Winter Soldier Reviews

• Nov 03, 2018

An irreproachable, rousing anti-war film. One of the best in the genre!

An irreproachable, rousing anti-war film. One of the best in the genre!

• Mar 31, 2013

Historically important and still extremely disturbing.

Historically important and still extremely disturbing.

• Mar 12, 2013

Chilling and a powerful statement against war.

Chilling and a powerful statement against war.

• Feb 25, 2012

A deep, emotional documentary interviewing soldiers after the Vietnam war and the horrific experiences they engaged in. Some really deep, graphic story tellings that are almost unbelievable that humans could do such horrible things to each other. Filmed in the early 70s and was banned at the time, and even in 2012 it had a serious impact on the impact of warfare.

• Jan 12, 2012

Probably the most self-critical Vietnam-related film to have been made in the U.S. (which might explain its scarcity), WINTER SOLDIER is a frequently moving and disturbing documentary about the inculcation of eager, pliable young American men, of a conscienceless barbarism. The fact that the panel of 'Nam vets, convened in front of spectators and a camera crew to convey their opposition to the war, is made up predominantly of articulate, sensitive-seeming men may point to why these particular people broke free of the bonds of pleasure-killing faceless innocent civilians ("gooks"), and came to realize the profound inhumanity of their and their peers' actions and, far worse, the actions of the U.S. military in creating them. Unlike the callousness of the soldiers interviewed in documentaries like INTERVIEWS WITH MY LAI VETERANS and MILLS OF THE GODS, these speakers appear ashamed, penitent, and destined to spend the rest of their days with horrible memories of the torture and massacres they took part in, as well as anger at a government that made them pawns, not only in an imperialistic gambit disguised as a mercy mission, but also in a morality-play tug-of-war back home.

• Dec 18, 2011

Powerful and difficult to watch. Important for any peace activist to see, and for anyone who wants to know the truth behind war.

• Aug 12, 2011

If you're reading this review just at random, you probably won't like this movie. It's a movie for a certain type of person. All it really is is just soldiers discussing the dehumanizing of war, but the descriptions are so solid and spoken by such interesting people, you can imagine the visuals in your mind, even if you don't want too. It's sad, really, not just the descriptions of war, but the history of this film. It was banned in the U.S for more than 30 years, with no TV company wanting to show it, so, for that time, few minor TV companies even showed this. Luckily, in 2005, the movie was re-released in theaters, receiving favorable reviews. Unfortunately, very few movie watchers actually went to see this movie in theaters, as you can see by the ratings, but the movie does have a DVD, so hopefully it's life will grow. I was lucky enough to find the movie on a certain instant streaming website (I won't name names, as I can't advertise websites on here if I want a chance at Super Reviewer), and the quality was decent, so I watched it, and I'm glad I did. The people in the movie talk about either witnessing or taking part in murder of civilians, each person regretting it more and more as they speak, it's powerful. You may actually recognize some of the soldiers in the movie, like Michael Oliver, Scott Camil, or John Kerry (Come back, come back). It's kinda hard watching the people that you thought was protecting you talk about them and everyone in the war becoming heartless killers. It's haunting and scary, but light seems to shine through. I really hope this movie get's famous soon. It's gone through 30 years of dust and dirt, and when it finally get's a re-release in theaters, the only people that go see it are nostalgic critics and, I'm suspecting hippies who still think it's the 70's who just want "PEACE". All jokes aside though, I'm glad that I went to watch this film, as now there are 4 movie reviews by users on this website to look at. But still, it all comes down to would I recommend it. No. Why? Cause like I said in the beginning of the review, this isn't a movie for all people. It's for the people that don't mind no straightforward story, or huge plot, and I know there are a lot of those people out there, they just don't know about this movie. So, if you're one of those people, watch this film and review it here, so the films history can grow. It's amazing and deserves more recognition.

• May 10, 2011

A hearing about the atrocities from Vietnam veterans which they witnessed. Shocking and disturbing.

• Mar 06, 2011

When learning about the Vietnam War in school I read that the war was a mistake because of thousands of American lives that were lost. The fact that the Viet Cong won, was also a loss. However, I never read stories about innocent civilians who were killed and tortured. The same thing is happening in The Iraq War. People automatically have respect for veterans. Bonus points for medals, but do they ever ask them what they did to earn that medal? There is an honor in dying for what you believe for, but most soldiers today don't even know why they're fighting. "For freedom," is what they always say. I will have respect for a veteran if they fought in the Civil War, but a Vietnam veteran or Iraq veteran? No.

• Feb 21, 2011

Chilling and sobering testimonies make this an essential historical document.

Chilling and sobering testimonies make this an essential historical document.