The Proposal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3.5/5 Ratings for The Proposal
FRESH: 65%
Comedy 40% Romance 40% Adventure 20%
½ September 5, 2016
Super predictable and boring, with no chemistry between the main characters.
September 4, 2016
Quite funny. and Sandra Bullock is getting old.
½ August 14, 2016
A surprisingly great comedy! Although the story was very predictable, I still liked the overall, flow of the film.
July 24, 2016
Dog poo American trash
½ July 9, 2016
It's very entertaining and has some hilarious scenes but remains shallow, clichéd, predictable and unoriginal. Still, the vivid dialogues and the good performances ensure you have a good time.
July 9, 2016
Terrific comedy. Loved the part when the eagle takes off with Bullock's cell phone. If that eagle was for hire I'd train it to remove my daughter's and granddaughter's cell phone especially during meals. I digress. This was not a typical boy meets girl romantic comedy. If you get a chance, after watching it, go to You Tube and take a look at the alternate movie ending. I laughed out loud.
June 30, 2016
Yuck. Pure formula, top to bottom. It's without a hint of originality at any point in the film. The two leads are fine, but they aren't engaging ever. The plot is about as science-fiction as the new 'Transformers' sequel, and if there was even a dash of winning humor or a single hearty moment - it would've been better. As is, it's mediocre as can be, and worst of all, not funny.

Grade: C-
½ June 21, 2016
Quite simply, one of those films you can watch again and again. Very few brain cells are required.
½ May 15, 2016
So dumb. I like the leads, but the script is just ridiculous. How does this super bitch completely change personalities in the course of a weekend? Are we really supposed to but that this guy fell in love with said super bitch over this same weekend and is going to choose her over the hot, wholesome blond? Not even good for romantic comedy crap.
½ May 6, 2016
Great chemistry between the leads helps this otherwise straight forward addition to the yearly rom-coms cranked out.
½ April 18, 2016
I thought this movie had some funny parts and I really like the cast, but the story and the way the film goes together feels incredibly forced and generic. I didn't get a very organic spark from the film. There were some individual parts that were very funny or cute or romantic and did a good job with the time they had, but I just didn't think the whole film came together well as a whole. But my wife really likes this movie and I don't want to give it a terrible rating and I'm banking that she doesn't read the review this far, so this movie gets a little boost in its rating since my wife loves this show so much. I did think it was good to see at least once, just to know for myself what the hype was about.
April 12, 2016
Looks good, can't wait to see it in the theater or when it comes out on DVD!!
March 24, 2016
It's Ryan Reynolds... omg.. must see!
March 23, 2016
Reminded me of what happens in Vegas, but it was still a cute movie. Love Sandra Bullock
½ March 3, 2016
Meh. Bland, mostly harmless.
February 28, 2016
There are two essentials to the success of a rom-com; believably depicting two people viably falling in love (usually under the unlikeliest of circumstances) and to be funny whilst doing it. The Proposal with its safe and calculated delivery won't catch any bouquets for originality; its "Green Card" meets "Northern Exposure" meets "Made of Honor" formula makes the whole effort feel like the forced work of a committee.

Depending on one's tolerance for the mainstream chick-flick this movie could invoke varied opinions, from downright insipid and merely unoriginal to perfect first date movie that is decidedly likeable extreme escapism. But really, I ask, in this climate the latter seems more considered; putting a rom-com under too much scrutiny is a pointless endeavor.

What gives this that little extra sparkle and charm is the sheer star charisma and interesting dynamic the Ryan Reynolds/Sandra Bullock pairing constitutes. The savvy and bitter dialogue becomes genuine banter as they play off of each other's sarcastic disdain for the majority of the movie effortlessly establishing the required love/hate relationship.

Margaret Tate (Bullock) is a workaholic chief editor for a New York publisher. Margaret is the hard-nosed, reigning ice queen, devil-boss so tyrannical and well versed in making her minions miserable, secretaries cower and dispatch warning IM alerts such as "the witch is on the stick" whenever she moves around the office.

Questioning as to whether her blood would run green, her hard working ever tormented slave of an assistant Andrew Paxton (Ryan Reynolds) obliging orders the same coffee as her each morning just in case of a spill.

Margaret when called to a meeting with the higher powers shows nothing but distain for her lackey, reminding him he is just a wall flower there to make her look good. Until she is informed that she is facing immediate deportation to her native Canada for not having a current working visa.

Instantly the quick thinking exec declares that she is actually engaged to the unsuspecting Andrew, later bullying and blackmailing him into agreeing. However, blackmail is a two way street and realizing the threat of backing out is leverage over Margaret, Andrew adds a few conditions of his own reluctantly only agreeing to participate in the charade if Margaret appoints him as editor.
When the couple meets with her officious immigration officer (Denis O'Hare), he doesn't believe a word and explains in detail the extent he will go to expose the sham. Determined to persuade him, Margaret invites herself to Andrew's Grandmothers 90th Birthday and the new couple fly off to picturesque snow-capped hometown in Sitka Alaska to break the news to his family.

The two vow to stick to the plan of lying to convince Andrew's quirky and rich Kennedy-like tycoon family that they are getting married for love. However, when Andrew's loving Mother Grace (Mary Steenburgen) and delightfully over-the-top Grandma Annie (Betty White) insist on planning an impromptu wedding to be held that weekend, Manhattan-dwelling fish-out-of-water Margaret's icy exterior begins to thaw.

Will they be able to hold it together long enough to convince the agent that their story of love is true or will they realize that their sham is actually a story of real love?

The predictability and contrived comedy-baited awkward scenarios often miss their mark; however, the comedic chemistry is abundant. Well placed snide comments such as "Satan's mistress" and out off place song placement generates enough goodwill to get the movie by.

Constantly underappreciated actress Bullock has a genuine prowess at physical comedy. Finely honing her comic chops and managing to evoke chemistry from emotional black holes Ben Affleck (Forces of Nature), Hugh Grant (Two Weeks Notice) and the wooden Keanu Reeves (Lake House) is by no means a small feat.

Teaming Bullock up with the epitome of hunky, boyish charmed Ryan Reynolds is pleasant to watch even if there is no convincing romantic connection, and the addition of veteran actress Betty White who effortlessly steals each scene she is present in, no matter how ridiculous.

The Verdict: Contending bone crushing machines and depressing postwar period pieces, this fluffy puppy of a film emanates warmth. As most women invariably do try to drag partners kicking and screaming to these kinds of movies, if you have any troubles quietly state there is a shower scene with Bullock (just forget to mention it is rated PG.)

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 19/06/2009
½ February 18, 2016
The two leads, while likeable, don't spark the needed chemistry to carry this drab of a movie along.
February 8, 2016
one of the better romantic comedies IMHO
½ January 24, 2016
Watch it once...sure. Watch it twice...offers nothing to return to.