The Adventures of Robin Hood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Robin Hood Reviews

September 11, 2017
Best adventure film of all time. The cast is perfect and the story dont let down for a second.
August 27, 2017
Wonderfully done in Technicolor. Beautiful costumes. Albeit boring by today's standards, it was the first Robin Hood film of this caliber.
½ August 21, 2017
A role made iconic by Errol Flynn, "The Adventures of Robin Hood" does the Old English legends it's based on plenty of justice, and then some.
Antonius Block
July 28, 2017
Wow, for star power, it's hard to beat Errol Flynn as Robin Hood and Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marion. Flynn had the perfect devil may care attitude for the part of Robin, and his impudence towards the pretender to the English throne is fantastic. de Havilland is absolutely stunning and plays her part well as the noble who is offended by Robin at first, but is then slowly won over to his humanity and righteousness. The movie features all of the standard sorts of things we've come to expect in productions of Robin Hood - camaraderie, swordplay, honor, and daring escapes, among other things. I loved the stunts, including Flynn cutting the rope to a gate, and then being pulled upwards by its pulley in order to get over it while leaving his pursuers trapped on the other side. The cast is strong throughout, from the main villains (Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains) to charming characters like Marion's old nurse, played by Una O'Connor, who has a little romance of her own.

The film is in color and quite a production for 1938, really showing how far movies came over the course of the 1930's. I loved the costumes from Milo Anderson, particularly those for the 22-year-old de Havilland, who directors Curtiz and Keighley wisely took every opportunity to shoot close up, allowing her beauty to shine, and her eyes to display fear, annoyance, anger, and love. Her scenes with Flynn are magical. The only thing I fault the film for is the soundtrack, which I found too jaunty and intrusive, even for scenes which had a lot of action in them, but that's a bit of a quibble. The only reason I don't rate it higher is because the story itself has been done so often that it's lost its shine for me personally, but if classic adventure stories with romance in them are your thing, I think you'll love this film.
½ July 24, 2017
True to the source and charming, Robin Hood brings the titular character to life in sweeping swashbuckling manner.
July 16, 2017
Michael Curtiz's classic, 1938 all-colour swashbuckler is a merry romp that's something of a prototype for the modern action blockbuster with its witty hero, rousing set-pieces and hissable villains (Claude Rains and Basil Rathbone) in memorable form. With lightning-fast pace, cheeky humour and glorious technicolor abound, this is golden age Hollywood entertainment in full swing, epitomised by an exuberant Mr Flynn as the screen's most endearing Robin Hood.
June 6, 2017
Definitely the best Robin Hood film of all time. The witty banter, character development and moral lessons make this a feel good movie for the ages. But still plenty of action for those of us that want it.
April 15, 2017
Claude Rains is the devilishly fun standout performance of this swashbuckling classic as the primary antagonist Prince John. Olivia de Haviland is the most beautiful image to ever don the seat by John, Maiden Marian. And Errol Flynn simply is Robin Hood. Add them altogether, along with beautiful direction, mainly from directing great Michael Curtiz, in glorious technicolor, and this is my favorite iteration of the oft told Robin Hood tale.
½ April 9, 2017
Your standard to making swashbuckling adventures.
January 20, 2017
For me this is the original action movie.
December 6, 2016
outstanding acting, perfect cinematic atmosphere. Genuine hate from Rathbone to flynn
October 4, 2016
The perfect movie...script, cast, music, camera work...and Errol Flynn at his best in the role he was born to play.
½ September 29, 2016
Classic movie. Childhood favorite. The good guy is awesome and the bad guy is despicable. What more can you ask for? :-)
April 16, 2016
Wow. True escapism in true Hollywood style! Nothing is real, nothing factual, and nothing thrills more! Again, Hollywood at it's best, a romantic, thrilling romp through the romanticised eyes of a genre that cannot be bettered. Flynn is great and nobody could buckle his swash as he could. Tremendous.
April 1, 2016
1938's ''The Adventures of Robin Hood'' is after almost 80 years of possible improvement, still the very best Robin Hood film, in fact it is one of the greatest films of all time.
Is the acting campy? Yes, most certainly but so is the acting in King Kong (1933) and The Wizard of Oz (1939) and those 2 are also considered some of the greatest movies of all time. The campy acting is in my eyes certainly not a flaw, i think the campy acting we had in old movies is only a good thing, it reminds us of how innocent and unexperienced Hollywood was back in the day, and i think that's a beautiful thing that should be treasured.
Aside from the hammy acting, i personally think it's a flawless film, the script is perfect, simple, exciting and emotional, the art direction is top notch, so are the costumes, and music is supportive and beautiful, the stunts and choreography is spot on, the set pieces are enthralling, so are the fun characters, and the pacing is fast to keep the movie going. (especially for a movie that's almost 80 years old, this is one of the most modern, old movies i've ever seen)
The innocence of The Adventures of Robin Hood is delightful, this really is a timeless movie for all ages, kids of today could easily enjoy a movie like this too, and not fall asleep. The Adventures of Robin Hood is such a fresh, fast-paced exciting film, it really is something special.

Say what you want about The Adventures of Robin Hood and how campy it may be. In my eyes it's one of the best movies of all time.
March 16, 2016
Sorry but all i could think of while i was watching this was Robin Hood Men in Tights!!
March 6, 2016
Marvellous Hollywood epic that epitomises everything that was great about the golden age . Fabulous music, a visual feast and stars when they were really stars, Errol Flynn at his action hero height , the noble thief who has the highest principals and fights for the common man against the wicked King pretender and his thuggish Barons. Shot entirely in Hollywood and with the sheen of those magical historical dramas of yesterday year , men in tights and all. A feast for the senses , a ripping yarn and a must watch which stands the test of time.
March 2, 2016
In every respect, casting, performances, script, directing, music and cinemetography, this film is an all-time masterpiece. It lives on I to the 21st Century as one of the very best ever. If I had to choose one film to demonstrate what the art of cinema can be at its peak, this would be the one.
February 24, 2016
This is by far my favorite movie, ever