Season of the Witch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Season of the Witch Reviews

May 20, 2018
There's no such thing as peripheral vision in movies, is there? It's a good cheat. Another cheat in this movie is the miscalculation of the amount of horses in a couple of scenes.
April 1, 2018
This is a very good movie. Ignore the haters.
½ March 5, 2018
Nicholas cage and Ron Perlman star as ageing, tired and bored crusaders who desert the Teutonic Order after a successful siege against a stronghold garrisoned with nothing more than young women and children. Weighed down with the guilt of their own murder of a young woman, Perlman and Cage return to Villach in Austria in the recent wake of a successful witch hunt which has led to the escape and capture of a witch who they believe is responsible for Black Death which is sweeping across europe.

Upon their arrival, the identities of Cage and Perlman is revealed and they are swiftly imprisoned before being recruited by Christopher Lee, heavily deformed by the plague whilst still delivering the best performance of the entire movie, to escort a priest and the imprisoned witch to take part in a trial on the other side of a haunted forest, which nobody except for Stephen Graham, the swindler/merchant, knows how to traverse. And Sting comes along for the ride too.

Upon entering the forest, Stephen Graham loses all sense of direction within the forest and for his characters role in the troupe and Robert Sheehan comes along for the ride. Fighting through packs of wolves and the occasional hallucination, Perlman, Cage, Sheehan and the witch(Claire Foy) arrive at the monastery to discover not only that the priests are all dead from the pestilence but also that the witch is in fact a badly rendered demon.

Even when faced with wall crawling, possessed priests and flying badly animated demons, Cage and Perlman can barely force out any emotion even when being burned alive in hellfire. Using his last breath, Cage sacrifices himself to allow Sheehan to finish off an incantation/prayer which banished the demon and released Foy's now-naked and lubricated body from the grips of the devil, allowing her and Sheehan to ride off into the horizon while a voice over declares the Black Death over, with no explanation of how or what the woman was possessed by, and ignoring the glaring omission of anything witch related in the entire film.

This film seems to be an overly edited, cheaply animated, poorly acted and boring attempt to see various famous faces trying to encapsulate what films like Black Death and Kingdom of Heaven managed to capture so well.

I wouldn't give the film a complete miss, but I would advise people to not have any expectations when going in to Season of the Witch.

Nicholas Cage, usually known for over acting gives one of the most tired performances of his life, whilst Perlman seems to give the impression that he's in direct competition with cage to give the most listless performances in the entire film. All other big names are shoe horned in with no real story, background or effort to keep the viewer engaged.
½ October 31, 2017
Soooooooo boring! And I basically like everything!
September 10, 2017
It was a fantastic movie. Great action, great acting, very good story. I reccomend it.
July 14, 2017
They ruined the film with 3D special effects. Plot was good.
June 18, 2017
This movie is better than the ridiculous numbers given it. I found it quite watchable.
June 17, 2017
Ich glaube ich schaue mir ab heute keine Cage Filme mehr an es reicht ... Der macht nur noch Muell !
June 10, 2017
My love of Perlman and Cage totally carry this awkward fantasy.. something of a guilty pleasure.
May 23, 2017
kinda love how fuckedd up it get before,whatever, u know that "your mother suscks cocks in heöll engine starts"
½ February 5, 2017
Movie was entertaining to say the least. You've got to look past the witch part though. Too many folks today think that women are witches so they get confused. Like in this movie. This person is posessed. I don't wanna ruin it for you but, this is definitely not about women lol.
½ September 23, 2016
Half. A. Star.

This movie isn't even entertaining from a "bad movie" standpoint except for maybe the CGI wolves and some of the wicked special effects throughout the movie. Cage doesn't even get any freakout moments.

Oh and SPOILER ALERT.

They spend most of the movie wondering if this girl is truly a witch or not and the twist is that... she's a demon. ...what?

It gets half a star for a cool opening scene. That's IT.

Cage and Perlman, by the way, are introduced to us as fighters in the Crusade slaughtering people in the name of Jesus. They're the good guys.
May 21, 2016
It's got a poor rating but I enjoyed it. I'm always looking for medieval witch films. The Nicholas cage wig is in full effect in this film.
April 29, 2016
Nicholas Cage, what the heck is this, Season of the Witch looks terrible and is terrible. I laughed so hard because of how bad the movie was.
jamrcla
March 26, 2016
A much better film than I was expecting, I enjoyed the plot and the fight scenes, The demon effects were not very good but oh well, Not a must see but an easy enjoyable watch.
½ March 26, 2016
A 10% rating by critics tells me that I must have a fondness for failed films (as if I didn't know that already), because I actually quite liked this one. A fantasy action film that has a dungeons and dragons feel to it, as a handful of knights set off on a journey to take a young girl to trial, given she is perceived to be demonstrating the characteristics of a witch, and guilty of summoning the plague to every nearby village. Battling wolves, treacherous conditions, the threat of the acclaimed sorceress, and divided opinion amongst themselves, they attempt to reach the monastery where the monks trial will determine the true extent of the prisoners powers. This was a very easy watch, with a simple plot, and several action scenes to keep one entertained. Mixing religion and war, this culminates as a simple battle against the devil himself, in one big supernatural showdown. Sometimes one to divide opinion, Cage does nothing to harm his credentials here, although the film itself will never truly light up the Hollywood stage. Good to witness as a one off but unlikely to be memorable down the line when you have several other TV series like Game of Thrones offering more critically acclaimed fantasy action for a similar target audience.
½ January 31, 2016
The history of the battles it mentions in the opening sequence are all off - by a couple of hundred years. The acting performances are SHOCKING and the accents are all over the place. Some are American, some are English, some are a mixture of the two. The storyline could have provided an half decent film with the right cast, but it's been so, so, so poorly done.
January 19, 2016
Ron Perlman is the only highlight here but he can't save an entire movie that is badly made and boring to watch. It's the worst kind of bad; so bad that it's awfull.
November 8, 2015
Aburrida en todo los sentidos.
July 27, 2015
What happens when you take something you are a big fan of and something you're not a fan of at all and put them together, you get this movie. In my case the thing I'm a fan of is Nicolas Cage films and the thing I'm not a fan of is Medieval movies and Witch/Exorcism movies. Now the acting and fighting scenes are kinda cool, but not even the great Nicolas Cage can save this for me, this is not my kind of movie at all, I only watched it because of Cage, I've seen worse but this is just one of those movies I can only see once, sorry Nic.