Bakjwi (Thirst) Reviews

• Nov 01, 2020

Interesting take on the classic vampire tale, as the protagonist is a priest who volunteers for a medical study and contracts the virus thus, becoming a beast that not only thirst for blood but other vice. Kim Ok-vin as deuteragonist Tae-ju is especially entertaining, and Song Kang-ho as protagonist Sang-hyun is a well done role.

• Oct 26, 2020

Park Chan-wook brings his interesting style to a well-worn genre and blends drama (where he asks question revolving around morality, in this case with a strong religious component), horror, romance and eroticism to create a vampire film quite like any other. Thanks to two great leads in Song Kang-ho and Kim Ok-vin, it remains mostly interesting throughout, but by focusing more on the relationship between the two main characters and less on the psychological and moral/religious aspects, I felt like the balance was the wrong way around. It may not be the director's best film, but as a vampire film, it's a pretty unique experience.

• Oct 12, 2020

"Thirst" is another one of the most must-watching and original horror movie made in Korean where romantic love dramas are also famous. The film requires some fundemental understanding of Christianity although it is a kind of fiction. The main story is about a priest turning into a vampire after going through a test for a vaccine against a deadly illness. "Huh? another boring and mundane Asian horror imitating the old image of Western vampire" was my initial thought and feeling but the film surprised me to the extent that is out of my expectations. The unexpected affair with the priest's old friend's wife and the thirst of a vampire put everthing out of control. The wildness and thirst that the movie presents is phenomenal breakthrough for Asian and Korean film industry. The film is a perfect combination of love drama, suspense thriller and horror. There are also many precious scenes which are both satisfying and disturbing.

• Aug 25, 2020

Something like a horror movie.

Something like a horror movie.

• Jul 19, 2020

Quirky dark humor with wonderful art direction.

Quirky dark humor with wonderful art direction.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Oct 27, 2019

Great elements are here (i.e. having the vampire be a Priest, the ways control and desire are intertwined) but I think that ultimately Chan Wook Park couldn't find a compelling way to connect these ideas.

• Oct 03, 2019

Well, I was never a fan of vampire movies, but if I want to recommend one vampire movie, this is the one!

• Aug 07, 2019

Worthy entry into the vampire mythology. I found the third act especially captivating.

• Nov 30, 2018

And just like, Chan Wook Park amazing direction and style, made me like a vampire movie: not an easy task. I am a film away to finish his filmography and "Thirst" falls somewhere in the middle, mostly because I find horrors stupid. For these reason to me the film goes from more to less, and it is a shame because it could have gone from more to even more, like "Oldboy" or "The Handmaiden" do, but I take what I can get.

• Oct 03, 2018

This movie was GREAT, happy to find on boxxy software in my audio language. Oldboy is no longer the weirdest film Chan-wook has done.?