Season of the Witch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Season of the Witch Reviews

May 21, 2016
It's got a poor rating but I enjoyed it. I'm always looking for medieval witch films. The Nicholas cage wig is in full effect in this film.
April 29, 2016
Nicholas Cage, what the heck is this, Season of the Witch looks terrible and is terrible. I laughed so hard because of how bad the movie was.
March 26, 2016
A much better film than I was expecting, I enjoyed the plot and the fight scenes, The demon effects were not very good but oh well, Not a must see but an easy enjoyable watch.
½ March 26, 2016
A 10% rating by critics tells me that I must have a fondness for failed films (as if I didn't know that already), because I actually quite liked this one. A fantasy action film that has a dungeons and dragons feel to it, as a handful of knights set off on a journey to take a young girl to trial, given she is perceived to be demonstrating the characteristics of a witch, and guilty of summoning the plague to every nearby village. Battling wolves, treacherous conditions, the threat of the acclaimed sorceress, and divided opinion amongst themselves, they attempt to reach the monastery where the monks trial will determine the true extent of the prisoners powers. This was a very easy watch, with a simple plot, and several action scenes to keep one entertained. Mixing religion and war, this culminates as a simple battle against the devil himself, in one big supernatural showdown. Sometimes one to divide opinion, Cage does nothing to harm his credentials here, although the film itself will never truly light up the Hollywood stage. Good to witness as a one off but unlikely to be memorable down the line when you have several other TV series like Game of Thrones offering more critically acclaimed fantasy action for a similar target audience.
½ January 31, 2016
The history of the battles it mentions in the opening sequence are all off - by a couple of hundred years. The acting performances are SHOCKING and the accents are all over the place. Some are American, some are English, some are a mixture of the two. The storyline could have provided an half decent film with the right cast, but it's been so, so, so poorly done.
January 19, 2016
Ron Perlman is the only highlight here but he can't save an entire movie that is badly made and boring to watch. It's the worst kind of bad; so bad that it's awfull.
November 8, 2015
Aburrida en todo los sentidos.
July 27, 2015
What happens when you take something you are a big fan of and something you're not a fan of at all and put them together, you get this movie. In my case the thing I'm a fan of is Nicolas Cage films and the thing I'm not a fan of is Medieval movies and Witch/Exorcism movies. Now the acting and fighting scenes are kinda cool, but not even the great Nicolas Cage can save this for me, this is not my kind of movie at all, I only watched it because of Cage, I've seen worse but this is just one of those movies I can only see once, sorry Nic.
July 23, 2015
Nothing interesting here, move along!
½ May 21, 2015
Season of the witch is a disappointingly dull and lifeless horror that fails to utilize Nic Cage's larger than life acting ability because he isn't up for it, Putting the final nail in it's coffin
May 3, 2015
One of the less worst Nicholas Cage Movies.
May 2, 2015
The critics are so into top notch, they wouldn't admit some cheap fun. I found the story much more interesting than 300, or even Man of steel, or the whole super-hero crap. This film actually worked better where the special effects were minimal, except for the finale that was rightly satisfying and plain scary fun. This is a film that looks like nothing but have many fine qualities. We get to feel the dumbness and the cruelty of the dark ages. We have an innocent looking girl that is full of power and wit, albeit possessed by the demon. We have grown men afraid of the poor little girl. We have supernatural, god, latin to rid of evil (now that's ironic). We have fabulous locations (probably half CGI), a castle to dream of, a mountain road absolutely marvelous, a dark forest to chill and get chills. I think this film is pure kid fun, not too serious, with visuals to dream about when you read about the darks ages. If you don't like the over the top special effects ending, there is a complete alternate one with much less, in the dvd. I think the whole package was lovely with a cute heart.
April 27, 2015
Wow. Just wow. Nicolas Cage really won't turn down a script, will he?
This is a really bad film that is probably ideal if you just want something on in the background while you do something more interesting.
My favourite problem with this movie, setting aside the gaping plot holes, sci-fi channel special effects, appaling choreography and horrible, horrible acting, was the accents. This is a film where American actor Nicolas Cage, playing a European knight in Europe, adopts a British accent. Co-star and fellow crusader Perlman keeps his American accent though. Meanwhile, a supporting cast of (ultimately) forgettable local, European characters, played by a string of British actors all inexplicably adopt horrible American accents too. This issue alone killed the film, although ironically, made it entertaining.

Oh, the costumes were good.
March 1, 2015
B movie, there's lots of why didn't they just... I couldn't stop laughing at 1 part, but it's an OK movie if there nothing else.
½ February 15, 2015
Nicolas Cage must transport a suspected witch in this cliche fantasy flick.
½ January 14, 2015
I don't think anyone in the film believes anything that is going on in it.
January 9, 2015
Season of The Witch is a Medieval Sci Fi movie about how basically the devil wants to take over the world and how it tries to lure a group to a location of where the last book that can kill it is and how the devil wants to destroy the book so that it can rule forever.
For me the movie really had nothing surprising in the beginning it had some direction and then lost it fast.
Nick Cage has brought out better movies than this.
Although PG 13 I would state this more 15+ A one time view for me.
Nothing to write home about.
January 5, 2015
Oh Nicloas cage. You make such shitty movies.
½ December 29, 2014
Also, ich weiss nicht wie man diese Geschichte interpretieren kann! Zu einem ist es eine Abenteuer Geschichte, dann kommt ein bisschen Exorzist, dann ein bisschen Constantine und dann ein Computerspiel. Diese Story ist völlig verwirrend und verliert sich gnadenlos! Dass sich Schauspieler wie Cage und Perlman sich auf dieses Projekt eingelassen haben, bleibt mir ein Rätsel! Viele Logiklöcher sind in dieser Geschichte vorhanden. Auch das nach Jahren der Kreuzzüge Cage immer noch gut aussieht bleibt zweifelhaft. Auch die Effekte am Schluss sind billig und einfach. Was den Film erst recht vermiest!
Fazit: Besser ein einfaches Drehbuch durcharbeiten, anstatt mehrere Genres zu mischen. Gute Darsteller in einem schlechten Spiel!
½ December 24, 2014
it's a shame that Nicolas Cage gets no respect now a days but he is so good in most of his prefoments but hey no one's perfect, Ron Pearlmen is a good actor to this film may not be great but a film I can enjoy watching it may be better tan reign of fire.