10,000 B.C. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10,000 B.C. Reviews

June 10, 2017
"Epic" in so much as Emmerich films always are, but that's not to be confused with "good". If you want to learn something true, or feel an emotion, look elsewhere. But if poking a mammoth with a stick is more your thing, you could probably handle 10,000 B.C.
½ May 31, 2017
It's not totally terrible...it just doesn't have any clue about history or semblance of good acting. Bit of a classic story though.
May 17, 2017
Who knew that metal tools, the goatee, and voice pitch-shifting were all prehistoric inventions?
February 23, 2017
The problem with this movie is that its heart just is not in it, which means it's not bad but it's not that good either. If the makers had just took a few risks this could have been a great movie. However ifs and buts don't cut it so what are we left with? A bit of a mixed bag really, an attempt at the style of "Apocalypto" and an update on the looks of the "Stargate" movie, without the sci-fi of course.

Just what Director Roland Emmerich was thinking I'm not entirely sure but to be quite honest I don't think he was thinking at all when he shot this. Ok this IS Hollywood so factual films are hardly the norm but I'm willing to forgive if the films give you that little something to grab-a-hold of. Sadly, it is not the slick epic storytelling style of "300", where you know everything is wildly inaccurate but you donâ??t care because the action is so god dam good and the concept design kicks arse!

From the outset when we get the flat "epic voiceover" (narrated by the, poorly used, but great Omar Sharif) telling us that this is the "story of blue eyes" and some other mystical nonsense, it's apparent that "10,000 BC" is trying a great deal too hard to be a family friendly version of Mel Gibson's considerably superior "Apocalypto".

In "10,000 BC", you've got Egyptian pyramids being built with the help of woolly mammoths to pull the building's stones. I believe it's supposed to be the Ice Age, and then protagonist walks over a hill and suddenly he's in the Nile Valley of 2,000 BC? Why not just call the movie "2,000 BC" and make it about ancient Egypt? I half expected to see the team of SG1 come running up a dune in search of the Stargate, in fact that WOULD have made this movie better!

Our hero lives in some undefined Ice Age region hunting mammoths possibly in Europe but just a few days walk from Egypt with its huge historically inaccurate city. Correct me if I'm wrong but 10,000 BC was right around the time agriculture was being invented? And I do believe the first cities â?? with no giant monuments â?? didn't exist until roughly 4,000 BC?

A workmen like mini-epic let down by a confusing narrative and Tv movie of the week special effects and a bunch of actors from an amateur dramatics club. Nowhere near the dizzy heights of "The Day After Tomorrow" or "Independence Day".

If the creator's had just took the story by the balls, beat seven bell of shit out it and injected some harsh brutality and violence akin to it's setting we could have got a fierce coming-of-age epic. Instead we get a child friendly Tv Movie of the week adventure with delusions of grandeur.
½ January 8, 2017
1/8/2017: The special effects of the animals was good and Belle is gorgeous, but this movie is a huge disappointment, mostly due to the dialogue. The story could have used more depth as well.
½ December 20, 2016
so boring, i always sleep when i try watch it complet
½ December 6, 2016
This has to be one of the worst movies ever made...
jamrcla
½ December 3, 2016
Expected total crap from what most people told me but found it pretty goodish, The effects were ok, Not much action and the plot never really gets going and is boring at times, Not to mention that when doing films like this makeup, White teeth and waxed eyebrows and other body parts don't help as it's pretty hard to take it serious.
½ November 10, 2016
quite pointless.

This is by no means a good movie, but if you come in with absolutely no expectation, suspend your logic, and just pretend the whole story took place 10,000 b.c, in a galaxy far far away, you might be slightly entertained like i did.
November 9, 2016
Like an asylum film just with better CGI A.K.A. this sucked
It makes no literal sense! First it starts with a moron of a caveman hunting mammoths and running from inaccurate size smilodons then it shows the Egyptians building pyramids with Mammoths. This movie should be renamed to the adventures of the Inaccurate caveman.
October 28, 2016
I absolutely loved this movie!
October 7, 2016
I really want ot see this awesome movie
½ September 18, 2016
A horrid motion picture.
½ August 4, 2016
cant really think of anything i actually liked about the movie... couldnt understand the voice over, historically false, bad CGI, poorly cast.
April 18, 2016
this looks like it has Ghost Rider appeal
April 9, 2016
Sorry folks but I thought this movie was way too awesome! Everything an action enthusiast could ever dream of! There's suspense, revenge, a great plot, and even romance! The team work between the various tribes and how they all come together for one common goal, priceless! Defeat the evil! Let's go good guys! Go watch it!
February 6, 2016
is on my list: 10 worst films ever - so cheers to the Swabian Spielberg.

my positive review of the film "Quest for Fire" has led me here, just to this worst of all Emmerich crappy films.

My time is too precious to more than just briefly refer to the film-defects that make me downright angry. Angry because a truely great film like "Quest for Fire" is less well known and less profitable than Swabian-Spielbergs "kunterbunte mammoth sause". (untranslateable)
The shortcomings are mentionened sufficiently in the 1-stars. Nevertheless, the most important aspect:

Emmerich charcters are generally so stereotyped, one-dimensional, bloodless and fake, that they do not actually touch me at all. So as much as 0.0. They only serve as extras, as a human dummy for CGI bombastic overkill effects. As a spectator one should at least care for certain characters, hope for them or fear. Emmerich has the "talent" that I do not care about all his characters.
Whether someone dies or not, I simply don't care at all. And I had this feeling even stronger than in other films here of R.E.
Because due to the setting in 10,000 bc, it is even more obvious, that the assembled troop of pop-batches here act in sheer mummery like a bunch of carnival astray - hilarious.
Nothing seems authentic, just fake in every way.

Sorry, but a director who refuses to take his characters seriously or cannot even make them lovable, "wastes" all his technical FX.

Rating = Aaaarrrgggggggggghhhh 15%
########15% aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhn
½ January 22, 2016
Unbelievably boring, was fighting to stay awake the entire time. The only moment of reprieve was when the credits started rolling.
December 16, 2015
Whilst not being terrible, this Roland Emmerich fantasy fails to really grab the imagination. Set in prehistoric times, it has a pretty standard plot whereby one tribe comes and pillages another, riding off with a young warrior's bride. There's then a journey as the hero gathers together a group of disgruntled warriors to go on a rescue mission. The central idea of all different races and creeds coming together under a uniting leader could have been better handled and the lumpiness of the plot is apparent with several awkward transitions from one situation to another. What can often save this kind of movie and allow the viewer to overlook inconsistencies are some good special effects and exciting battle scenes. However, in 10,000 B.C. there are simply not enough of either. With historical accuracy having been thrown to the wind, I would have liked to have had more prehistoric megafauna and a few more fantastical elements. As it is, I do feel that the movie falls between genres and doesn't really do enough. Odd when you consider that this is from a director who made his name with over the top effects and spectacle. A few more scenes of sabre toothed cats, giant killer birds and mammoths and a clearer sense that our hero was in genuine peril would have left me feeling a little less short changed.