Dark Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dark Water Reviews

April 10, 2017
Loved it. This is a tension building horror movie that keep you on the edge of your seat. It really keeps you there, because it doesn't flip you off with sudden ghosts out of nowhere.
March 15, 2017
A slow moving story which leads to an anticlimax.
Stress and sanity are explored throughout, but not convincingly enough. The ending leaves you wondering why the woman got in the elevator and didn't just move out of the apartment block.
Dark Water places itself firmly in the horror genre but the scariest thing is that I paid £14.99 for it.
I'm so disappointed I can't even muster the passion to produce a coherent review.
November 20, 2016
One of the best horror movies ever made
August 3, 2016
I had high hopes for this movie but I wasn't impressed. Not scary. Not spooky.
½ July 2, 2016
This was very enjoyable and I especially loved the ambience, murkiness and palpable dread that coruscated throughout. This scared my son, a budding horror-film aficionado himself, surprisingly much more than I felt more horrific films he has watched did, and gave him nightmares for a while afterwards.

As much as I love Jennifer Connelly and Walter Salles' work, I will try and avoid the English-language remake simply on general principle.
½ July 2, 2016

½ June 17, 2016
The American version was better.
March 15, 2016
A bit of a classic amongst J-horror fans; and rightly so. Dark Water is moody, slow and oh so very sad. Never relying on jumps and instead amps up the creepy factor to 11. It's strengths is in its characters, we spend enough time with these people that we honestly, really start to care about what happens to them.
June 14, 2015
Creepy atmosphere can only carry this watered down horror movie so far.Where was the horror?
½ April 11, 2015
The best horror movie i've seen so far, the ending made me cry a bit. The little girl was a very good child actress.
March 31, 2015
Dark Water is less the generic horror film that everyone is used to and more of a drama to put it lightly. A drama about a mother played to perfection by Hitomi Kuroki struggling to raise her child played by Rio Kanno, whilst she experiences what would be called a slight mental breakdown. So NO do not go into the impression that this film is direct HORROR film. The film is directed and written by Hideo Nakata, who made the film after his success with the Japanese Ring & Ring 2 and seeing as I loved Ring, I came into this film with high hopes and this did NOT disappoint. Great acting, a creepy atmosphere and a story and script to near perfection just to name a few. I urge you to check out tis incredible mystery drama (or if you want to call it horror but do not watch it from that viewpoint) as soon as possible. It gets a 5/5 from me.
½ February 13, 2015
What a surprisingly sad movie.
½ January 23, 2015
This was alot better then the American remake, it was creepy watching this and seeing it have striking similarities to the real life case of a woman called Eliza Lam. This was a very good horror movie thats realistic and atmospheric. Definitely a movie worth watching.
January 17, 2015
One house of lunatics.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
I liked this one and its much better then the us remake version. A bit like grudge / the ring and are u familiar to that u know what u get.
½ September 25, 2014
So few filmmakers realize what horror movies can do beyond terrifying the audience or providing a few jump scares. Horror movies can delve into what we're are truly scared of and why we're scared of it, and provoke real human drama out of these insights. Dark Water is one of these horror films that proves what the genre is truly capable of. Hideo Nakata's ghost story is a masterpiece; it's a film that is able to be both terrifying and, in its best moments, really, really sad. On the surface it tells about a mother dealing with a dark presence in her apartment building that manifests itself as massive amounts of water. Below the surface it's about a women slowly losing her mind as she goes through a divorce and tries desperately to hold onto custody of her daughter. Its about isolation and what happens to children when there aren't any adults around. Nakata takes these themes and creates a film that is not only oppressive and terrifying, but is also a wonderful piece of poignant drama. The only flaw I can conceivably find in this film is that certain parts of its ending seems a bit clumsy. But that is easily forgivable after an entire film of brilliance. Dark Water is one of the best horror movies I have seen in a long time.
½ September 23, 2014
½ September 12, 2014
Best £1 I spent in my life.
½ September 1, 2014
Rent or do not watch. Do not buy.
½ January 26, 2014
It's not just the water, the bond between mother and daughter is tested as well as their mental health.