Bakjwi (Thirst) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bakjwi (Thirst) Reviews

½ September 12, 2017
Another take on a vampire romance movie. It had some slow poetic moments, but also had useless B-Movie CGI. Overall its a great movie if you can ignore some of the drawbacks, not the best choice for your first korean film, but you can really enjoy it if you are already familiar with this kind of filmmaking.
September 10, 2017
Very visually stunning. The story was thought provoking and well laid out throughout. The erotic, love affair between the two leads was superbly well told and acted. I was left rooting for them even in the end despite all that happens. Thirst is a dark love story for sure, one that explorers not only passionate romances but meanings of life and humanity, god and death, morality and justice. I finished the movie feeling satisfied at the conclusivity of the story and the characters. I'd certainly watch this again.
February 27, 2017
3 stars. BD. ???????????????????????????????????????????????????81%????????????????????????????????
January 27, 2017
Thought it might go in a different direction but the last hour or so is watchable.The first hour really showed promise but soon devolved.
November 16, 2016
Vampires, murder plots, religion, a reluctantly empowered man, a woman seeking freedom--- mix until blended. Also, incest, because Chan Wook Park. Makes for an interesting watch. This was at least 2 genres melded together in an odd way.
October 28, 2016
Sometimes rather opaque to this relative novice to Korean cinema, but entertaining, engaging and sometimes blackly humourous.
September 19, 2016
Quiero imprimir cada fotograma de esta película y decorar mi habitación.
Park Chan-wook haceme 20 hijos.
April 18, 2016
Vampirism with morality (and science). Song plays a catholic priest infected with bloodlust during a medical procedure. His conflicts and, later, his opposite's, make for the central conflict. Are vampires human or beasts feeding on prey?
March 12, 2016
There were moments for its odd sense of comedy noir but far from amusing overall.
½ November 16, 2015
Although somewhat irregular and overlong, this is a wonderfully stylish, well-directed and bloody vampire Korean film whose pitch-black humor contributes to set a hysterical, hugely bizarre tone in Park's surreal gore fest, with Kim Ok-bin in a priceless performance.
November 5, 2015
The plot is copied from Emile Zola's Therese Raquin. with the vampirism and Catholicism thrown in. This film is simply not as powerful as Zola"s masterpiece is minus the vampires and the guilt of a priest trying to help mankind, who becomes a vampire with a conscience, which, gee-that has also has also been done. So, there's nothing new here, except for throwing the two together. Disappointing. I can't help but think that this film wouldn't have been so highly rated if more of the critics and audiences had been familiar with the Zola book.
½ October 14, 2015
Good cinematography and acting, but the subject matter was a bit too dark and depressing for my tastes.
½ August 19, 2015
I have been overwhelmed by the influx of tremendous films coming from South Korea in the last 15 years. Song Kang-ho is a great actor, but Thirst did not reel me in at any point. It boasts an Interesting story-line at the beginning, but there should have been more highs and lows to keep the audience's attention. The emotional mindset of the characters remain static throughout the film, leaving viewers to watch the same scenario, different scene until the end.
August 10, 2015
Off-kilter and deliriously messed up, Thirst showcases the stylistic prowess of Korean director Park Chan-Wook
August 8, 2015
Fascinating and disturbing love story, way better than twilight :P very well constructed and a little confusing at times
½ July 31, 2015
A film that would describe how ''Til death do us part'' feels like. I don't see this as a horror film/vampire film after watching it. It's a mad love story that scared the hell out of me. Operatic to a fault. This is my favorite Park chan-wook film so far.
April 9, 2015
Forget Twilight/True Blood/all those other vampire movies. Thirst is my all-time FAVORITE vampire flick (and my favorite movie of 2009). Park Chan-wook's supernatural spin-off of Émile Zola's Thérčse Raquin is wild, daring, bloody, romantic, sexy, funny, and downright B.I.Z.A.R.R.E. A classic in my books.
March 22, 2015
The trailer for this movie made it look amazing, and it was definitely one I wanted to see. Sadly, it wasn't as great as the trailer made it out to be. Although some would probably disagree, it wasn't nearly as dark or depressing of a movie as the trailer was. Even though some of the scenes and various activities from time to time may have been, it wasn't as emotionally and psychologically dark as the trailer felt; only physically dark. Toward the middle and end of the film it was actually more like a dark comedy, or if nothing else, much lighter and easy going than the first half. Thirst definitely isn't a bad movie, and I found it very entertaining and interesting, but it felt like it could have been better.
February 19, 2015
WARNING Spoilers!! Are vampires still cool and sexy? Well as long as films like Thirst exist, you bet your ass they are. This movie combines all my favorite things into one film. It's violent, twisted, provocative, everything. What really surprised me though was how dynamic the romance between the two main characters was. It starts off sweet and heartwarming, but things get a lot more complicated as the movie continues, and by complicated, I mean majorly disturbing. Now I say this movie was provocative, and I meant it. It's hipnoptic. Ok Bin-Kim is probably one of the sexiest vampires I've seen in a movie. As a person she seems somewhat innocent, but once she turns later in the movie , she's becomes a saditic and twisted animal. She has this charisma to her, and you can't help but like her. This film is far more dynamic than I expected, and it gives us further proof vamps are still awesome. Twilight hasn't killed vampires.