Forever Strong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forever Strong Reviews

April 24, 2016
Forever Weak

Ryan Little's 2008 film, "Forever Strong," is based on a true story about a Rugby Coach (Gary Cole) who teaches teenage misfits to win Rugby titles, as well as serve their community. Sean Farris stars as Rick, a cocky high school punk, and star athlete for the rugby team coached by his demanding father Rich Penning (Neal McDonough) in Flagstaff, Arizona. After nearly killing himself, and his girlfriend under the circumstances of a DUI, Rick lands himself in a juvenile detention center in Salt Lake City, Utah. I believe that even though this movie was a major hit and inspired many people all over, it had too many mistakes and unrealistic events that lead the viewer to question the script and quality of the film.
Sean Astin plays the role of a very sympathetic administrator, who takes it upon himself to be a friend to a troubled Rick Penning. Astin makes a deal with Rick that if he agrees to play for Highland Rugby, an actual high school located in Utah, his time spent in the detention center would be shortened. This triggers the first question. Why and how is a juvenile inmate from out of state allowed to play for a high school sports team where he is not enrolled? Last time I checked, Juvenile inmates were not aloud to play on any sports team, let alone play on a team as an easier way out of jail. However, this movie does a decent job of showing how sports and discipline and love can change even the most troubled of teenagers like Rick Penning.
Another thing that Little failed to accomplish in this film was to explain to the audience the actual game of rugby. I mean c'mon, if you're going to put on a film completely about rugby and the life lessons that come from it, you should at least explain somehow the rules and regulations of the game. Those who have never seen or let alone heard of the rare and unusual game of rugby are completely lost when watching this. In order to truly grab the audience's attention, it's important to have an explanation of everything that is going on in the film. Sports movies especially, should be inspiring and exciting. However, for a sports film to effectively do that, it's crucial that the rules of the game are clearly stated so that the viewer can understand completely what is going on. By being able to follow along and have a clear understanding of the game that is being played allows the viewer to be apart of the excitement and drama that comes along in a hard fought battle. I mean, its like going to a football or basketball game without the rules being explained and expecting to be involved and excited. You have to understand the game before you can follow along and truly feel the thrill that comes from watching an action packed game.
Don't get me wrong, Little did not ruin this film. There are many who praise him for what he did and the message that he delivered to the audience. However, as a viewer myself, I was confused and lost throughout much of the movie. It's also never completely clear why high school athletes and more specifically, rugby players, do ritual dances (also know as the haka) before matches. It actually seems quite silly to me and the effect of doing something like that would probably leave me more embarrassed than pumped up and ready to play.
Overall, this film left me wondering many things and didn't really do much justice like your classic sports film should. There is just too much that was left out and that didn't make sense that it was hard to capture the thrill and excitement that you hope for going into it. To those who follow and understand the strange sport of rugby, it would be a wise decision to watch this, but for everybody else looking for an inspiring sports film, go watch a boxing movie.
½ February 1, 2016
Terrible acting and terrible plot. Did not enjoy or take anything from this film in anyway, whatsoever.
January 31, 2016
My sister was going through a random search on Netflix, and came upon this movie which I don't feel like watching a sports film, but she said that this is a good movie which I jokingly tell her that I'll be the judge of that. Forever Strong is actually a good movie that is nothing really memorable here. The acting is really good, and the Rugby scenes are entertaining to watch although it gets shaky cam at times which was a bit distracting. Th characters are nothing special, and the main character can be way too unlikeable at some parts. The chant was actually pretty cool and I would listen to that for a while. The plot is your run of the mill sport film that is predictable to see how it goes. I actually would've been fine with it not being original if it's entertaining at least, and I was interested of Forever Strong and had a good time watching this.
October 24, 2015
i love this movie it has a good story and a good gold for many teen guy to go o there life
August 26, 2015
This is another typical fall-down-get-back-up sports movie, but hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
March 22, 2015
Yeah, some of the criticisms of it being formulaic are correct. However, it was well acted and directed. It was enjoyable and had a positive message. Go with the audience rating on this one, not the critics.
November 12, 2014
Inspirational sports movie. A big problem is that it is about an unfamiliar sport for a lot of people. However, no major complaints about the movie.
June 14, 2014
I thought this movie accurately portrayed the Highland rugby team. The acting was not great, but this movie was inspirational.
½ June 6, 2014
Sports Cliche: the movie
½ June 5, 2014
I really enjoyed this film. it's great to see movies that show us how small pockets of honor and strength can permeate life. well done.
April 7, 2014
Movie was awful. For illiterates only!
February 14, 2014
Great movie!!!! The whole family can watch and enjoy--has some language but still an awesome movie!!!
February 11, 2014
No Academy Awards for acting in this one, but a great meaning based around true events carry the movie.
½ February 2, 2014
This movie told a wonderful story about second chances and family connections. The rugby games were Hugh energy and very fun to watch. The ending resolved a lot of issues for everyone involved.
November 30, 2013
So amazing and inspirational ��
November 10, 2013
Who cares if you've seen this story told a million times before, it actually succeeds at what it sets out to do - uplift you and entertain you. It's competent filmmaking and its purpose is achieved by fade out.
October 21, 2013
Americans, drink, bad parenting and a great movie is on the screen. Rugby, that fine 1823 British game, gets a superb photographic following capturing the real men swapping ball and knuckling under to a regime of great sportsmanship. This film is strongly scripted giving the actors characters that will penetrate your heart and give you a great reason for tears. Nibbles: Welsh rabbit.
½ August 24, 2013
not really original and far too clicheed, it bears its oversentimentality like a crown. BUt,. it is great fun to watch, and with the exception of Neal McDonough, also well acted. No idea what happened there, but ididnt see the stern father. i saw no father figure at all... the rest of the cast is great though, and i liked that it is based on real events. And of course because it about RUGBYYY
½ August 5, 2013
Sean Faris tiene carisma para este tipo de películas, una buena película sobre luchar con disciplina por tus sueños