got squandered when trying to excessively prove its self-declaration - like a hard constipation - as a parody that's actually both parallels to Adam Sandler's worst and an omen to the now lost will of the genre. (C)

• Aug 21, 2018

Earlier adopter of absurdist comed. Way ahead of its time!

Earlier adopter of absurdist comed. Way ahead of its time!