Untraceable - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Untraceable Reviews

August 12, 2016
I'll give it a resounding "meh."
½ August 8, 2016
FBI cyber crimes detective must stop a crazed psychopath from murdering people by torture through a website. This suspense flick is frighteningly good.
July 12, 2016
I really liked this serial killer thriller, which I thought was very suspenseful and well done. Once again the critics hated something that audiences liked. And I think it has something to say about people liking gruesome scenes and other re cruelties on the internet and in the news, too. But then that mindset is nothing new. All through history, people watched criminals die horrible deaths even as recently as the early 1900's, and they were considered premium entertainment. What is new now is the number of people who can watch. At least for a short period of time, such was considered to be wrong and the public was no longer allowed to revel in executions, even though the press and then television news could still zero in on violence. All that has changed really is the numbers. What I don't like about films such as this one is that some nut out there might get ideas.
½ June 11, 2016
Meh thriller features a a solid story concept about a series killer who sets up elaborate SAW-like torture scenarios and puts them online, but with the gimmick that the more people who go onto the website to watch the torture scene, the more intense of the torture and eventual death of the hapless victim. It's an interesting comment on today's voyeuristic culture where many unpleasant things in the media landscape would simply go away if no one watched (i.e. Kardashians, Dance Moms, Lindsay Lohan, etc.). With a film that's nearly 10 years old, it's easy to see that this is something that has only gotten worse since then with internet trolls and incidents like those documented in Jon Ronson's book "So You've Been Publicly Shamed." I think Charlie Booker's first episode of "Black Mirror" tackled this same idea in a much smarter, more darkly humorous, and also in a much more condensed way. In the plus column for this film though is that it has Diane Lnae in the lead, who I've been a fan of since I first had a crush on her when I saw "Six Pack." There's also a fine score by Christopher Young and the film is slickly directed by Gregory Hoblit, who made the excellent "Primal Fear," though that film's success should more likely be credited to Edward Norton and the script. Overall, this isn't a terrible film, but it's certainly nothing to go out of your way to watch.
June 10, 2016
Very cool idea. Makes you wonder about people and what they think is entertaining on the internet.
½ June 9, 2016
Pretty good movie. At the time, the plot tried to add something fresh to the genre, but it's still a very formulaic run-of-the-mill story that's saved with some good visuals, tense direction and good performance from Lane.
May 30, 2016
Didn't diminish my need to see for myself or to forgo to my imagination as gruesome enough already each atrocity splashed on You Tube from ISIS severed heads to Assads torture victims though it did make it clear the urge to blur & censure grotesqueries by MSM beyond protecting youngsters from shocking imagery.
May 15, 2016
A pretentious, condescending, counterproductive, grim, dark movie that should have never been made.

But Diane Lane is a milf!
½ May 14, 2016
A vile film of exploitation of sadistic animal abuse at the very beginning and continues downhill from there.
Diane Lane didn't know about the explicit animal torture scene and was so upset after she found out she refused to do publicity tour and never mentions it anymore.
1/2 star to at least acknowledge her for being in this trash.
½ January 6, 2016
Director Gregory Hoblit is definitely working with an compelling premise (which is because things like this really do exist in the deep dark corners of the internet). But he rarely tries to do anything interesting in this run of the mill thriller that ends on a cliched note.
November 16, 2015
kept you on your toes
½ October 26, 2015
Bogs out quickly then bottoms out.Generic and poorly scripted garbage.
July 27, 2015
Diane Lane does a good job with the story but it runs out of gas about half way through and your left with a movie that will just keep doing the same thing over and over.
June 7, 2015
I Don't Like The Graphic Murders In This Film.
May 12, 2015
Diane Lane is always great -- why don't we see more of her? The movie was guessable except for just a couple of times - it actually could have been a 4 star had it not plot scenes from Criminal Minds which has pretty much covered all serial killer scenarios ... it was scary, I'll give it that.
½ March 6, 2015
this movie was absolutely awful. 0 corn husks out of 10. boring and unoriginal.
February 17, 2015
Serial killer broadcasts his heinous crimes on the internet. Specialist Diane Lane races against time to stop him in this high octane thriller.
January 2, 2015
A movie in my taste with inspirations from Saw and other serial killer movies. It could have been more intensive with creepier feeling but it was decent overall i thought.